• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

You have a question for Orci/Kurtzman?

Started by cosmonaut, May 18, 2009, 01:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmonaut

Some of you probably already know Orci sometimes comments on trekmovie.com.
But now it became a fully grown Q&A, discussing the new film in (exhausting) detail.
You are encouraged to post your questions in the 'comments' section (it's not necessary to sing up) of this article:
http://trekmovie.com/2009/05/18/orci-kurtzman-to-answer-fan-questions-at-trekmovie-transcript-of-last-weeks-impromptu-qa/

Feathers

Ah. I see the 'size of the Enterprise' question has already been posted. :)

I'll need to come back to that thread to read more.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

X

I was reading some of the questions and wondering how people missed things and got offended that they missed them.

wraith1701

Quote from: cosmonaut on May 18, 2009, 01:51:05 PM
But now it became a fully grown Q&A, discussing the new film in (exhausting) detail.
You are encouraged to post your questions in the 'comments' section (it's not necessary to sing up) of this article:
http://trekmovie.com/2009/05/18/orci-kurtzman-to-answer-fan-questions-at-trekmovie-transcript-of-last-weeks-impromptu-qa/
Thanks for the link! :)

I'm hoping they answer the size question soon... the lack of a definitive answer is giving me a headache.

cosmonaut

Quote from: Feathers on May 18, 2009, 02:03:32 PM
Ah. I see the 'size of the Enterprise' question has already been posted. :)

I'll need to come back to that thread to read more.

I'm sorry, seems he doesn't know but they'll discuss it.

360. boborci - May 18, 2009

22. Robert Saint John - May 18, 2009
    QUESTION:

(just in case, with Q added this time)

Can you provide us one definitive answer on the size specifications of the Enterprise and the Kelvin? Length, width, height, tonnage, crew members, ship class, etc.

There have already been 5 conflicting answers. One from Bad Robot, three from ILM and one from the Enteprise Experience site. It would be great to be able to put these questions to rest with a ruling from the Supreme Court. Thanks!

————————

I have no idea.

361. boborci - May 18, 2009

22. Robert Saint John - May 18, 2009

We'll hear the case very soon!

Rico

So the ship size is not discussed at all in the novel?  Frankly, it kind of has to be bigger in my view than the original.  More crew and based on some of the interior areas we are shown.  But I don't think it's quite as big as that diagram floating around.

Bryancd

The issue people are having, myself included, is that visually the primary hull is nearly identical to that of the refit. From the side, based on the horizontal position of the window, it "appear" that the hull is 2 decks high at the edge of the saucer on both ships. So unless the decks are twice as high, it would be reasonable to extrapolate that the height of the edge of the saucer section is very similar. Also, the shot where we move from Spock standing on the bridge from the outside of the view screen show us the larger new bridge is one deck lower than the refit. This shot also provides some sense of scale of a human vs. the hull and the lettering on the hull. A similar scene is when the crew member is sucked out of the Kelvin, you can see her against the Kelvins saucer section giving an idea of scale.  Again, this is a larger space on both ships and would allow for a larger bridge without changing the overall dimensions of the ship.
Clearly there is a great deal of confusion between the production staff, JJ, and ILM. Dollars to donuts says JJ really didn't know, or really care, about the exact dimensions of the ship, he just wanted it to be big and probably threw out a number like 2500 feet. I'm OK with that, it's his prerogative and a new series. The problem is ILM, it appears, created their modeling skeletons based on their knowledge of the refit and jazzed it up from there. It's all rather amusing. :)

Actually, if someone could post the high res "beauty shot" of the new E we have seen as the shuttles approach vs. any good shot of the refit primary hull, you can see what I am saying.

cosmonaut

One of the things that bothered me was the fate/destiny idea, but it seems it's more about mathematical probabilities:
489. Boborci - May 18, 2009

93. Kirk1701 - May 18, 2009
    QUESTION:

Is Kirk's origin completely governed by FATE? Doesn't that dehumanize him — make him more of a 'tool of the gods', rather than the blue-eyed humanist hero?

—————-

Question of fate has been touched on in article. In my mind, no, we are not relying on fate. Spock Prime pushing to place Kirk in the Captain's chair is not based on the notion of fate, but on the proven empirical evidence ( from Nimoy's past) that Kirk has an ability that others don't.

Bryancd

I think it's awesome that they are doing this for the fans, by the way. It's funny how tough Star Trek fans can be! Maybe we have higher expectations for Trek becuase it's "us" sci-fi vs. the fantasy sci-fi of Star Wars.

cosmonaut

Quote from: Bryancd on May 19, 2009, 05:50:38 AM
I think it's awesome that they are doing this for the fans, by the way. It's funny how tough Star Trek fans can be! Maybe we have higher expectations for Trek becuase it's "us" sci-fi vs. the fantasy sci-fi of Star Wars.
Yes, I agree. Totally blew my mind to find a script writer beneath us mortals. I don't think I would be able (and interested) to do something like this if I was a writer. Kudos to Orci.
I think Anthony Pascale was a catalyst for this by keeping the comments on the site civil.

Rico

Most sources still say the new Enterprise is bigger.  But there is a bit of a range in figures:

Size

Despite various structural similarities to the original movie Enterprise, multiple sources close to production provide much greater figures:

* A very precise length of 2379.75 feet (725.35 meters) is stated in a Gizmodo blog entry. A note of thanks is given to "David B. from Bad Robot Productions".

* ILM model supervisor Bruce Holcomb states that the Enterprise is "2000 feet [600 meters]" long in an interview for Studio Daily.

* The Post Magazine article 'Star Trek' Returns gives an overall length of "3,000 feet [900 meters]".

* The following specifications can be found during the Enterprise Tour:
          o Length: 2500 feet [760 meters].
          o Saucer Diameter: 1100 feet [340 meters].
          o Ship Height: 625 feet [190 meters].

Learn more here:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(alternate_reality)

X

Quote from: wraith1701 on May 18, 2009, 07:02:35 PM
Quote from: cosmonaut on May 18, 2009, 01:51:05 PM
Thanks for the link! :)

I'm hoping they answer the size question soon... the lack of a definitive answer is giving me a headache.
I'm going with larger. It's not something we haven't seen the federation build before and I like the idea that it was once big and clunky then they suddenly got better tech and better designs and learned to fit more people in near the same size with later flagships