• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Worst Day Ever!!!

Started by ElfManDan, September 22, 2008, 10:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElfManDan

First day of college, big woop, course that's always a recipe for a terrible day, but things only went from bad to worse on this what should have been a strait forward day. I got up early, early for me anyway. It was over two hours before I had to leave for my first class. Plenty of time so there was no possible way I could be late, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP wrong answer Danny-Boy. I did manage to get myself out the door over a half an hour before I had to be at the school, even though it's only a ten minute drive had to make sure I wouldn't get lost,...again. But nothing was going to stop me today, I was going to make it, really nothing except one frellin' flat tire and a broken cigarette lighter. Yes, I had a flat tire, yes I had plenty of time to fix it, or so it seemed. I grabbed my handy little air compress that uses the power of the cigarette lighter to pump air into a tire. Like I said the cigarette lighter was broken, wires probably wrong or something. No problem just pull out the panel in front of the lighter and reattach them. Problem: didn't have the right kind of screw driver, why are there so many kinds of screws, it had to be the funny six stared socked on the panel didn't it, just my luck. Can't do that then. So after much time fooling with the broken lighter I gave up, there was no point. I needed to refill the tire and I needed power to do so. Enter the only power source available, the car battery. I grabbed the jumper cables and attached them to the battery and then directly on to the lighter plug of the air compressor. I know very MacGyver like, but I had to make it to college, I was determined in a strange I don't like school, but I can't fail kinda way. Fortunately it worked, unfortunately I missed my first class. The whole first class, I work hard to be where I need to be on time. I have prided myself on being punctual, but on my first day of college I had to have a flat. I've never had a flat before, never in my three years of driving my car have I ever had a flat. I thought just a week ago when I left home, how likely is that to happen, the chance of getting a flat, I probably don't have to worry about it at all, no point. Stupid me, I should have considered the possibility, the possibility that my luck would be so bad as to have a flat. I don't get it though, why did this happen to me on my first day of college, why not at least the second day or NEVER. I was stressed beyond all reason when I got up, I was stressed to the point of a crazed rampage when I finally left.
Anyway that's not the end of the story, it get worse. I made my other two classes just fine, I hope my third teacher is forgiving or at least understanding. I finished up the day and refilled the tire (with the jumper cables and battery), took it to Les Schwab, see what they could do about it. Now important piece of information in this story is I called my dad and he said "Yeah take it to Les Schwab," he's a mechanic, he'd know best, "it'll probably cost you about ten, twenty dollars," he said, "no biggy." It was 'biggy' to borrow his expression. It took them an hour to tell me that it was unrepairable and it would have to be replaced. So it took another three hours for them to wrangle up a new tire and strap it on good and tight. This is where the possible twenty dollar fee was multiplied...BY FOUR. I had to pay $80 for the new wheel. So my car works again, for now anyway, except for the fact that I don't have enough money to fuel it.
Money, that has now become the biggest issue in this happenstance. That happened to be the money I needed for my college text books. Those books are way too expensive if you ask me, but now I can't afford all my text books anyway, or the other issue, I can't afford food. I'm going to fail college and/or starve to death. I'm a dead man and I know it. It not just today that is bad it's the chance of my future now as a college failure. Difficulties and challenges the plague that burdens me. I really feel very unlucky right now. I'm going to fail in college and die of starvation.
So in truth it really ain't that bad, I'll pull through, but it's not going to be easy to make it out of this pit. It's a very deep pit, dug by the shovel of my now ranking #1 Worst Day Ever.

wraith1701

Sorry about the rough day, man; but believe me-- things could be A LOT worse. 

Hang in there.

Meds

Mate you are a film maker, you have just written a brilliant short film. Call it 'Stressfull Day' and make it into a film, you already have the script, you already know how to direct it because it has happened, bish bosh another film for your portfollio. Every cloud my friend.

Darkmolerman

wow you made my day feel like a walk in the park, thnak you and sorry for your bad day...
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

KingIsaacLinksr

Ugh...I had a couple of those last year.  Hang in there.  I know what your going through it sucks and I know it.  TIP:  Never ever ever go to Les Scwab.  I HATE them.  They are NOT customer service friendly.  They are SIT-ON-MY-A**-ALL-DAY-AND-NOT-CARE people.  More problems with them and I don't own a freaking car yet.  How sad is that.  

