• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

TreksInSci Blocked By Firewall

Started by Bromptonboy, February 08, 2010, 02:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bromptonboy

Just an FYI - my company subscribes to lists of sites that it will lock down on it's firewall - and our beloved Treks In Sci is now in that list of infamy!  :)

Forbidden
You were denied access because:
Access denied by SmartFilter content category.
The requested URL belongs to the following category: Entertainment;Blogs/Wiki

Reasons for this error:
Your User ID is not allowed access to this resource.
Access to the site you have requested is restricted. &&&&&& has identified categories of sites which do not contain business related information.
The page you have requested resides on a site that is not allowed.

Further information about the policies pertaining to access of World Wide Web sites can be found in the &&&&&& Internet FAQ database.
If you believe you have a busniess need to access this category of websites, please contact your Business Information Security Officer..

(company name changed - obscured to protect the innocent - and my job!  ;)   )
Pete

billybob476

To get around this I suggest Rico mirror the site under the domain www.treksinbusiness.com

Rico

Of course, if you want, there are even easier ways around blocks like this.  Use a proxy server such as:

http://www.browser9.com/
http://www.freeproxyserver.net/

sheldor

Can't the company then block these sites as well?

Rico

Quote from: sheldar on February 08, 2010, 02:34:08 PM
Can't the company then block these sites as well?

Certainly.  But they change quite a bit and most companies can't keep up with it.

Bryancd

I can't change the browser on my work's intranet site, can I?

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on February 08, 2010, 03:09:37 PM
I can't change the browser on my work's intranet site, can I?

No need to change the browser, just write down those proxy addresses above and try going to them sometime.  Then on those pages, you simple type in the web address you want to go to in the little box.

Bryancd

I did copy them, I'll try tomorrow! Fingers crossed! I miss you all during the day. :(

sheldor

Rico

Quote from: sheldar on February 08, 2010, 08:10:44 PM
What about an RSS feed?

That doesn't really work for a forum, when people want to post and so on.

billybob476

I'd just be careful going 'around' the firewall. Corporate IT tends to not like things like that (if they catch on).

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on February 09, 2010, 05:51:03 AM
I'd just be careful going 'around' the firewall. Corporate IT tends to not like things like that (if they catch on).

Joe is right - do this at your own risk.  Frankly, the whole thing is still silly to me.  If someone isn't getting their job done, that's one thing.  But most places allow for "occasional personal" use like on breaks, lunch etc.  Pretty soon they will ban talking to people at work.  ;)

Feathers

Hmmm. My setup at work completely bypasses the restrictions.

Having said that, when we move site in August, that will end. Fortunately, this site isn't one that's blocked :)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Darkmolerman

Quote from: Rico on February 08, 2010, 02:28:08 PM
Of course, if you want, there are even easier ways around blocks like this.  Use a proxy server such as:

http://www.browser9.com/
http://www.freeproxyserver.net/

lol imagine that its blocked...
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Bromptonboy

No, I will just have to suck it up, and hit this site off hours.  It isn't worth the risk of popping up on some report that will get me in hot water.
I may just have to soldier on with the iPhone..
Pete