• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Season 11 Episode I

Started by X, December 06, 2009, 02:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X

Hello Guys and Ladies and welcome to the season 3 episode 1 discussion thread.

Episode 1? If you're wondering what that is, keep reading.

As Meds and I take the helm of the RPG, we've decided to make a few adjustments that will work better for the format of the RPG and the stories.

If you have noticed from writing in past season, we start off strong and then there is a lull that kicks in and slows the season. To both remedy this and to keep the creative juices flowing, we're going to try something different.

Each Season in the RPG will now last for an entire year. It will be broken into 4 bite sized episodes each.

Each Episode will last for 2 months and then there will be a month break to develop and plot the next episode. During the break time, character back story and development is not only allowed, it's recommended.

This new format will also allow players to take a breather from an episode if needed and that's a good thing.

Now on to the details.

Episode 1 {Working Title: All is but Toys (from Macbeth Act II Scene II} - Jan 3 - March 3
Episode 1 Break - March 3 - April 3

Episode 2 - April 3 - June 3
Episode 2 break - june 3 - July 3

Episode 3 - July 3 - Sep 3
Ep 3 break - sep 3 - oct 3

Episode 4 - Oct 3 - Dec 3
Ep 4 break - Dec 3 - to jan 3

The dates are a lose date, but the schedule should be set around those days.

With the adoption of the episode style, we can have certain characters featured in an episode or missing if their writer's can't participate and then get them in on the next episode.

Now, we know that this is a departure from our old format, but we believe that it has some merit to it.

Each Episode will be loosely arranged in acts that will be moved forward by the moderators, but generally lasting about 2 weeks each act if you count the opening post/ teaser as part of the first act and the epilogue as part of act 4. I think it will also help the writers again with that style. Maybe you have so things to deal with in the real world and you know that you won't be able to work on Act 1, but you think you can do some things in act 3 and 4. You know when those acts are happening, so you can plan accordingly.

Since this is a new shift, Episode 1 is going to focus on solving the murder at the end of the last season and put story ideas into place for this season.

The A story will be working on solving the crime and the B story will be just to get your characters where you want them to be for this season.

We're also hoping that the format change will lend better to the production of the Ready Room.

Please feel free voice your opinions of these potential changes and even some ideas that you might have for future episodes or the Season long story arc.

We welcome your ideas and comments.

Meds

I think this is a great way to keep the flow of the story going.

We'll be planning a skype call in the next few weeks in which we can talk about our characters and the story line. We did this a few seasons ago and i think it really helped with peoples ideas.

As Chris said feel free to throw your ideas and comments in :)

Dangelus

Some great ideas here guys. I am looking forward to seeing how it all pans out but I'm sure the changes are for the better.

Jen

Great idea guys. Thanks for taking over for me. :) Looking forward to writing with you all again.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Meds

Rico

So, there won't be a return to the 'Prime Universe' for quite some time in the RPG?

X

Quote from: Rico on December 12, 2009, 06:10:57 AM
So, there won't be a return to the 'Prime Universe' for quite some time in the RPG?
I don't think that we're going back to that one at all. When we changed direction to the TSF Universe, it was assumed to be a permanent change. We tried to take the things that we liked from all of the universes and correct some of our past miss-steps when creating the new one.

I hadn't considered going back to the old because most of the situations and character placements are reflected in the new and we'd have to pretty much rebuild the old to account for the changes in contributers.

Rico

Quote from: Just X on December 12, 2009, 07:46:04 AM
Quote from: Rico on December 12, 2009, 06:10:57 AM
I don't think that we're going back to that one at all. When we changed direction to the TSF Universe, it was assumed to be a permanent change. We tried to take the things that we liked from all of the universes and correct some of our past miss-steps when creating the new one.

I hadn't considered going back to the old because most of the situations and character placements are reflected in the new and we'd have to pretty much rebuild the old to account for the changes in contributers.

Oh, really?  Hmm.  I guess I thought differently when the change was first presented.

Meds

Well at the moment it's a continuous story from season 10. Mirror universe could return, remember never say never ;)

X

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on December 12, 2009, 02:22:20 PM
Well at the moment it's a continuous story from season 10. Mirror universe could return, remember never say never ;)
Pretty much what Meds said. Before we switched universes, we did a poll and opened a thread and decided to shift forever to the new universe. That doesn't mean that we can't visit a mirror universe at some point down the line, but this universe is our default one from now on.

In hindsight it might have been better to rebrand the change with a new season number, but we stuck to the old numbering system.

In comic terms, we're playing in our Ultimates Trek universe while keeping the numbering of the old universe. Sort of like Heroes Reborn, only making better sense. (Cookies, love, and lightly roasted unicorn for whoever gets that!)

Meds

Jen

It was meant to be permanent. We did start a thread that all the writers participated in that proposed a change, before Season 10 ever began. Changing back would mean a lot of characters would lose their jobs or be demoted. And writers who dropped out of the game in season 9 would have characters in leadership positions again. Relationships that exist now between characters would be null and void and new characters who were introduced would have to be reintroduced with whole new histories. Many rewrote character histories that we like better than the old histories.

Revisiting would be fun (like a mirror universe episode) but making a permanent return would be more work that I, personally, can do at this time.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Meds

I really don't see a return to pre season ten. No point. As Jen said above things have changed and characters are different mine for the best. When I say never say never I refer to if course The mirror universe, I don't  think I can contain evil Dcallan much longer especially with a evil shelby hanging around lol.
Seriously though as far as I am concerened thus is the new universe we play in.  

Feathers

Fine by me to carry on. I've put a lot of time into Galdars story which would have to be rehashed (and largely dumped) if we went back again. There are some attractions to the Prime universe still but with the amount of development effort in play here I think it would be hard to return.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.