• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Top 3 BSG Episodes?

Started by wraith1701, March 09, 2009, 07:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraith1701

With so many fantastic episodes making up the new Battlestar Galactica series, it can be hard to pick out a favorite.  But I was wondering.. If you had to pick a top 3, which would they be?  And why?

I'll start off with my picks-

1-  "33".   The first episode from season one did a great job at letting the audience know what they were in for.  The anxiety and fear felt by the members of the Rag-Tag Fleet was flawlessly conveyed right at the start with Baltar's weary, teary-eyed scene on Colonial One.  And Apollo and Starbuck's mission to intercept the Olympic Carrier really drove home the tough choices the characters would be made to face just to stay alive another day.

2- "Exodus, Pt. II".  This is one of the few TV episodes of any genre that has actually made me stand up out of my seat, pump my fist in the air, and yell out loud with glee!  The battlestar's jump into the atmosphere of New Caprica, the fiery launch of the Vipers, and Galactica's last-minute jump to safety has to be one of the most incredible sci-fi action sequences I've ever seen on screen.  ;D

3- "The Hand Of God".  I won't deny it-- I'm simply a die-hard sci-fi dogfight fan at heart.  Half of the time, a well-executed combat sequence is almost as gratifying to me as a well developed story or intelligent character development.  Fortunately, this episode had both!  Apollo's fancy flying when he raided the Cylon bunker got my pulse pounding; seeing the Viper flip, hover and turn really drove home the fact that this wasn't an airplane he was flying... it was a high-powered, super- maneuverable fighter designed for close engagements in zero-G.  Very cool action sequence.  This episode also contained some great character development, accompanied by one of the best musical cues from Bear McCreary- A Good Lighter/Wander My Friends.  The tune fit in perfectly when Adama gives Lee his father's lighter before the mission, and the vocal version of the song during Lee's triumphant return really kicked butt.  In just one episode, the producers & writers managed to repair the rift between Bill and Lee, and did it in a touching, believable manner.

So; anyone else out there enough of a BSG Geek to share their favorite episodes?  :laugh:

Bryancd

I love your list! Especially agree about "33", that was an awesome episode, simple yet so stressful.

billybob476

I agree with the first 2 and #3 is definitely a good one. But if it's my 3rd favourite I'm not sure. I'll have to think about it.

wraith1701

Quote from: billybob476 on March 10, 2009, 05:07:28 AM
I agree with the first 2 and #3 is definitely a good one. But if it's my 3rd favourite I'm not sure. I'll have to think about it.

I forgot to mention that the episodes I listed weren't in any particular order.  I just listed them as they came to mind.  If I had to rank them, I'd probably put 'Exodus, pt. II' in first place, 'Hand Of God' in second, and '33' in third. 

billybob476

I was talking about this with my wife. With "33" Galactica really set a high bar for new shows. After 4 seasons, the FIRST episode of the series is still in most people's top episodes.

Honestly I really think the mini-series idea is great. We got all the exposition, introductions and backstory in the mini-series. So the moment we get into the actual show, you could get straight into the action.

It also says so much about the cast that they could pull off such a tense and emotional episode right off the bat.

X

Good choices. I haven't really considered a favorite. I like to take it in as a whole, really long single story, but the trial of Baltar and all scenes with the lawyer does stand out.

dinghead

I agree totally with your list.

Episodes where they remember that Galactica is supposed to be about fighter pilots defending a fleet of refugees always out rock the others... Unfortunately, I think you named all of them. ^^;; :cylon