• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

What would be a really handy way to make a database of my VHS/DVD collection?

Started by alanp, August 07, 2008, 03:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I have like 1000 VHS tapes I’ve been hanging on to for quite some time and the space in my apartment is shrinking!  I got a DVD recorder and connected to my VCR and this afternoon started the long hobby of transferring my videos.  I think I’ll keep the DVDs in paper sleeves in plastic storage drawers.  That will help me retake my space.  Each has six to eight hours of video a piece.  A lot of stuff I’ve taped off of TV and bought off ebay, etc.

What I was wondering, does anyone know of a computer database I could index my collection so I could easily locate a specific disk?  I use a mac but I would like a setup where I could use windows, mac or linux. I want to copy and paste from IMDB into a piece of information that I could search help locate each disk.

Jen

Welcome to the boards Alan P. You should introduce yourself in the Roll Call Section.  I'm a Mac user, but I have no idea what to suggest. Bryan CD is also a Mac user, he might be able to point you in the right direction.  That seems like an awful lot of work. Are these shows not available on DVD? Why would  you go through the trouble, unless of course you can't pick them up in DVD format. Just curious. Again, welcome to the boards. :)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Ktrek

Hello Alan and welcome to the board. May I suggest you look into a piece of software that I have used to manage my vast collection for several years now. It's called MOVIE COLLECTOR. It's very easy to use. To add a film you click "add new movie" and it searches several different database sites including IMDb and you can download their data direct into your info file. It allows east search by directors, actors, years etc etc. It also allows you to creat html files of your entire collection. I have found this feature handy because I do a lot of trading of films with other collectors. Here is the link:

http://www.collectorz.com/movie/

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions you can PM me and I will try and answer them or post in this thread.

One of the best $30.00 I have ever spent and they have lifetime upgrades with no charge.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

alanp

Thank you for the introduction Jen.

Some of the stuff is avalible but my VHS collection is HUGE so I'm sure I would spend a bundle.  Some I will pick up the DVD for on the really good videos where I want the special features.  But It's OK, I look forward to transfering.  Even though it might take me a year or so.  When I move next I just don't want to take it all with me.  And DVDs hold the video content and VHS tapes wear out.  Just updating the collection.

I've been googling but there isn't anything that other programs/platforms would read.  I was thinking of microsoft access because there should always be something that can read that format.  But darn, the mac version of office doesn't have access.

Ktrek

"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Jen

Quote from: Ktrek on August 07, 2008, 07:41:17 PM
I suppose you just skipped over my post?

Kevin

It's possible that you two posted close to the same time....and he missed it.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

alanp

sorry ktrek,  we were typing at the same time.  Thanx for the suggestion.

Meds

Hey KTrek, what an amazing site. I've got around 400+ DVD's and i started to make my own catalogue by spreadsheet, which was really getting to me. Plus i can never remember who has borrowed what so i like to keep tabs. This site is great. Will be signing up. Great tip.

Darkmolerman

Ok I did not read the other posts but I will give my 2 cents, ok well I am not sure how rich you are, if you can afford a external hard drive and a burner on your computer then just upload all your movies to the hard drive and then make a word document with the different file locations IE do apple F to find the movie and then it will highlight that movie and say "under comedy, mid evil" Or just make the word document put the DVDs in a huge binder and list the page.
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper