Star Trek vs. Star Wars?

Started by wraith1701, January 03, 2009, 06:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In a knock-down, drag-out fight, which side would win?

Star Wars
1 (11.1%)
Star Trek
8 (88.9%)

Total Members Voted: 9

wraith1701

I feel like this topic has to have been posted before, but after running several forum searches, I couldn't find it.  Just wondering-

Which property do you think has the upper hand?  For example, If a fleet of Star Destroyers squared off against a fleet of Federation Starships, which side would come out on top?  Why?

Meds

I think i would have to say Star Trek as they are a more organised fraction. Though i'm aiming for the tima of a new hope. If you was to say the empire and the alliance together that would take more thinking.

wraith1701

Yeah, the Federation is pretty organized, but I think the Empire is as well.  What about technology?  If the Enterprise E faced off against a Star Destroyer, do you think it would win?  My first instinct is to say "yes", but then I think of the size difference.  A SuperStarDestroyer (19 km long) vs a Sovereign-class starship (685 meters long)-- It's a pretty huge gap in size.  And think of the weapons load of the Super, and all of the support craft and fighters it carries. 

Meds

Hmmm, then you have the Death Star. But if you are saying the genre in whole then you would have to add the borg to the Trek side.

wraith1701

The Borg would easily take out small fighters and support craft, but I'm not so sure about a cube weathering a shot from the Death Star. 

Geekyfanboy

Hmmm that's a tough question.. E could fly circles around the Star Destroyer, it's faster and more maneuverable. Star Destroyers has lasers and cannons while E has phasers and torpedoes. E has strong multi frequency shield, Star Destroyer as far as I know have no Shields. The one huge plus that Star Destroyer have going for it are the tie fighters.

This is one of the argument that their isn't a real answer since the technologies are very different.. we don't know of a laser is more powerful then a phaser.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on January 03, 2009, 08:39:26 AM
Hmmm that's a tough question.. E could fly circles around the Star Destroyer, it's faster and more maneuverable. Star Destroyers has lasers and cannons while E has phasers and torpedoes. E has strong multi frequency shield, Star Destroyer as far as I know have no Shields. The one huge plus that Star Destroyer have going for it are the tie fighters.

This is one of the argument that their isn't a real answer since the technologies are very different.. we don't know of a laser is more powerful then a phaser.

No, Star Destroyers have shields.  Just wasn't emphasized in the movies that much.  In the EU it is emphasized more.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

wraith1701

Yep. Shields, multiple turbo-lasers batteries, ion cannons, plus a compliment of fighter craft.  Granted, the fighters would probably be picked off like flies by a Starship; especially considering that TIEs have no shields  (or even life-support systems).  But they could be used as fodder to distract or occupy a Starship while it is being simultaneously engaged by the Stardestroyer's main weapons.

Rico

We've had this discussion before.  Not sure where it all went to.  Of course, to me the Federation has both better technology and better officers.  Their ships are much more fast than anything ever shown in "Star Wars."  I frankly think the Empire would get their clocks cleaned.

X

I think that the laser tech wouldn't hold up.  There was one episode of TNG where the crew lost their memories and had a fake first officer. The enemy they were fighting had lasers and I believe Riker almost laughed when he said that the lasers couldn't get past the navigational shields.

wraith1701

The federation tech is pretty top-notch, but I'm not sure if the D's navigational deflector is rated for blocking something like the beam from the Death Star. 

Man; I wish someone would put out a Star Wars Technical manual, like the ones made for TNG and DS9.  So much of the tech is so sketchy, it's hard to quantify and compare.   :-\

I still find it interesting to speculate, though. 

PepperDude

I think the Death Star would be a sitting duck against Starfleet. The Empire's weapon is huge, slow and an easy target, especially for transporter technology. All a Starfleet captain has to do is transport an explosive device to the right spot and the Death Star will go BOOM!

The Federation also has small fighters. Remember that they played a significant role in the final battle against the Dominion. I can't remember if those have shields though.

So yeah, I think the Empire would get its butt kicked handily.

alanp

I guess the only way to answer this question is which do you like more.   Which with me can be what kind of stuff I'm in the mood for.

Dan M

I don't know about that.  I like both equally, but I don't think the technology is comparable between the two.

You have to take The Force out of the conversation, but...

The entire Imperial armada wouldn't pose much threat to a top-of-the-line Starfleet vessel, such as the Enterprise-E.

Compared to Imperial star destroyers, Federation starships appear superior in maneuverability, shielding, firepower, scanning and computer technology

Upon encountering a Death Star, Data would scan the station and determine the nature of its offensive capabilities.  Once alerted to the potential lethality of the main weapon, all that would be required would be an immediate warp-speed withdrawal if a buildup of that weapon was detected.

No other Imperial weapon would appear to pose any threat to a Starfleet vessel.

Even if Imperial lasers were a threat to the Enterprise's shields, a simple hit-and-run strategy could be used to wipe out any Imperial fleet.

As for destroying the Death Star, I'm sure Data's scans would easily reveal the weakness in either model of that station and a simple photon torpedo could be used to exploit either design flaw.

M-5

I don't think that The Empire could defeat The Federation in all out war.  I believe The Federation has better technology and ships than The EmpireThe Empire wouldn't have a chance.