Keep trying man and steal $$ from your parents...worked for me anyway.  ;) jk

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jen

Hey Shep, Sorry to hear you had such a bad day... punctuality is important, but don't beat yourself up when things that you have no control over sneak into destroy your good intentions. Stuff happens... especially on the first day of classes. ;)

Let me direct you to the list of "Murphy's Laws" they'll make you laugh....

MURPHY'S LAWS

Nothing is as easy as it looks.
Everything takes longer than you think.
Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong. Corollary: If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then.
If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.
If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.
Mother nature is a you know what.
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.
Every solution breeds new problems.

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Shep - sounds like a rough day and sorry to hear that.  Things seems to go that way sometimes.  "When it rains it pours" is an expression I use sometimes.  Anyway, one way to look at it now is things can only get better!

Having one son in college and another one headed there next year I know very well how much stuff costs like textbooks.  One bit of advice on that if you haven't tried it yet - eBay.  We have saved some money finding books there for my son.  Good luck and hang in there.  It will get better.

metron07

Shep,

Woke up last week, took the minivan my wife drives to get oil change, need syntheic motor oil, trani service, new wipers $180. Ask the guys to look at the tire pressure one tire is 20lbs down, could be a leek. Take car to Tire place to get fixed, find my wife drove tires down to steel belts, 4 new tires, $700. Bring car home, two days later my wife can't get it started, dead battery, new Sears Die hard $103 plus installion. Money, ah yes, I remember when I used to have that!  :wallbash:

Every breakdown is a possibility for a learning experience. I know it is easier to be upset, but it does not help you to be that way for too long. Meds had a great idea, turn it into creativity. Every breakdown is a possibility to turn it into knowledge. Try not to see it as what happened to you, as what you learned. You did go to "school" that day.

What did I learn, to be a better husband and keep a closer eye on how my wife maintains our minivan. After I took care of all of the above for her,  :ohbaby

ElfManDan

Well, it's now day two of college and everything seems to be going fine. Missing my class yesterday wasn't that big of a deal, it was just an introduction yesterday. Everything looks likes it going to be ok, my parents sent me some money to help me along, till I can get myself a job here. So now I do have money for my text books and food. It was one crazy day yesterday and now it doesn't seem as bad as it seemed them.

I know the saying "What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger." seems to fit this circumstance. A silver lining that I can pull out of this is the understanding of the situation, makes me a better writer when I've experienced it first hand.

Anyway thanks for all the support, it's nice to know I got you people out there to talk to when I'm feeling down.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Sheppard on September 23, 2008, 10:25:53 AM
Well, it's now day two of college and everything seems to be going fine. Missing my class yesterday wasn't that big of a deal, it was just an introduction yesterday. Everything looks likes it going to be ok, my parents sent me some money to help me along, till I can get myself a job here. So now I do have money for my text books and food. It was one crazy day yesterday and now it doesn't seem as bad as it seemed them.

I know the saying "What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger." seems to fit this circumstance. A silver lining that I can pull out of this is the understanding of the situation, makes me a better writer when I've experienced it first hand.

Anyway thanks for all the support, it's nice to know I got you people out there to talk to when I'm feeling down.

Remember this at least, you'll never have nearly as bad a day as you did on your first day of college.  Now, you can't say your having a terrible day.  ;)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

ElfManDan

Today's definitely going well, I got my English homework done in no time. Now I've been getting to sit in the garden green house building, where there are fountains and streams and the air is fresh and peaceful, and I can use the wifi network to talk on Treksf till my next class.

Chief

Oh man. Sorry to hear about your day.

Remember bad times have always  a couple positive things: they are over before you know it, and they make you learn.

Like they said up there. If you twist a  little all the factors, you have a great short film right there.

Hang in there buddy. Bad days always finish.

"The Needs Of The Many, Out Weigh The Needs Of The Few, Or The One..."
Mr. Spock