DVD collects 40 years of Trek comics

Started by Geekyfanboy, August 09, 2008, 05:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

DVD collects 40 years of Trek comics

"Star Trek" fans may want to add this one to their holiday list. Graphic Imaging Technology Corporation (GITCorp) will offer the first of three DVD-Rom collections, compiling four decades of "Star Trek" comics in a neat, concise package according to Trek Movie.

The first collection, due to hit stores on September 1 and retailing for $49.99, will collect forty years of "Trek" comics from three "Trek" series and multiple publishers. The comics will be easily searchable, include original cover art and advertising from the original issues and will operate on both Macs and PCs with DVD-Rom drives.

Among the treasures on the collection are the earliest adventures of the starship Enterprise from Key Comics, the comic books that accompanied the popular Power Record series in the late 70's, the Marvel and DC runs of classic "Trek" and "Next Generation" and the popular Peter David "New Frontier" one-shot that is part of the on-going series (and has been a collector's item for several years now).

Compiling this one of a kind archive of "Trek" comics wasn't easy said GITCorp's Ray Pelosi, acknowledging the commitment of CBS to help work with the various publisher to get this into the hands of fans.

Once this first collection is released, two more are planned to tie in with the upcoming Star Trek movie release. The first of these is an Original Series set, that will contain all of the comic books based on the crew of Captain Kirk, including crossover issues, and will also contain the "Early Voyages" series featuring Captain Pike in the stories that take place not long after the events of the original pilot, "The Cage". This set is expected to be released around the time of the new movie, and has a suggested retail price of $29.99.

The third collection on the agenda is a movie related set, possibly including images, trailers, and so forth from the new movie. The suggested price would be $9.99, and the set would be available in movie theatres. The precise details have not yet been confirmed.

Below is a complete listing of the comics that will be included on the first release:

GOLD KEY
Monthly 1-61
Enterprise Logs collections 1-4
Dynabrite and Dan Curtis Giveaway reprints

PETER PAN/POWER RECORDS
Passage to Mouav
The Crier in Emptiness
Dinosaur Planet
The Robot Masters
A Mirror For Futility
The Time Stealer

DC TOS
1st series 1-56 (2 covers for #6), Annuals 1-3
Who's Who in ST 1-2
2nd series 1-80, Annuals 1-6
Specials 1-3
ST III, IV, V & VI adaptations
GNs: Ashes of Eden, Debt of Honor

TOS & TNG Modala Imperative miniseries

DC TNG
Miniseries 1-6
Series 1-80
Annuals 1-6
Specials 1-3
All Good Things & GEN adaptations
Ill Wind & Shadowheart minis

DC/MALIBU
TNG/DS9 crossover Ashcan & miniseries 1-4

MALIBU DS9
Ashcans 1A & 1B
Series 1-32 (4 covers for #1)
Minis: Hearts & Minds 1-4 (2 covers for #1), Maquis: Soldier of Peace 1-3
Specials: DS9 Special, Terok Nor, Worf Special, Lightstorm
Ultimate Annual & Looking Glass War Annual
Celebrity Series: Blood & Honor, Rules of Diplomacy

MARVEL
1980 series 1-18
TMP Super Special & book reprint (of #1-3)
Further Adventures of the Starship Enterprise book reprint (of #7, 11, 12)

Collector's Preview 1-2
Early Voyages 1-17
Unlimited 1-10
DS9 1-15
VGR 1-15, Splashdown mini 1-4
Starfleet Academy 1-19, plus Klingon-language edition of 18
Telepathy War 1-5 and Reality's End special (actually 1-5 are regular issues of Academy, DS9, and VGR — not sure why they're listed separately)
Untold Voyages mini 1-5
FC adaptation
One-shots: Mirror Mirror, Operation Assimilation
Riker Special

WILDSTORM
TOS GNs: All of Me, Enter the Wolves
TNG: Perchance to Dream 1-4, Killing Shadows 1-4
TNG GNs: Embrace the Wolf, Gorn Crisis, Forgiveness
TNG/DS9: Divided We Fall 1-4
DS9: N-Vector 1-4
VGR: Planet Killer 1-3
VGR GNs: False Colors (2 covers), Elite Force, Elite Force Special Collector's Edition, Avalon Rising
NF: Double Time GN
ST Special

Blackride

That's an interesting concept. It's not for me since I like to own the real thing but for others it's an interesting idea.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Ktrek

This is something I would be interested in. I own quite a few of the comics and complete sets in some cases, but I'd love to be able to read all those other hard-to-find series. I'm sure Amazon will probably sell this for around $35.00.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

M-5

Rico

Many of my old Gold Key Trek comics got destroyed long ago when my parents basement had some water get to them.  I'll probably be picking this up.

Jobydrone

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Daron

This collection looks sweeeet! Mine is on pre-order at Amazon. I got an e-mail recently saying it's been delayed a few weeks...can't remember exactly how many weeks.

I really enjoyed the DC runs, but never read anything past 1995 or so. Much of this will be new to me!

Now, if only DC would start doing this with it's superheroes! I'm a BIG DC fanboy.

Daron

Well, I received the set from Amazon a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to read many of the comics yet, but I think it's a good set, overall. That said, it has its problems: namely,the scan quality. It looks like someone just dug out their old comic books from their personal collection and literally scanned-in all the old issues...bends, spills, tears, and all. It's most apparent on the older issues.

Ktrek

This set is now at $29.99 and so I decided to buy a copy. I know that some of the scans may not be the best but this is a whole lot of comics for very little money. And since all I want to do is be able to read them it seems like a good investment to me.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine