• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Only 23% of high schoolers know who the first president was in my state!

Started by alanp, September 20, 2009, 03:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=11141949

We've been taking about this since the story hit.  This is pretty frightening to me.  Though I know culturally why we have allowed this to happen.  But I didn't know it was this bad.

Rico

Wow?!?  That is a bit sad.  I'm not great at history, but I do know that.

Ktrek

If the objective is to wipe out nationalistic feelings in the next generation then I can completely understand why over 75% have no clue who the first President was. As Star Trek fans we should be rejoicing instead of mourning. After all isn't this what we have been working toward?

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

KingIsaacLinksr

If my High-School Education is any sort of standard...well, this really doesn't surprise me. 

Sorry, but I pity my generation...

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

alanp

In Oklahoma coaches pretty much control the high school history and social studies classes.  And their bread isn't buttered by how much the kids no about history; it's how many games they win.

In most Oklahoma high schools I'm aware of, they don't have a real gym class that revolves around fitness and wellness. They revolve around sports.  Good for the kids who play sports but what about everyone else?  I guess they are expected to go home and eat cookies and play X-box.  I guess this is the reason Oklahoma city is the second fattest city in America according to men's fitness magazine.  This has always bothered me because everyones quality of life is raised by regular exercise.

I know someone who took the Oklahoma History Teacher's Exam last year.  Here the essay question worth 50% of the points.

"Name three differences between the European settlers, and the Indians." 

And he didn't pass the exam.  Told me that question got him.

I hate to say it but we in Oklahoma have elevated football to such a high place in the culture that its not socially acceptable to criticize it.  For a state that's very Republican and very Christian, forget politics and religion, being critical of football is about as taboo as it gets.

X

Quote from: AlanP on September 20, 2009, 10:06:45 PM
In Oklahoma coaches pretty much control the high school history and social studies classes.  And their bread isn't buttered by how much the kids no about history; it's how many games they win.

In most Oklahoma high schools I'm aware of, they don't have a real gym class that revolves around fitness and wellness. They revolve around sports.  Good for the kids who play sports but what about everyone else?  I guess they are expected to go home and eat cookies and play X-box.  I guess this is the reason Oklahoma city is the second fattest city in America according to men's fitness magazine.  This has always bothered me because everyones quality of life is raised by regular exercise.

I know someone who took the Oklahoma History Teacher's Exam last year.  Here the essay question worth 50% of the points.

"Name three differences between the European settlers, and the Indians."  

And he didn't pass the exam.  Told me that question got him.

I hate to say it but we in Oklahoma have elevated football to such a high place in the culture that its not socially acceptable to criticize it.  For a state that's very Republican and very Christian, forget politics and religion, being critical of football is about as taboo as it gets.
For the record, I'd like to say I went to school in both Del City and Edmond Okalhoma and I couldn't diagree with you more about the school system. I actually didn't take any form of gym while in highschool and got my credits through the airforce JROTC.

In fact, I went to a lot of highshools in Texas and Oklahoma and I think that the fondest memories I have of learning about history were in the classes from Edmond, which wasn't run by anyone connected to football or any other sport.

Currently, my nephew is attending school in Edmond and living with my father. He transfered from Tulsa where, I'd happily admit, he wasn't doing so well because of various issues. Under my father's guiding hand, he is now an a- B+ student and starting on the JV team.

My only question is: Where are the parents in all of this? When should they step up and take responsibility for the failures of their children? I think that if your kid can't name the first president, that's a problem with you and not the school. That's something that they never should have left the house not knowing.

My parents worked damned hard to created a sense of wonder in me. I've attempted to do the same with my own child. If there are any failures here, they are because the parents are failing their own children. My child doesn't just go to school to be away from home for a few hours. She goes to reenforce the things that she has learned at home and to pick up new things and new questions at school. While I'm grateful that the school is there, it's not the school's job to make sure my daughter gets the best out of her experience there.

When I was in school, I was very bored with the whole concept and by the fourth grade, I realized that public schools move at the learning pace of the slowest person in the classroom and then hovers in the median.

Teachers have a herd of kids to help and those that are on the higher end of the curve usually needs to be self motivate or their grades will suffer. Those on the lower end of the scale, while a lot of the class work moves at their level, need to work harder not to get left behind. Those in the median can learn safely and be challenged because this is where most kids will be.

In all cases, it's up to the parents to help or challenge the kids when they get home. Learning is a 24/7 event and not something that should be confined to a few hours each week day plus homework.

Rico

You are absolutely correct Chris that the parents need to be involved and part of the learning process.  I used to teach, Lynn has been a teacher her whole career and we both know very well that kids with parents that both care and are involved with their kids and their education do much better than those that just ignore them.  It's a group effort.  Maybe information like this will wake some of them up.

PepperDude

Yes Chris, parents have the biggest blame here. However, let's not forget that the school system in the U.S. emphasizes math and science, and probably sports, above all other subjects.

Rico

Quote from: PepperDude on September 21, 2009, 08:09:53 AM
However, let's not forget that the school system in the U.S. emphasizes math and science, and probably sports, above all other subjects.

Actually, that is not exactly true anymore.  It's fairly well-rounded these days and that has to do with even more standardized testing being done.  It's still kind of hard to believe this statistic for me.  I mean he's on the dollar bill!

Feathers

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Quote from: Feathers on September 21, 2009, 09:25:27 AM
Who is he? (I'm foreign...remember? ;))

Mike - I even know who is on the currency in your country.  It's an older lady - right?  ;)

ChadH

The really sad thing is that a higher percentage of those same kids tested could probably correctly tell you who won on American Idle the past three years. How can you make knowledge of history and other "boring" school subjects appealing to older kids (10-18)? At that age they're more likely to want to remember information that will give them something in common with their peers. 

ChadH

Quote from: Ktrek on September 20, 2009, 08:08:08 PM
If the objective is to wipe out nationalistic feelings in the next generation then I can completely understand why over 75% have no clue who the first President was. As Star Trek fans we should be rejoicing instead of mourning. After all isn't this what we have been working toward?

Kevin
Yay! We're winning?

Feathers

Quote from: Rico on September 21, 2009, 10:05:54 AM
Quote from: Feathers on September 21, 2009, 09:25:27 AM
Who is he? (I'm foreign...remember? ;))

Mike - I even know who is on the currency in your country.  It's an older lady - right?  ;)

Oh. Let me check...

Actually, we have other historic characters on them as well like Shakespear or Faraday. I can't remember who's on the current crop. (Obviously The Queen is on all of them too :))

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

alanp

Most of Oklahoma's schools are either small town or rural schools.  I'm sure things are different at the suburban schools around Oklahoma City.

My first day of college history the professor asked how many of us had a coach teach us American History in high school.  Every hand went up.  He said he had his work cut out for him...

I know a few history majors who couldn't get a job unless they could coach.  Heck I'm a history minor and I could pass the exams, but I don't see them hiring me.

A major fundamental problem with our schools, in my opinion, is that education is no longer a privilege and an opportunity; it's now a right.  My grandparents who grew up dirt poor in the depression instilled in me that my public school was a privilege, like a driver's license.  If someone abuses their driving privilege, it goes away.  I don't like them turning into babysitting systems.  We need more people like Joe Clark from the movie Lean on Me (based on a true story) running schools.