• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"Star Trek" XI - Blu-Ray and DVD info

Started by Rico, June 24, 2009, 06:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Trekmovie.com has some details about the upcoming DVD and Blu-Ray release of the "Star Trek" movie.  The details are unconfirmed, but are from a European release source so I think they are pretty accurate.  It looks like a DVD, a deluxe DVD set and a Blu-Ray release will be coming.  Some nice deleted scenes:

Star Trek (2009 movie) Blu-ray Details

Technical

Picture: 2.35:1 (1080p)
Sound: German Dolby Digital 5.1, English Dolby True HD 5.1, English Audio Description, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: German, English and others

Extras:

* Audio commentary (JJ Abrams, Bryan Burke, Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof, Roberto Orci)
    * Featurettes:
          o Where no man has gone before:
                + The Shatner conundrum
                + The redshirt guy,
                + The green girl
                + Trekker alert!
          o Casting
          o A new vision ("Savage Pressure")
          o Starships:
                + Warp explained
                + Painting work
                + Accelerated bridge construction
                + The captain's chair
                + Operating the buttons
                + Shuttle shuffle
                + Accelerated Narada construction
          o Aliens:
                + The alien paradox
                + The girl with the big eyes
                + Big pro Quinto
                + Klingons
                + Drakoulias anatomy 101
          o Planets:
                + Additional businesses
                + Confidentiality
          o Equipment and costumes: Klingon costumes
          o Sound
          o Music
          o Gene Roddenberry's vision
    * Deleted scenes:
          o Spock's birth
          o Klingons capture Narada
          o Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank
          o Amanda and Sarek argue after Spock's fight
          o Interrogation and escape from prison
          o Sarek and Amanda
          o Bedroom and Kobayashi Maru (original version)
          o Kirk apologizes to the green girl
          o Sarek sees Spock Prime
    * Starfleet vessel simulator (probably BD only)
    * Star Trek gag reel
    * Trailers:
          o Teaser trailer
          o Theatrical trailer "The wait is over"
          o Theatrical trailer "Prepare for the beginning"
          o Theatrical trailer "Buckle up"
    * Star Trek: D-A-C demo (trailer) for XBOX 360
    * BD Live options

As for the release date, Amazon Germany has it listed for October 5th. Paramount Home Entertainment is not confirming any release dates or details. However, sources indicate that the date is likely accurate for Europe, but that the US date could be later, possibly late October or November.

Deleted Scenes show 'origins' got most of the cuts
As reported before, but now seen in more detail, the part of the Star Trek movie that was most affected by the editor's blade was origin stories for Kirk and Spock plus Nero's time with the Klingons. The deleted scenes listed above seem to be in the order that they would have appeared in the film, almost all of which would have been before the Narada's attack on Vulcan. It seems that the brunt of the cutting was from Spock's childhood/adolescence and Nero's 'lost years' (which is also being turned into comic book series). In the TrekMovie review of the Star Trek movie, it was noted that that the origin story part of the film felt like it went by too fast, so these deleted scenes will be very welcome.   

Jobydrone

I hope there's an option on the blue ray to watch with the deleted scenes added into the movie as well as to watch the original cut.  They will probably milk us for a director's cut later on though.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

wraith1701

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on June 25, 2009, 09:02:18 AM
I hope there's an option on the blue ray to watch with the deleted scenes added into the movie as well as to watch the original cut.  They will probably milk us for a director's cut later on though.

...And I have a feeling I'll buy both. :)

Ktrek

I kind of doubt there will be a directors edition with restored footage and thus additional scoring. From what I have read JJ does not go in for that kind of thing. If he made a creative decision to cut something it was for good reason.

Anyway, we'll be buying the Blu-Ray when it comes out!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Dangelus

I knew there were some juicy deleted scenes!

Hopefully they will be complete and in mastered quality on the DVD and can be watched in the movie. If not I'm sure a fan made 'extended cut' will be out in no time.

Rico

Trailer ad for the upcoming DVD & Blu-Ray sets.  Same trailer as we've seen before, except at the end with the date listed for the video releases.

Star Trek XI DVD Blu-ray Trailer

Rico

And this is even better to watch.  You get to see some cool behind the scenes stuff and Leonard Nimoy's last day of filming.

Star Trek Comic Con 2009 DVD Blu-ray Trailer and Special Features Preview

Jaames

I'm sure someone has posted this by now but i couldn't find it. Have you guys seen this?

http://www.amazon.com/Limited-Replica-Three-Disc-Digital-Exclusive/dp/B002HWRZH0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1253749852&sr=8-9

I have never bought any toys, replicas, models, etc, but I think this would look fantastic on my desk. If you subtract the cost of the Blu-ray it's makes the replica roughly $65. Is that decent for a quality 10" model?

Rico

Yep - seen it.  I think I even made it a Trek Daily pic awhile back.  There is a thread going about the DVD/Blu-Ray release.  I'll merge it into that.

KingIsaacLinksr

0_o  That's pretty tempting.  Might get it tbh, since I'm already sure I'll be getting the Blue Ray version..hmm....

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

This looks so great. I want the Best Buy Exclusive with the badges.