Veritas - the Quest

Started by Rico, April 07, 2009, 04:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

This was a really cool show from back in early 2003.  Had a neat modern Indian Jones vibe to it.  Only lasted for 13 episodes.  I managed to track them down and have put the first six up over at http://www.geekplay.tv under the Modern TV section in the Video Jukebox.  There's even an episode about crystal skulls long before Indy found one.  More to up soon.

Learn more about the series here:
http://www.tv.com/veritas-the-quest/show/10099/episode.html

Geekyfanboy

I LOVED THAT SERIES... I always wish they would release this on DVD. Thanks for posting this Rico.

Ktrek

Veritas was one of those shows that was never given a chance to develop a following. I'll never understand how a network can make a decision in 13 episodes to cancel a show. They should allow at least two seasons to see if a show can gather enough fans.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

I agree Kevin.  It's a shame they start all these shows year after year and then just drop them so quickly.

Geekyfanboy

It's the sad state of TV.. it's a business like any other.. it needs to make money. If a series don't see an audience instantly then they drop it for something else that might. I'm sure Veritas cost alot to make as it was a cool action adventure.  I'm not saying it's right.. it's just they way it is.

Rico

I still say they loose more money by bailing out early and then spending a lot MORE money building a whole new show that generally isn't that much better.  It's a never ending cycle.  There are also other things involved in the decision.  I have seen shows picked up that were low in the ratings and vice-versa.

Ktrek

I agree with Rico. I think they probably do lose a whole lot more money by taking such a gamble "hoping" that the replacement show will be successful. They not only have to build and budget another show but also recruit a whole other audience for the new show. It's not likely that the previous shows fans will just accept whatever new show they plug. Off the top of my head I can't recall any replacement shows that have been successes. Can anyone else?

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Geekyfanboy

All TV shows lose money during there first run.. until they either get sold into syndication or now a days get released onto DVD.

X

Quote from: Ktrek on April 07, 2009, 08:20:33 PM
I agree with Rico. I think they probably do lose a whole lot more money by taking such a gamble "hoping" that the replacement show will be successful. They not only have to build and budget another show but also recruit a whole other audience for the new show. It's not likely that the previous shows fans will just accept whatever new show they plug. Off the top of my head I can't recall any replacement shows that have been successes. Can anyone else?

Kevin
If I'm not mistaken, Desperate House wives was a replacement show. As were Friends and a few others. I think it also depends on how you define replacement. If it's a show that takes the place of another show, they are all replacements. If it's a show that takes the place of another show before the end of a season, we still have a lot of those as well.

Feathers

How many shows are actually comissioned as 'replacements' for something specific?

I'd be surprised if any were but I have no idea how the industry works so it might just be naivety on my part.

If they aren't specifically comissioned as such, then the concept of 'replacement' shows being different from any other 'new' show doesn't really gel with me.

From a UK perspective, of course, it's all different since the shows we see are probably only the successful ones. At the very least, if something is pulled in the US it's very unlikely that it will be replaced in the schedule by the same thing over here as over there.

Edit: Looks like we've completely derailed this thread! Does the schedule discussion need splitting out?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

It's ok to derail.  I think the point of all this really is we all wish some of this shows that are not big, smash hits at the start were given more of a chance.

Back on the Veritas topic, I'll try and get some more episodes put up today at www.geekplay.tv   I have six up now.

Rico