• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

U.S. Politics

Started by Geekyfanboy, August 29, 2008, 10:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldor

Quote from: davekill on August 29, 2008, 09:23:55 PM
Along with the current global concerns, it appears the old Soviet Bear is stirring from hibernation.

And McCain does have the best foreign policy experience of the lot.
I doubt that the former head of the KGB is going to negotiate because of world opinion.

Even President Kennedy had to take drastic actions to get tough with Khrushchev before he blinked first and removed his military from Cuba.

Putin to re-station Russian nukes/military in Cuba?
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/index.php?topic=78668.0

"Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is calling for Russia to regain its influential position in former Cold War ally Cuba, Russian news reports said Monday.

The statement comes amid persistent speculation about whether Russia is seeking a military presence in a country just 90 miles (150 kilometers) from the United States in response to U.S. plans to place missile-defense elements in Poland and the Czech Republic.

'We should restore our position in Cuba and other countries,' Putin was quoted as saying by the Interfax news agency."

---------------------------------------------------

But if we're going to nominate the best Trek character - I don't see how we could do better than the future President "Captian Trips"! Best qualified because he has already "Done that and been there" with the Klingons.

This cats got a great laid back look. When ever I see him in The Undiscovered Country - I can almost smell incense and hear sitar music :)

That will be interesting development but I think Putin will back off until after the elections.  Guess, we'll have to wait and see.  I also expect the RNC to be delayed by a week because of Gutav.   Again, wait and see.

X

I think that both candidates used politics to decide their Veeps on some level.

You have your choice between the eldest president and a younger woman VP. For some people this means they could vote for a woman without voting for a woman.

Then you have the minority and the experienced politico. Some people might see that combination as more palatable because there is a status quo backup waiting in the wings.

I personally don't think that even if the Dems managed to heal the rift between the Clinton and Obama supporters, the dream ticket would have been too progressive for a lot of people to be comfortable with.

While we are growing up, it's in steps and that ticket would have been a huge leap.

sheldor

Picking a VP is a personal, professional and political decision.  Each of the VP's make sense for both Obama and McCain and each balances their respective tickets.  The neat thing is that we are guaranteed of getting either a woman or african-american in the white house.

I also hope this will encourage people to assume their constitutional responsibility and vote - yes, even if its RAINING.  :'( 
I get weary of 50-60% voter turnout for national election.

I know this will not happen and I can't recall if I mentioned this in another post.  This is maybe more directed at voters on the west coast.  I don't think the media should be allowed to publish election results until ALL polls are closed including AK and HI (considering how prominent these states will be for 2008).  Personally, I can wait until the next morning to find out who won.

alanp

If there is anywhere online this can be civilly discussed, it is here.  I hate seeing the front page of digg anymore because people are two immature to enter this topic.  I think what we need to realize is that people are born to like different flavors of ice cream.  It doesn’t make someone a bad guy if they like he likes strawberry ice cream when I like vanilla.  I think to a degree it comes from birth or imprinted early on in life.  There are people in office who I really like but politically disagree with, and people who I agree with who I can’t stand!

All that being said, I registered republican so I could vote in my state’s republican primaries for governor and senate because the winners of those races tend to win the general election. But that means I get NO vote for sheriff, or any other city or county offices.  No republicans ever run for those offices so I have no vote, unless I give up voting in the big races to vote in the little ones.  Which I think is absolutely absurd.  I don’t care what party the county sheriff belongs to and I can’t see how that would matter.

I vote my personal convictions and would be willing to vote across party lines to do so.  I have voted for candidates who have no chance of winning because I thought they were best for the job.  I didn’t see anyone on either side who really made me look forward to this election.  Huckabee came closest so I did vote for him even though by that time he had very little chance of winning.

At this point of the race, I just try to hide from the news coverage.  I’m not at all looking forward to Election Day.  What I may do is write in “Rick A. Dostie” on the ballot because I really don’t want to vote for either Obama or McCain.

moyer777

What I may do is write in "Rick A. Dostie" on the ballot because I really don't want to vote for either Obama or McCain

That is a great idea!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

sheldor

Not a good idea.  Rico's like Nathan - no room is big enough for his ego ;D

moyer777

ouch.  Be nice Marky Mark.

:)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

sheldor

Quote from: moyer777 on August 30, 2008, 10:46:32 AM
ouch.  Be nice Marky Mark.

:)

:rofl He know's I kid around too much.  In case anyone wants to see the Dayton event again.  Can't recall when I was this excited about an election.

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/163813.html

Blackride

I just wanted to add a bit of history to people questioning McCain selecting Palin after meeting her only once. I just think this is interesting since I enjoy history so much.

Did you know that the democratic party selected Truman to run as FDR's VP? It was not even FDR's choice nor did they even talk much at all when both were in power.

With that being said I really like Palin. If anyone is closest to us (middle class) in this whole thing, it's her. Her story is awesome and a joy to hear. She still has to prove herself against Biden during the VP debate, but if she does the Democrats are going to have more problems than they originally thought. For right now she is like a Redbull standing on the podium but she still needs to carry that for a fe months.

Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

alanp

davekill

I love those guys - and they made a few good points to boot!

1. Sarah Palin is not a crooked politician who has worked in Washington for years.
She didn't use a tele-Prom Ter at her acceptance speech - her comments where more sincere.

2.No friend of President Bush. She was a whistle blower in her own party due to political corruption involving the oil industry and the Republican legislator. As a result she has received no support from our current Prez.

3. She administers over one of the largest energy reserves of any state in the union and works to eleminate her states gas tax for the consumer

4. It's possible that after a four year term as V.P., she could be running against Hillary Clinton in an all woman race for President.

sheldor

Quote from: davekill on August 30, 2008, 12:31:01 PM

1. Sarah Palin is not a crooked politician who has worked in Washington for years.
She didn't use a tele-Prom Ter at her acceptance speech - her comments where more sincere.

2.No friend of President Bush. She was a whistle blower in her own party due to political corruption involving the oil industry and the Republican legislator. As a result she has received no support from our current Prez.

3. She administers over one of the largest energy reserves of any state in the union and works to eleminate her states gas tax for the consumer

4. It's possible that after a four year term as V.P., she could be running against Hillary Clinton in an all woman race for President.

ALRIGHT !!  Female Mud Slinging is BACK !!! :D

Bryancd

I think she's a breath of fresh air. I think McCain is going to have a hard time stumping with her as they are so.....different. But it will very interesting to watch. Same with Obama. Biden was a reasonable choice but I think he's going to look VERY "Washington" next to her in the debates and it will be a crap shoot how the American voters respond. All in all, this will be a great election season and if any Presidential election should bring out the vote, it will be this one.

Blackride

Quote from: Metron07 on August 30, 2008, 04:01:18 PM
I will cast my vote here and now. I will quote the late Ronald Regan “Are you better off now than you where four years ago?

My postion on social issues does not change every 4 - 8 years. I am with a certain party based on my views on these social issues. If I switch parties when they are down I do so at the risk of my own values. Just my opinion.

Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Blackride

Quote from: davekill on August 30, 2008, 12:31:01 PM

and Obama's people even veted her....(*Note: Hillary was not considered)