Star Trek movie will complicate the books?

Started by DontcallmePigboy, May 20, 2009, 11:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontcallmePigboy

In the "Main" Star Trek universe Romulus is destroyed right?  Will this create complications with the books?  In the Titan series and with the Nan Bacco administration books, The Romulan Empire has split in two.  What year was Romulus destroyed?  2381?  The Romulan Empire is apart of the Typhon pact, how will the writers resolve it's destruction.  I haven't yet read Countdown.  Is this question resolved in Countdown?  Is there a discussion elsewhere about this topic?

If anyone has any info please let me know.

Geekyfanboy

Books are never considered cannon.. so the stories in the books can continue to move forward.

DontcallmePigboy

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on May 20, 2009, 11:13:58 PM
Books are never considered cannon.. so the stories in the books can continue to move forward.

I understand, but as a fan of the relaunch series, there will be this comic, hanging out there, that contradicts the many books that have continued the stories that I watched. 

The Captain Data and Romulus destroyed parts have already contradicted:

A Time for War, A Time for Peace
The Articles of the Federation
Death in Winter
Resistance
Q & A
Before Dishonor (although I wish we could erase this book)
Greater than the Sum
The Destiny series
The Titan series
etc.

These novels, although they change much, tried to build off of existing canon.  Romulus destroyed will hurt that.  They will probably do as you suggest and ignore the recent film, but some of us geeks will have a nagging feeling.

Oh well... whatcanyadoaboutit.

X

Quote from: DontcallmePigboy on May 20, 2009, 11:11:13 PM
In the "Main" Star Trek universe Romulus is destroyed right?  Will this create complications with the books?  In the Titan series and with the Nan Bacco administration books, The Romulan Empire has split in two.  What year was Romulus destroyed?  2381?  The Romulan Empire is apart of the Typhon pact, how will the writers resolve it's destruction.  I haven't yet read Countdown.  Is this question resolved in Countdown?  Is there a discussion elsewhere about this topic?

If anyone has any info please let me know.
2387 is the year that romulas is toast.

X

Quote from: DontcallmePigboy on May 21, 2009, 12:17:48 AM
Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on May 20, 2009, 11:13:58 PM

I understand, but as a fan of the relaunch series, there will be this comic, hanging out there, that contradicts the many books that have continued the stories that I watched. 

The Captain Data and Romulus destroyed parts have already contradicted:

A Time for War, A Time for Peace
The Articles of the Federation
Death in Winter
Resistance
Q & A
Before Dishonor (although I wish we could erase this book)
Greater than the Sum
The Destiny series
The Titan series
etc.

These novels, although they change much, tried to build off of existing canon.  Romulus destroyed will hurt that.  They will probably do as you suggest and ignore the recent film, but some of us geeks will have a nagging feeling.

Oh well... whatcanyadoaboutit.
You call what they did to the borg building on canon? I think that it's just as big as nuking Romulas. I think the writers of both thought it was time for something big to happen.

Ktrek

As far as we know Pocket Books has no plans to pick up the "alternate" timeline. It's really another universe from the one we are familiar with and the books will continue as they have. And I may add THANKFULLY! I would really hate to see Pocket make a serious diversion over what has become one of the best tie-in novel series ever. Even the TOS books should remain as they were. Perhaps after two or three movies it might be worth exploring the alternate universe but not now.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine