• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

What Song Did You Listen To Today?

Started by wraith1701, August 15, 2008, 07:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraith1701

I'm a HUGE music fan, and I'm kind of curious about what music my fellow forum members listen to.  I therefore thought I'd borrow an idea I saw on another forum I used to visit.

Simply tell us about a song you listened to today (title and artist), and why you like the song.  I'll start the ball rolling:

Song- A Day In The Life

Artist- The Beatles

Why-  This is one of my favorite songs of all time; I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.  The song is a perfect example of Lennon and McCartney's genius- They manage to weave wildly varying singing styles and musical tempos into a musical masterpiece.  The way that Lennon and McCartney trade off on lead vocals paints a very vivid emotional picture:  I picture a guy contemplating the world and his place in it, with John Lennon's ethereal delivery representing what's going on in the guy's head as his mind wanders; his thoughts randomly going all over the place.  Then the alarm clock goes off, snapping the guy back to realitly- McCartney takes over and recounts the orderly progression of a normal day in his life.  The baton is then passed back to Lennon, who sings the guy's stream of consciousness thoughts, and then the cycle repeats...  It's AWESOME.  ;D

So what about you guys?

What song did you listen to today?

Jen

Great idea Eric. :) I love the Beatles too. My mom was a huge fan and I have many memories of her singing to their songs as they were played on the radio... and like mother like daughter,  I do the same today.

Song- The Luckiest
Artist- Ben Folds
Why- I love the clarity of his voice and this song fit the mood I was in today. It's a love song. Check it out on iTunes if you get a chance. :)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

moyer777

Well, let's see. 

I listened to a lot of music today.

An upcoming parody song for next week's Treks in Sci fi
Why? It was on my ipod when I went on a walk.

Darrell Mansfield- Born to be wild CD
the Song- Drift Away.
Why?  Cause he rocks, and I needed a cool jamming song to walk too.

Paul Baloche- A bunch of his tunes
Why?  Cause he is massively cool when it comes to praise and worship music, it's not dull or boring but is amazingly rich in production quality, catchy hooks and great guitar work.  Very nice stuff. I have like four of his CD's on my ipod.

So many more things I listened to today, including Jen's special Ready room podcast on writing.  Wow, that was excellent!  :)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

wraith1701

Song- "Three Days"

Artist- Jane's Addiction

Why- The construction of this song reminds me a lot of some of my favorite Beatles songs.. It is almost a mini-epic, with 3 vastly different sections.  It starts with an understated, melancholy intro that draws the listener in and makes them pay close attention.  The melancholy slowly gives way to a slightly faster-paced, bittersweet segment that starts to get the blood pumping, then smoothly transitions into a more upbeat, driving section that makes me want to get up and dance whenever I hear it.  This upbeat section continues to build and build into a supercharged crescendo of musical energy!

The song also manages to mix fantastic sounding music with lyrics that are socially relevant.  This combination of cool music and lyrical substance is what makes this band one of my all-time favorites.  :)

Rico

I listened to the most recent TWIT podcast.

And "Suddenly Last Summer" by The Motels.  Because it's a cool song and I like hearing it on nice summer days.

Meds

I listened to 'Hunger Strile'
By Temple of The Dog.

I'm having a bit of a blast from the past and as i love Pearl Jam and Soundgarden this tune is just brilliant. reminds me of the days of wearing lumberjack shirts, ripped jeans and converse back in 93, hold on i'm still wearing the exact same clothes. Doh!!!

Bryancd

The only singing I have heard today is Angela and Jen's rendition "Faith of the Heart" in Rico's last podcast! :)

Jen

Quote from: Bryancd on August 19, 2008, 10:55:58 AM
The only singing I have heard today is Angela and Jen's rendition "Faith of the Heart" in Rico's last podcast! :)

I'm sorry Bryan.  :D
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

wraith1701

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on August 19, 2008, 09:43:21 AM
I listened to 'Hunger Strile'
By Temple of The Dog.

I'm having a bit of a blast from the past and as i love Pearl Jam and Soundgarden this tune is just brilliant. reminds me of the days of wearing lumberjack shirts, ripped jeans and converse back in 93, hold on i'm still wearing the exact same clothes. Doh!!!

LOL!  I'm kind of stuck in the 90's myself; the Grunge movement had an impact on me as well.  Lots of cool music came out; I still enjoy listening to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Soundgarden.  Nevermind and Badmotorfinger are true Desert Island Discs in my opinion.

Ktrek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhaSBxrgBxo&feature=related

Song - Change Partners (From the film Carefree)

Artist - Fred Astaire

Why - First of all I love Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Secondly because I think it's one of the finest American songs ever composed by Irving Berlin. Third, it's romantic and the lyrics and melody are subtle and yet powerful. They just don't write songs on this level anymore imho.

You can view a clip of this song as performed in the movie. See above.

CHANGE PARTNERS

Must you dance every dance with the same fortunate man?
You have danced with him since the music began.
Won't you change partners and dance with me?
Must you dance quite so close with your lips touching his face?
Can't you see
I'm longing to be in his place?
Won't you change partners and dance with me?

Ask him to sit this one out.
While you're alone,
I'll tell the waiter to tell
him he's wanted on the telephone.

You've been locked in his arms ever since heaven-knows-when.
Won't you change partners and then,
you may never want to change partners again.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

metron07

I have pretty eclectic tastes. Lately I've been listening to a new CD from Amin Bhatia called Virtuality which goes back to my progressive rock roots.
Some clips are here http://www.aminbhatia.com/index.php/virtuality/virtuality.mp3s

Some mornings I listen to POP like Madonna's Hard Candy just because I like to hear what current producers are doing with sound design. Everything is so compressed to death these days.

But most of the time it's podcast time!

Trekkygeek

Today I listened to "Rhythm Is A Dancer" by Snap.
The 12" remix.
With its thumping bass line it takes me back to 1992 and us group of lads posing in an open top VW Variant which had been pimped, it was beautiful. We looked like a car full of dicks but you couldn't tell us that at the time.
Sorry guys, couldn't resist. I heard the tune in my head again and just had to share.

You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

wraith1701

Quote from: Metron07 on August 19, 2008, 12:33:31 PM
I have pretty eclectic tastes. Lately I've been listening to a new CD from Amin Bhatia called Virtuality which goes back to my progressive rock roots.
Some clips are here http://www.aminbhatia.com/index.php/virtuality/virtuality.mp3s

Thanks for the link; that's some pretty interesting stuff!  Kind of New Age-Techno-orchestral spiced with a little Jazz.  Very nice!!!  :thumbsup

Quote from: TrekkygeekToday I listened to "Rhythm Is A Dancer" by Snap.
The 12" remix.
LOL  "I'VE GOT THE POWER!"   
Snap! is one of my guilty pleasures as well; My friends and I used to listen to them as part of our "Pre-Party-Prep" routine  before hitting the clubs on Sixth Street back in my partying days.  Fun stuff!

Jen

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

wraith1701

Quote from: Jen on August 19, 2008, 07:36:03 PM
Sixth Street huh? :D

Yep. :cheers

Lots of fun memories.. 
Lots of fun, sometimes hazy, sometimes embarrassing, memories.   :ohwell ;)