• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Trekkie vs. Trekker

Started by Geekyfanboy, August 29, 2009, 10:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one do you prefer being called

Trekkie
Trekker

Geekyfanboy

From Wiki

"Some Star Trek enthusiasts prefer the term "Trekkie", while some others self-identify as "Trekker". Self-identification as a "Trekkie" became even less popular after a famous national television parody in 1986; several self-described "Trekkers" were quoted as saying they "had a life" (contrasting themselves from "Trekkies").

In the 1991 TV show Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Special, Leonard Nimoy attempts to settle the issue by stating that the term 'Trekker' is the correct one.

In the documentary Trekkies, Kate Mulgrew stated that Trekkers are the ones "walking with us" while the Trekkies are the ones content to simply sit and watch Star Trek.

The issue is also shown in the film Trekkies 2, in which a Star Trek fan recounts a supposed incident during a Star Trek convention where Gene Roddenberry used the term "trekkies" to describe fans of the show, only to be corrected by a fan that stood up and yelled "Trekkers!" Gene Roddenberry allegedly responded with "No, it's 'Trekkies.' I should know — I invented the thing." Roddenberry has also allegedly used the term "Trekker" in interviews and personal appearances, arguably proving that he did in actual fact not consider either term to be the correct one."

So which is it for you??

For me personally I am a Trekkie and always will be.

KingIsaacLinksr

Trekker for some reason has always bugged me.  It sounds derogatory for Trek-peeps.  I guess its because the er makes it sound darker.

Trekkie on the other hand has this more light-like emphasis to it when you say it in English.  I also prefer this way of talking about myself.

Which is correct?  I say Trekkie, but this sort of controversy may never be answered.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

moyer777

I'm a Trekkie.  Simple as that! :)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

ElfManDan

Trekkie, I've always preferred being called a Trekkie. I had a friend who always called me Trekker and I really didn't like it. He seemed to think that Trekkies were fans and then Trekkers were uberfans (though it should be noted he was neither so his thoughts on the matter I don't believe carries a lot of weight).

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: moyer777 on August 29, 2009, 10:40:41 PM
I'm a Trekkie.  Simple as that! :)

I seem to remember you making a video about being the biggest trekkie....

heh heh heh  :)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

PepperDude

Trekkie. It just sounds better to me.

Feathers

Trekkie. The term Trekker annoys me for no readily apparent reason.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Trekkie was the first term coined and no amount of comedy routines or other comments can change that.  I was a Trekkie before most people even knew much about "Star Trek" - back in the early rerun days.  Trekkie here for life!

Bromptonboy

I like Trekkie.  To me, a Trekker is someone with a backpack hiking the Appalachian trail or on some other equivalent endeavor.  :)
Pete

Meds

Trekkie for me, it has a more warm and friendly feel, trekker just sounds like you go rambling through the forest.

X

I'm a me. I can't be pigeonholed into something as simple as a title. I think it encompasses more than that, but when the clueless people ask am I a trekkie, I say yes because it's something that they can understand. I actually prefer futurist because Trek represents more than a story but a possibility of something if we worked for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurist

Ktrek

I suppose I will be alone in my voting here but I prefer the term Trekker. Trekkie is too much like a cult follower and Trekker to me is one who is on a journey. I really don't like either term that much as a designation but if I had to choose it would be Trekker.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

alanp

I have no strong feelings toward either.

M-5

Quote from: Ktrek on August 30, 2009, 11:59:46 AM
I suppose I will be alone in my voting here but I prefer the term Trekker. Trekkie is too much like a cult follower and Trekker to me is one who is on a journey. I really don't like either term that much as a designation but if I had to choose it would be Trekker.

Kevin

Agreed.

Jobydrone

If I was forced to classify my love for Star Trek I would call myself a Trekkie, because like Rico I have loved the show since before the other term was coined or adopted by fans.  It seems like the term Trekker came about because of people's desire to separate themselves from the stigma somehow associated with the term Trekkie as being a sci fi geek or nerd.  I've never had that desire, nor do I particularly care what the majority of people think of my tastes, likes and dislikes.  Not that I would ever go so far as to correct someone if they called me a Trekker. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx