• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatfather_2005

but i have only seen it once, lol i should taken more notice, lol
In the Absense of Light, the Darkness Prevails.

ElfManDan

Saw the films today and loved it. I don't know what you all have said yet I've been avoiding this thread since the film came out just cause I didn't want to know anything going in. But my thought is I think it was better than the first. It was action heavy, but unlike the first one I didn't feel like the action and chaos was unnecessary. It fit into the story and continued to move forward with the action. Never a dull moment.

Though I still have the same problem I had with the first one that it doesn't feel like the Star Trek I know. The pace was way to fast and it was over the top, but that being said I'm realizing this it's not the Star Trek I know. It's new and it's exciting and I love it. I never quite accepted this new universe after the last film, but after this film I'm accepting this as part of Star Trek.

Though a few little things, cause no movie is perfect...
[spoiler]How conveniently pulling Kirk from Captain and Pike dies (saw that coming).

I thought Klingons take no prisoners? (Maybe they were feeling merciful that day.)

Nobody with all the advanced sensor tech (or even eyes) noticed Scott flying into the hanger of a top secret (I'd think secure) Vengeance under construction.

Spock yells KHANNNNNN!!! Out of character, even for an emotional Spock to me (that's supposed to be Kirk's moment anyhow, just throw me out of the film a little).[/spoiler]

That said here's what I loved...
[spoiler]Kirk having to actually deal with being a Captain. I felt he shouldn't have been Captain at the end of the last movie. He went from being cadet to oh now you're a Captain. No working through the ranks, just Captain. I can understand in an emergency, but went it's all over it should go back to proper Captain. So it was nice seeing him get cut down a little (even if you know emergency and admiral manipulation plays a part in getting him back in the chair). It felt more like the Kirk we know to me. Khan and the Admiral both great bad guys, and not stupid either.

Khan really kicking butt. Maybe we didn't see that in the Original series, but he is a super human. That Klingon battle scene was pretty cool.

The scene where Kirk died (I mean of course I knew Khan's blood would bring him back {another obvious plot hole here, but I digress}). Watching that scene was great (I was tearing up myself).

Carol Marcus (I know we have a thread going elsewhere about hottest woman in Trek. So I've made my decision now).

Overall the movie felt like well put together, a few things here or there, but I enjoyed seeing a crew that wasn't so forced together or at each others throats. Little arguments (just like old times), but they were a crew. I felt there weren't so many cheap jokes and filler scenes. The film was solid and to repeat I love it.[/spoiler]

ElfManDan

Quote from: Bryancd on May 21, 2013, 07:49:25 PM
Quote from: fatfather_2005 on May 21, 2013, 07:41:54 PM

Here, enjoy!

http://io9.com/a-close-up-look-at-the-star-trek-easter-egg-you-might-h-509076595

I loved those ships on the desk. I noticed the Phoenix there too. History of flight I'd say.

Praxis

Quote from: ElfManDan on May 23, 2013, 09:42:28 PM
Quote from: Bryancd on May 21, 2013, 07:49:25 PM
Quote from: fatfather_2005 on May 21, 2013, 07:41:54 PM

Here, enjoy!

http://io9.com/a-close-up-look-at-the-star-trek-easter-egg-you-might-h-509076595

I loved those ships on the desk. I noticed the Phoenix there too. History of flight I'd say.

Yeah, awesome. Damn, that Kelvin is a cool ship.

Praxis

So I finally experienced my 2nd viewing of STID last night! This time in 2d and with my wife.
It was still great, but I was surprised by some of my reaction. Nitpicks (transporting with shields, why not get some blood from a different popsicle, etc) were definitely more noticeable, but ultimately I don't care about those. What really struck me this time was how it didn't feel very "star trek-y". At first I thought this might be because most of the movie takes place off of the enterprise, but many of the movies are like that. I've decided the reason is: a) I don't have a nice long tv-show relationship with these actors and b) I don't have a nice long tv-show relationship with jj's visual interpretation of the trek universe (even though I like it quite a bit). Maybe it's just a matter of letting this second viewing simmer a bit longer.....

Bryancd

I think that is a very very crticism. I think we need to be able to love our fandom and still be a little critical.

bevs_plaything

Quote from: Praxis on June 02, 2013, 11:52:56 AM
So I finally experienced my 2nd viewing of STID last night! This time in 2d and with my wife.
It was still great, but I was surprised by some of my reaction. Nitpicks (transporting with shields, why not get some blood from a different popsicle, etc) were definitely more noticeable, but ultimately I don't care about those. What really struck me this time was how it didn't feel very "star trek-y". At first I thought this might be because most of the movie takes place off of the enterprise, but many of the movies are like that. I've decided the reason is: a) I don't have a nice long tv-show relationship with these actors and b) I don't have a nice long tv-show relationship with jj's visual interpretation of the trek universe (even though I like it quite a bit). Maybe it's just a matter of letting this second viewing simmer a bit longer.....

I enjoyed the movie as a throw away popcorn movie, but it's not the Trek I grew up with.  I am sure that it will get 'the next generation' ;) interested in the franchise, but I consider the new movie to be essentially 'lazy writing.'  With a new time-line to explore we see a rehash of an old story.  I hope we get an entirely new story in the next movie!!

davekill

For a fresh perspective on Into Darkness you might want to listen to the Starbase 66 movie review.
Mostly positive... some good insights... very enjoyable.
http://www.simplysyndicated.com/shows/starbase66/

ChrisMC

Startrek.com article on that robot-y officer on the Enterprise bridge, and the actor who portrays him. Apparently his name is Science Officer 0718, and he's cybernetically enhanced, not an android.

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-treks-cybernetically-augmented-science-officer-joseph-gatt-part-1

Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Dangelus

Quote from: ChrisMC on June 06, 2013, 05:13:34 PM
Startrek.com article on that robot-y officer on the Enterprise bridge, and the actor who portrays him. Apparently his name is Science Officer 0718, and he's cybernetically enhanced, not an android.

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-treks-cybernetically-augmented-science-officer-joseph-gatt-part-1

Borg!  ;)

Bromptonboy

Hmmm...I wonder.  How is this enhancement different ethically from the genetic manipulation of which Khan and crew are a product?  Enhancing a living person and assigning him a numeric signifier and no name...    (just nit picking).  :)
Pete

Bryancd

Quote from: Bromptonboy on June 07, 2013, 03:42:22 AM

Hmmm...I wonder.  How is this enhancement different ethically from the genetic manipulation of which Khan and crew are a product?  Enhancing a living person and assigning him a numeric signifier and no name...    (just nit picking).  :)

I agree, not sure I want that sort in my Federation.

X

Geordi was cybernetically enhanced, as was Pike and a few others.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: X on June 07, 2013, 06:07:24 AM
Geordi was cybernetically enhanced, as was Pike and a few others.
Yes, but he did not seem to become a machine himself - and assigned a numeric name to replace Geordi.  I didn't read the link you posted, this is just a gut reaction to seeing him.  He appears to be test-tube bred or a construct of some sort.  If he is just a regular guy who has had parts added to him, I wonder why he is 'Science Officer 0718'  and not Science Officer 'Art Vandelay'.  :)
Pete