• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Weird dreams - too much Sci-Fi??

Started by Rico, October 09, 2008, 06:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

So lately maybe about once a week I have some very vivid dreams that seem very real when I am having them.  Last night was a doozy!  I had this dream where Lynn and I were in some kind of very tall building, maybe a hotel.  And we seemed to know that war was coming - the Earth was in trouble.  So, as we looked out the large window in the distance we saw a nuclear bomb go off and the explosion fanned out from it and moved toward us.  In the dream I think we fully expected to die, but we didn't.  The blast seemed to stop short of where we were at.  So we went down some stairs to the ground level and saw everyone running in panic away from the blast.  So of course we did that too.  That's pretty much where it ended and I woke up.

Now it's easy for me to understand where all this came from.  On "Heroes" this past week there was a blast like this and I also watched the most recent Terminator episode last night.  Add all that to the crazy things going on in the "real" world these days and it all makes sense.  The funny thing was, I really wasn't scared at all in the dream and seemed to kind of know what to do.

Anyway, just thought I'd share all that.  I know we have talked about dreams before but has anyone else been having vivid dreams like this lately?

P.S.  Maybe I need to cut back on the SF for a bit?  .......nahhh!

billybob476

Well I can say for sure I only have vivid dreams when something is weighing on my mind. Same as you they are not always scary but they do tend to be somehow related to what I'm thinking about.

Dreams are crazy things.

Ktrek

I had a dream this morning that the U.S. was invaded by the Chinese and I was part of an underground resistance movement. It was very bizarre!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Kevin - did you watch "South Park" last night?  It was about that very thing!

celestialteapot

This question has baffled mankind for all eternity... why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

sheldor

Quote from: Rico on October 09, 2008, 06:31:31 AM
So lately maybe about once a week I have some very vivid dreams that seem very real when I am having them.  Last night was a doozy!  I had this dream where Lynn and I were in some kind of very tall building, maybe a hotel.  And we seemed to know that war was coming - the Earth was in trouble.  So, as we looked out the large window in the distance we saw a nuclear bomb go off and the explosion fanned out from it and moved toward us.  In the dream I think we fully expected to die, but we didn't.  The blast seemed to stop short of where we were at.  So we went down some stairs to the ground level and saw everyone running in panic away from the blast.  So of course we did that too.  That's pretty much where it ended and I woke up.

Now it's easy for me to understand where all this came from.  On "Heroes" this past week there was a blast like this and I also watched the most recent Terminator episode last night.  Add all that to the crazy things going on in the "real" world these days and it all makes sense.  The funny thing was, I really wasn't scared at all in the dream and seemed to kind of know what to do.

Anyway, just thought I'd share all that.  I know we have talked about dreams before but has anyone else been having vivid dreams like this lately?

Was Lynn dressed up as a cheerleader ?? :D  Yeah, too much heroes sounds like.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on October 09, 2008, 06:31:31 AM

Nahhhhh!  Although tbh, I went through a Captain Picard era where he kept charging at me for no reason.......it was mildly freaky.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Darkmolerman

A wraith took over and told me to lead him to some secret Atlantis base, I had ronon's gun but due to the fact that Wraith = more creepy vs. Power of ronon's gun It just shot light out of it
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

ElfManDan

I mentioned it in the Sarah Connor Chronicles topic, but here seems to fit better this topic being about about dreams. A few days ago I had a dream I was John Connor in the future (after the machines take over). That was fun, leader of the future survivors of Earth till I woke up.

Also two nights before that I had a dream that the world ended right in front of me. I was riding in my uncles van with him, he was driving (I'm living with my uncle now) and everything just started to rip out of existence, very strange, the sky turned purple then shredded to nothingness and the buildings and houses around us disappeared. They cracking and broke apart and slipped into a void that wasn't any color, not even black, it was just nothing. Strangest thing about the dream was I wasn't scared, worried, anxious, I just was. It didn't seem like a big deal the world ending and all, I wasn't afraid. After waking up  I later found myself in the exact same position as I had experience in my dream, all the same events and elements. Obviously nothing happened the world didn't end we're all still here. But I've been a tad uneasy every time we go somewhere in my uncle's van. If I'm honest it's a bit surreal.

Rico

Cool stuff guys.  Glad to know I'm not the only one with an active dream state!

Jen

Wow guys (Ktrek and Rico)... the weird thing is I had a apocalyptic/Mad Max  dream recently too! I chalked it up to all the devastation I've seen down here in Galveston, but there was a war element to my dream. David and I were walking on a street downtown (I'm not sure which city) and there was rubble everywhere, dust floating in the air, papers blowing about. We were in shock. He was holding my hand and we were looking for food and some place to sleep. We found a beat up couch in the middle of the street...it looked like it fell out of a building that crumbled or something. It was getting dark, we laid down to rest for a while...but we were disturbed by the sound of a helicopter. People started scrambling out of the buildings and running to it, like they expected food to be tossed from it, but a machine gun opened up and started killing them. Dave and I started running, I fell and he turned back to help me up...I don't know what happened after that because I woke up crying.

It was quite frankly the most vivid, frightening dream I've had in a very long time. Do you think the current world situation has us dreaming stuff like this? Hopefully it's not prophetic.   :o

I know you said you saw something on Heroes, Rico... but obviously that image was heavy enough to stick in your mind and arise in your dreams.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

ElfManDan

I had watched Dr. Strangelove just before I went to bed the night I had the end of the world dream, so that might be the cause of that.

But I just mentioned the apocalypse dreams, two nights ago I had one even worse, I had a dream that I had to do the graduate ceremony from High School again, the horror, and I screwed it up and looked like an idiot in front of everyone (What a nightmare).

alanp

I had a dream I was driving to Tulsa in my car and listening to Treks in Scifi Halloween Special 2008 and Rico was discussing the Mist.

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on October 09, 2008, 07:00:03 AM
Kevin - did you watch "South Park" last night?  It was about that very thing!

No Rico I didn't! First of all because I don't watch Southpark and secondly I no longer have cable or TV access. If I want to see anything now it has to be downloadable or streaming. Otherwise I just buy DVDs.

And Jen...yea..I hope these dreams are not prophetic! I have had dreams come to pass before and this particular dream was very vivid. I have nothing against China but if they invade the U.S. I will do what I can to make it hard for them.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

sheldor

Anyone experience lucid or nested dreams ?   Its happened to me on a few occasions - all of them heart-pounding, cold-sweat scarey !!