• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davekill

Quote from: Bryancd on September 15, 2012, 02:46:58 PM
Quote from: WillEagle on September 15, 2012, 01:14:54 PM
Quote from: davekill on September 15, 2012, 08:39:20 AM
Two words, Space Vampires.
That would be terrible.

Clearly you have never seen "Lifeforce".  :ohbaby

"A space shuttle mission investigating Halley's Comet brings back a malevolent race of space vampires who transform most of London's population into zombies. The only survivor of the expedition and British authorities attempt to capture a mysterious but beautiful alien woman who appears responsible."

Bryancd

Quote from: davekill on September 15, 2012, 03:01:15 PM
Quote from: Bryancd on September 15, 2012, 02:46:58 PM
Quote from: WillEagle on September 15, 2012, 01:14:54 PM
Quote from: davekill on September 15, 2012, 08:39:20 AM
Two words, Space Vampires.
That would be terrible.

Clearly you have never seen "Lifeforce".  :ohbaby

"A space shuttle mission investigating Halley's Comet brings back a malevolent race of space vampires who transform most of London's population into zombies. The only survivor of the expedition and British authorities attempt to capture a mysterious but beautiful alien woman who appears responsible."

That review leaves out the small fact that the beautiful alien woman walks around completely naked for the entire film. And Patrick Stewart is in it...fully clothed. :) It's actually a hoot of a movie with good special effects for 1985. And did I mention Mathlida Mae walks around naked the ENTIRE TIME?

X

Lol! I did enjoy that movie as a kid.

Bryancd

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on September 15, 2012, 07:59:25 AM
JJ at working editing the film...

I see a man...sitting in a chair....not DOING ANYTHING!!!! Cut the trailer, man!

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on September 15, 2012, 04:38:23 PM
Quote from: Rico on September 15, 2012, 07:59:25 AM
JJ at working editing the film...

I see a man...sitting in a chair....not DOING ANYTHING!!!! Cut the trailer, man!

Hey, video rendering takes time!  :)

Jstrat96

So is it just me or does this title make anyone else nervous.  I'm not worried about the movie itself, but the direction of the franchise.  To me, Star Trek has always been about a positive outlook on the future, unlike all of these zombie or end of the world movies.  If they're going to take it in a dark, brooding direction, Star Trek will be just like everything else we see in movies today.

Bryancd

I'm not sure we can read that much into as of yet. Certainly "The Wrath of Kahn" is kind of dark and threatening. And plentu of series episodes had a similar tone in their titles.

ChrisMC

No, it's not as if Kirk and Spock will start dressing in black and killing everything in sight. They are heroic, "bright" characters who are put in situations that challenge them. Heroes are pretty useless without a villain or danger.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

billybob476

And if I really think about it, my favourite Trek movies are a bit darker: Khan, Undiscovered Country and First Contact.

Jobydrone

I'm not worried, Trek will always be different to me than any other series, sci-fi or any other, simply because of the rich history and deep canon that exists and can never be taken away regardless of whatever direction a new iteration takes the characters and story.  The movies and TV shows are so ingrained in me, and so much a part of my youth and even my identity, that there's literally nothing the new purveyors of story could ever do to take away the love I have for this franchise.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

They could have called it "Star Trek Where No One Get's Out Alive". :)

WillEagle

If anybody is interested 'Lifeforce' is on Netflix. My wife won't let me watch it!  :o

Bryancd

Quote from: WillEagle on September 22, 2012, 06:20:27 PM
If anybody is interested 'Lifeforce' is on Netflix. My wife won't let me watch it!  :o

"I'll be in my bunk."