• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

What's everyone reading right now?

Started by Rico, May 30, 2008, 07:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedijeff

I am reading Star Wars Scoundrels right now. So far I am enjoying it as it is in a time frame that is not covered all that much lately, and will just take it for what it is, as a Legend story that may or may not have happened. I finished Darth Plagueis , and there was a lot in there, but I found it a very slow read for me, as I found it got a bit tedious at times.

ChrisMC

I'm reading the new Stephen King book Mr. Mercedes. A great read as always, nobody does page turners better than King.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Ktrek

Amazing how many of those books I have read over the last 45 years! However, only about 50% would I consider to be true "classics". I think there are better lists out there to draw from. Like this one for instance:

http://classics.jameswallaceharris.com/ByRank.php

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Bromptonboy

That does look like a better list IMHO - concentrates on SciFi rather than mixing in Fantasy (although I am fan of both).
Pete

Rico

Hence my overall problem with "lists" in general.  But I think the first one was intended to include SF & Fantasy.  Basically I look at lists like this to just point out some good things we might have missed to read.  Not as an absolute measure or order of things.

Bromptonboy

The one you posted gave me some good ideas for the reading list.
Pete

Ktrek

Yea I know lists are quite subjective and I find them even annoying at times. I just offered up the list on Jim Harris' website as an alternative. Jim also has a lot of very good articles that are quite stimulating. To be fair I should have offered a fantasy list as well. I too enjoy both but my preference has been and always will be science fiction over fantasy. Here's a pretty good list for fantasy lovers to peruse:

http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/top-100-fantasy-books/

I've only read about 50% of this list but I trust the site that publishes it and so I use it as a guide when I'm looking for a good fantasy read.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Bromptonboy

Wow, I have only read 17 of the works on that list.  Thought I had a better handle on fantasy.  :)
Pete

WillEagle

Recently finished the graphic novel 'The Adventures of Superman'. Here's a short review of what I think of it.
With the many Superman books in the New 52 for DC Comics this graphic novel takes a step back to the past. These stories collected in Vol. 1 show Superman as he used to be. He has on his red trunks and yellow belt that are missing in the other New 52 Superman titles. His costume also doesn't look like armor as it does in the other titles. He also seems like the 'big blue boy scout' of old. The stories in Vol. 1 vary from just helping the everyday people to saving the Earth from evil doers. If you miss some of the story elements from the past, as I do, you will enjoy 'The Adventures of Superman!'.

WillEagle

Just this morning I finished the graphic novel Batman and Robin Vol. 4 - Requiem for Damian which I would give it a rating of 10! This was very good and worth a read by any comic fan! This takes place SPOILER after the death of Damian in the Batman Incorporated title. The first issue of the six which is issue 18 was void of any 'spoken' words by the characters. Just the drawings and that's it, but wow very well done! Read Batman Incorporated Vol. 2 then read this one! You will be glad you did!

Bromptonboy

Starting Iain M. Banks 'Hydrogen Sonata'
Pete

Skuggi

I am about half way done with the second book in The Stormlight Archive (Words of Radiance). Brandon Sanderson is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors ;D
S.s.S

Bromptonboy

He is quite good.  I enjoyed how he finished off Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series.
Pete

Skuggi

Quote from: Bromptonboy on July 21, 2014, 03:22:48 PM
He is quite good.  I enjoyed how he finished off Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series.
I agree :) I love that series...the only thing that bothered me a bit was that Jordan's characters were a tad two dimensional, Brandon fixed that a bit though :)
S.s.S

Rico

Make sure to check out the comic book adaptation of Harlan Ellison's original story for this classic TOS episode.  Issue # 2 is out this week.

http://trekmovie.com/2014/07/22/trekink-review-of-star-trek-the-city-on-the-edge-of-forever-2-preview/