• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

What's everyone reading right now?

Started by Rico, May 30, 2008, 07:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Free Comic Book Day!

Jen

Just finished "Messenger" by Lois Lowry. It's the third in The Giver Quartet. It's a pretty quick read and enjoyable, though a bit depressing. ;)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

ChrisMC

I've been reading Saga of the Swamp Thing by Alan Moore...I'm on Vol. 5. A bygone era in comics...just pure awesome..
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

WillEagle

Quote from: ChrisMC on May 07, 2015, 04:44:20 PM
I've been reading Saga of the Swamp Thing by Alan Moore...I'm on Vol. 5. A bygone era in comics...just pure awesome..

I have seen those at the library. Wasn't sure if I wanted to get into them or not. With your stamp of approval maybe I should check them out.
Been reading some of the DC Convergence books and I just finished Vol. 1 of the Cyclops series. This is the Cyclops from the New X-Men and he is only 16. He is in space with his Dad. I really enjoyed it!
Also since I got to see Avengers: Age of Ultron on Sunday I started reading my magazines that I picked up with Avengers Stories in them.

Rendal

Just starting to read a new Doctor Who book myself, called 'Engines of War', by George Mann, featuring the "War Doctor".  I am so glad to have found this, and I hope they were able to capture in words what John Hurt brought to life on screen during the 50th special the other year.  It was only a glimpse of his character, but I found it very interesting.  I'll make sure to try and post a review when I'm done for anyone that might be interested.  Cheers!   

Rendal

Rico

Sounds cool!  And welcome to the forum too!

Ktrek

I joined a Star Trek book community on Facebook and they are working through the early TOS books published by Pocket and discussing them. This month Robert E. Vardeman's The Klingon Gambit is up. I'm finding kind of an OK story so far. The voicing and characterization seems off at times, which is hard for me to understand since by the time this was written TOS had been on TV for quite some time and even a couple of films. The plot also borrows heavily from TOS episodes and so not very original. I'll finish reading it because of the group but the quality of this book and what's coming out today is miles apart.

"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

The Spider-Man comic I've been waiting years for after all that "One More Day" nonsense. MJ and Peter back together again!   :spidey

WillEagle

Quote from: Rico on June 20, 2015, 11:50:02 AM
The Spider-Man comic I've been waiting years for after all that "One More Day" nonsense. MJ and Peter back together again!   :spidey

I picked that up too! I think its supposed to be a four part series.
Now if they would bring Superman and Lois back together also! They had a two part "Convergence" Superman book that was those two and it was very good!

owenbre

Quote from: Rico on March 07, 2015, 06:23:44 AM
Reading "Ready Player One" and so far it's great!  A ton of gaming, TV, and movie references and nostalgia in this book.  I think everyone here would get a kick out of this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One-Ernest-Cline/dp/0307887448/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425738079&sr=8-1&keywords=ready+player+one

Just finished "Ready Player One".It's a real fun book,particularly for anyone lucky enough to grow up in the 80's.

Steven Spielberg is doing the movie .... how is he going to handle the licensing for that one???  :o

ChrisMC

Reading Finders Keepers by Stephen King. Another winner!
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

WillEagle

Just finished the last two volumes of the World's Finest - Huntress/Power Girl and they were both good but they really ended the series in a huge cliff hanger that I believe is being continued with the recent new series called Earth 2. I also picked up this weeks Entertainment Weekly which features San Diego Comic Con. Cool cover too. Check it out.

WillEagle

Just finished the Forever Evil story line from DC. I bought the Forever Evil graphic novel and I get the Justice League comic every month so those I had at home to read but as these comic publishers do they branch off in many directions with a story line. So it took me a while to get the Justice League America GN from the library but finally did and I really enjoyed them all. I didn't have all the issues from all the series that were part of this but since I had the 3 main ones I read them in order based on a list I found on the internet. Very good storyline but I like it better when they just stick to one book to tell the story.

davekill

A friend gave me Emergence to read and I couldn't put it down.
Nice post- apocalypse story in the form of a first narrative.
Follows the journey of Candidia Maria Smith-Foster an eleven year old girl as she searches for survivors and discovers the emergence of a new world.
First published in 'Analog'

http://www.amazon.com/Emergence/dp/B002U4W1QA

WillEagle

I like picking up books from the library and today I went in to get my holds and I always check out the sell room and I am now the proud owner of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy!! This volume includes all 3 books and it is the movie version cover. And it only cost a QUARTER!!!!! Yes a twenty dollar book for only one QUARTER!! It's a little rough around the edges but it only cost a QUARTER!!! what a great deal!
Besides my holds I found a Avengers Ultimate Character Guide from DK Publishing and The Action Bible which is The Holy Bible in Graphic Novel form which I thought would be pretty cool. I am a Christian and do try and read my Bible so I thought this would be a neat way to read and SEE some of the stories.