• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

A TV series in the prime timeline and movies in the JJ-verse would be confusing to casual watchers I would think.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on September 16, 2013, 01:05:23 PM
A TV series in the prime timeline and movies in the JJ-verse would be confusing to casual watchers I would think.

Possibly.  But I don't think casual watchers watch the Trek TV shows.  Trek fans do.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on September 16, 2013, 04:10:42 PM
Quote from: billybob476 on September 16, 2013, 01:05:23 PM

Possibly.  But I don't think casual watchers watch the Trek TV shows.  Trek fans do.

But CBS will want a show that is more inclusive before ponying up the dough. Trek fans can only support so much for a network and if that fan base is bifurcated then they will be even more interested in capturing the casual fan. Say what one will about JJ trek, but it is FAR more inclusive then what came before.

X

Let's face it. There's just too much damned good sci-fi on tv right now for them to even care about a new tv series. There are just too many slices of the pie already taken even before the pilot airs. When you factor in that space shows tend to be more expensive than most other sci-fi shows, you might want to hedge your bets with the less muddled new show than trying to put out new trek tv not connected to the movies on a budget that can actually make a quality product.

I don't see that happening any time soon. I don't see any ship based sci-fi happening any time soon. Look at Continuum ... a quality sci-fi show, but with a very well done effects budget.

Rico

Very good points Chris.  Much as I'd love a new Trek series, there are lots of cool things to watch on TV these days - some great non-SF stuff too.

Ktrek

I'd love to see a new Trek show on TV but I just don't think that's going to happen. I don't think CBS has any confidence  in the series outside of their Blu-Ray remasters and I'll be surprised if they actually move on and do DS9 or VOY. If they do my bet would be VOY would be the show to get the treatment because I think they see it as more marketable. DS9 has a good following but it is more niche than the ship shows. You never know though. My preference would be DS9 but that's because it's my personal favorite of all the series.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

When a new Trek series arrives (and it will), I doubt it will be set in a previous show's setting.  I would think they would do something new.

billybob476

Quote from: Rico on September 17, 2013, 03:30:54 AM
When a new Trek series arrives (and it will), I doubt it will be set in a previous show's setting.  I would think they would do something new.

We thought they'd do that for the movies too... :)

Rico

Well, JJ Trek is about as new as we are going to get for movies right now.

Dangelus

Quote from: billybob476 on September 17, 2013, 05:57:22 AM
Quote from: Rico on September 17, 2013, 03:30:54 AM

We thought they'd do that for the movies too... :)

LOL!

billybob476

ElfManDan

On the topic of a new Star Trek TV series I've had a thought. If we did get a new Star Trek series on TV personally I'd like to see a whole different universe. Not connected to the new universe or the old one. Not using the characters we know, but taking the cultures, the races, and federation and building more into those. I have to say TNG being my favorite series, was made so by some of my favorite episodes involved heavy Klingon culture. It was always something I wanted to see more of, and I wanted to see it fleshed out further then we ever saw. Imagine taking a bunch of these Star Trek races and making a series that focuses on a future that may not be quite as perfect as we've seen in Trek before. I'm thinking it would be cool to see something a little darker and more almost realistic, but still holding the values of hope for the future while we sail out into the great unknown and involve ourselves more with these expansive cultures. Thoughts?

Bryancd

Rico

As I have been saying...it's up to CBS.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on September 19, 2013, 05:53:37 AM
As I have been saying...it's up to CBS.

I thought that was what I was saying.... ;)