• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Romulus and Remus?

Started by cosmonaut, December 09, 2009, 03:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

X

I think that if you look at the timeline that was posted last season, you'll see some of the mitigating factors on how the universe was shaped. We didn't go into detail in the timeline, but the answers are there.

Spock Prime was mentioned in creating a solution, but he also vanished from history 55 years before the Hobus incident.

Another things is this: Why would the Romulans blame the Federation for not saving vulcan. As you pointed out, someone had to know and being the Romulans, they would have had plenty of time to find out.

The Federation also has this thing call a temporal Prime Directive. Just because you KNOW the future doesn't mean that you will be allowed to change the Future. Maybe you're just allowed to let the Nova progress to where it would have normally been stopped.

Also, because of the whole temporal prime directive, it is still an natural disaster.

For all we know, someone from the future is there to make sure everything goes down like it's supposed to go down.

I think that this is a case of out of character information. How and why it happened is not important to the writers at this point because the story doesn't involve that. It doesn't mean that there isn't a reason, it means that the reason isn't necessary for the writers to write. This is also why I won't confirm or deny the exact cause. It's OOC information that isn't needed to write good stories.

The fallout of the destruction has been covered in the previous season.

I agree that the events are important to the story, but it is not important to the story that the writers are writing. just as we didn't give an exact cause of the events, we didn't say who was recently elected president of the Federation or how many ships are currently in the fleet. There are a billion and six things that we didn't include in the story because adding them would amount to nothing more than information dump.

Another reason is that some things need to stay secret for the sake of the story. If your characters don't know what's going on, why do you as a writer need to know? The short answer is that you don't. Keeping critical OOC information away from the player/writers is a tried and true means of directing any role playing game.

There's just too many cases of people with good intentions using information that there is no way in hell that their characters will have access too or them trying to shape the story to give their characters access to information that they know as a writer.

In the end, sometimes less in more.

X

QuoteYou could have played in any parallel universe, but you picked the JJ verse. Vulcan is gone there, that's a fact, Romulus not necessarily, so I started to wonder.
I have an answer for this too.

We're not in the JJ verse. We're in our own universe that while similar to events in the JJ verse is decidedly different from it because our character, their children, and their ancestors are a part of our timeline.

We combined ideas from not only the JJ verse, but the normal verse and a lot of stuff from the book series. Oh we also threw in a dash of the MMORPG for the heck of it.

The JJ verse spans less than 50 years.

Our verse is far more expansive and some of those differences between the standard verse and the JJ verse are in that time line.

We included the Jumbo Enterprise, but by the time that we get to our time, the ships are the size of the original universe ships. This is also addressed in the timeline.

The Excalibur class is another example. It comes from the MMORPG. Was created earlier for our RPG and based off the JJ Enterprise only made the size of the Original enterprise because we said technology progressed and allowed some things to be miniaturized.

Our warp cores are closer to the single core of the prime timeline than the multi pods of the JJ verse.

We have all that information in our heads and allowed some to be put into the various notes, but I think that there are more people that want just the facts as it pertains to their writing than those that want to know everything in the story.

As for the events not being mentioned... I have an answer to that too.

A lot of people died without warning. Why would they blame the Federation? It's not as if the romulans that we encountered had inside information as to what was happening and what people were doing to prevent it. If they did, do you really think that they would have been on Romulus?

The people in power that might have known what was going on are mostly dead or missing. Again the fact that a ultra nova was pending and would destroy everything isn't something that the general public would have been told.

That's a great example of trying to apply OOC information to an In Character situation.

You as a reader and a writer might know something, but you should never make the mistake of assuming that everyone else in the universe knows what you know.

Most of the governments on present day earth don't tell their citizens everything. It has been shown on screen and in books that the Romulans share even less with their people.

It has also been shown in the last season that even though one Romulan empire has been an ally with the federation for a while now, people still haven't gotten past their trust issues.

I can see that you would like some responsibility for what happened to be seen on screen, but again, why would it if the people don't know who to blame. All they know is that a ultra nova destroyed a chunk of Romulan Space. The Ultra nova is a natural disaster as far as they are concerned. There is also no publically known way to stop a super nova.

Again, in the minds of the people, who do you blame for not stopping something when you don't know what was going on behind the scenes?

Do you think that the Romulans would have advertised their problems or that the Federation was helping? That doesn't seem like the Romulan thing to do.

I know not seeing the answers might be a little irritating, but we're focused on the story of the characters and how they interact with the universe around them. If it becomes important to the story to hit on these questions, we will, but with the way things are now, it's just not that important.

People are more focused on trying to live than trying to find if there was some secret failed plot to save the empire and placing blame on the people that failed to succeed.

Meds

Ok don't make me put the flag out people lol were coming dangerously close to 'techno babble and snooze information'
great opinions and comments but remember ' this is our rpg and we can do what we like bar bring in superheroes, religious icons and jay leno.
Keep up the debates and questions but try not to forget it's all about being creative and having FUN. Now explain to me why Romulans and Vulcans have such bad bowl hair cuts, all that knowledge and they couldn't even get the Beatles cut right ;)

cosmonaut

Chris, that was a very detailed answer, probably much more than I needed to know! :)

Meds is right, this should be fun. Chris, you're still having fun? :)

Bryancd

NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!    ;D

X

Quote from: cosmonaut on December 12, 2009, 01:59:58 AM
Chris, that was a very detailed answer, probably much more than I needed to know! :)

LOL I was trying not to give answers. I was trying to explain why we don't give all the answers. Hopefully, the above explain why somethings have to stay secret or not touched on for the time being.

cosmonaut

Quote from: Just X on December 12, 2009, 07:41:20 AM
Quote from: cosmonaut on December 12, 2009, 01:59:58 AM

LOL I was trying not to give answers. I was trying to explain why we don't give all the answers. Hopefully, the above explain why somethings have to stay secret or not touched on for the time being.

You did, but I have to disagree with some points. ;)

Meds

Chris keep it secret, keep it safe.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on December 12, 2009, 02:24:24 PM
Chris keep it secret, keep it safe.
Hmmmm....equating the One Ring with Red Matter...interesting!
Pete