• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

wraith1701

Kingons in the mix would be cool. It would be a kick to see New Kirk face off with New Kor, or New Kang. :)

RickPeete

I would love to see Klingons in the sequel. They are essential villain in TOS and we are in that time period.  Butni have to say that an updated encounter with the Doomsday Machine would look cool.  The original Doomsday device was a prototype (based upon a TNG novel that was really cool!) so battling the full model could be fair game.

wraith1701

That would be a cool idea as well.  The plot allows the possibility for some really intense drama.

No matter what the main storyline is, they should still throw in some klingon action. Maybe open the film with a semi-comical run-in between Enterprise & a Klingon ship. This could start to establish The Empire's animosity towards Kirk, and the way he consistently vexes them.

RickPeete

The novel I mentioned was called "Vendetta" and was written by Peter David.  In it, the Doomsday Device was a weapon of last resort against the Borg by a now-extinct race known only as Species 4672 to the Borg.  The device is controlled by telepathic link to it's pilot (the prototype was automated).

In another Voyager book, Janeway had to battle another Planet Killer, this time without another starship to use as a bomb.  It has also appeared in several Trek video games for the PC.

RickPeete

Another thought: what about the Organians?

Ooooooooo!  What if the Vulcans who are now struggling to repatriate themselves on a new planet get really pissed and depressed and a branch of them decide to return to "the old ways".  They contact the Romulans to forge a new alliance with their cousins who are in a better position to offer protection.  This of course offers the Romulans improved technology thereby scaring the Federation/Starfleet to respond to this potential threat.  The Klingons wouldn't like this alliance either so they increase hostilities against both groups.

Feathers

I think the Organians are still pretty much too powerful to have much of a story built around them although they could end a different story pretty effectively.

I do like the Doomsday scenarios but then I always like dangerous automated machine type tales.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

wraith1701

My money is still on at least an appearance of Klingons. Just look at the 'in-universe' political climate at the end of the last film:

-The Federation has been arguably thrown off balance by the destruction of one of its founding worlds

-A large number of Starfleet ships have been wiped out by the same threat that eliminated Vulcan

-This same threat has touched the Klingon Empire, resulting in the destruction of several warships and a prison revolt/escape on Rura Penthe

-A new ship called Enterprise single-handedly eliminates the threat, presumably with the aid of some new Super-Weapon called 'Red Matter'

It seems to me that the Klingons would be interested in finding out exactly how the Federation could succeed where they failed. Rising tension between the Federation & Klingon Empire... I imagine they'd also be interested in exactly what Red Matter is and how the Federation intends to use it. I'm imagining a scenario similar to the Genesis situation from Trek III.  But with a new flavor, of course.

RickPeete

Since they have no more Red Matter, the movie would be "The Corbomite Maneuver" part duex. Lol

billybob476

Not to mention that the Klingons were in the first movie and later cut out.

Rico

Well, Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman have started to write the script to the next Trek film.  This means the basics of the story are now done and they have the ideas in place to continue.  Awesome!

Regarding details on what the story is for the Star Trek sequel, the filmmakers have talked about how the sequel will be "bigger" in terms of scale and go "deeper" into the characters, but there are no specific plot details. It has been confirmed that the USS Enterprise crew cast will be back (Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, John Cho, and Anton Yelchin). But there are many big questions remaining to be answered, here are just a few:

* Who will direct (if Abrams decides not to do it, then who?)
    * What will it be called (and will it have "Star Trek" in the title)?
    * Budget (bigger than 2009 film, smaller? the same?)
    * 3-D or not 3-D
    * Who/what is the villain (Khan, Klingons, both, others?)
    * Will we see new familiar Trek characters (Nurse Chapel, Harry Mudd, others?)
    * Will William Shatner be in it?
    * Who else will be returning from 2009 movie (Greenwood, Ben Cross, others?)
    * Who will be cast for key new roles (possibly big name star to boost int'l box office?)
    * Will there be any changes to the look (ship, sets, uniforms, props)
    * Will/how much will sequel carry on storylines from first film (Spock/Uhura, destruction of Vulcan, Spock Prime's knowledge, etc.)

And of course...will there be more or less lens flares?

more here:
http://trekmovie.com/2010/10/12/exclusive-scripting-started-for-star-trek-sequel/

loutzee

Lol ,if there was any more lens flare you wouldn't be able to see the actors,they would save money on the sets
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."

Geekyfanboy

I don't know why but I can't get excited over this new Trek.. I mean I enjoyed the movie but it's so not my Star Trek. I miss my Star Trek.

Rico

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on October 13, 2010, 06:38:01 PM
I don't know why but I can't get excited over this new Trek.. I mean I enjoyed the movie but it's so not my Star Trek. I miss my Star Trek.

Perhaps you can just view it as a new, fun Sci-Fi movie series Kenny.  For me at least, it hasn't replaced any of the Trek that has come before or what I loved about it.  It's just a cool new thing that I enjoyed a lot and hope the next one is even more awesome than the first film was.

ElfManDan

I agree with Kenny. It's not that the new Trek movie wasn't great, but it's not what I want when it comes to Trek.