• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

What's everyone reading right now?

Started by Rico, May 30, 2008, 07:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davekill

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.
If you like alternate history, this is a good read.

The story takes place after the Axis Powers won WWII and a divided United States is occupied by Japan and Nazi Germany.

A TV pilot debated in January and a 10 ep series is due to release November 2015

Bromptonboy

Quote from: WillEagle on September 08, 2015, 02:31:35 PM
I like picking up books from the library and today I went in to get my holds and I always check out the sell room and I am now the proud owner of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy!! This volume includes all 3 books and it is the movie version cover. And it only cost a QUARTER!!!!! Yes a twenty dollar book for only one QUARTER!! It's a little rough around the edges but it only cost a QUARTER!!! what a great deal!
Besides my holds I found a Avengers Ultimate Character Guide from DK Publishing and The Action Bible which is The Holy Bible in Graphic Novel form which I thought would be pretty cool. I am a Christian and do try and read my Bible so I thought this would be a neat way to read and SEE some of the stories.

Nice deal on that book!
Pete

Bromptonboy

Just started Jeff VanDerMeer's - Annihilation: A Novel (The Southern Reach Trilogy).  Not bad so far, quite strange...my kind of story!  :)
Pete

WillEagle

Just finished Green Lantern - New Guardians Vol. 6 - Storming the Gates. This is the end of the run for this series. When DC once again restarted, rebooted or whatever this series didn't get renewed. They did give the series a decent ending though so that was good.
I don't know about you but I'm getting a little tired of Marvel and DC rebooting every couple of years. I haven't checked but I heard the most recent reboot for DC is not doing so good. What do you guys/gals think of all the reboots?

WillEagle

Just finished the 4 part series of Star Wars: Shattered Empire comics. I really liked the series and I liked the 1st 2 issues the best. I really liked the story line of the married couple because when I think about it there are not too many mentioned even if you count all the books and comics. Expanded Universe or otherwise. I did luck out and I was able to get a variant cover of issue 2. It has a live shot of Leia with her Endor uniform on. Cool cover. A good quick read for any Star Wars fan.

Rico

Yeah, that was a good mini-series leading up to the movie.

WillEagle

Cool Star Trek daily pic for 1-13-16. I have the first 2 issues of the Starfleet Academy comic and will read it once I get all 5 parts. I was going to wait for the graphic novel to read it but I couldn't just pass it by on the new comics rack. I confess I am a comic impulse buyer!!! Especially if Star Trek or Star Wars is on the front!

Bromptonboy

Just picked up China Mieville's 'this census taker'.  Was highly recommended to me, but haven't started it yet.
Pete

WillEagle

I NEED TO BUY THIS BOOK. Shatner was on the Today show talking about it too.

Here is a link to a video.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/905647

And here is a pic of the book cover.

Rico

Ktrek

I bought it and it arrived via Amazon on Tuesday. All I can say about it is that so far it's not as good as some of Shatner's other books and is pretty fluffy. Don't expect anything really deep and revealing about Nimoy because it will take a better biographer to do that justice. Realize that this book is actually as much about Shatner (maybe even more) than it is about Nimoy. If you can accept those things then by all means buy it. If I didn't purchase most Trek books released I think I could have given this volume a pass.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

WillEagle

Started reading Convergence from DC Comics. I read some of the tie in issues but I never read the main part of the story. So thanks to the library I am now. Also I have seen where they are rebooting DC after issue 52 of the current series. I am getting a little sick of these reboots!!!!!

WillEagle

Convergence wasn't that good. I liked some of the tie in issues better than the main story. I just felt it was all over the place.
I also just found about a new book called "The Star Trek Book". It will cost $25 from DK publishing and be released on June 7.
Here is a link to it.

http://www.startrek.com/article/the-star-trek-book-celebrates-50-years-of-trek

jedijeff

That is not a bad price on that Star Trek book, I might keep an eye out for it when it gets released. From the description, it might not have a lot of information in it that we have not heard before, but would make a nice displayable reference guide.

Ktrek

That book is only around $17.00 on Amazon right now. :)
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine