• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

TV shows on the bubble... will they be back??

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 17, 2008, 10:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Bubble Show Update: Will Your Faves Be Back?

It's pins-and-needles time in the TV biz. Over the next couple of weeks, the suits at the Big 5 will be deciding which bubble shows will be back next season and which ones will be fast-tracked to the MIA network. To help ease your anxiety — well, except in the cases where the bubble's about to burst — I've compiled a list of those shows currently hanging in the balance followed by my own assessment of their chances and, mixing buzz and intel, an Odds of Survival rating of 0-10 (0 being dead and 10 being a shoo-in for resurrection).

Aliens in America
The bad news: The ratings suck.
The good news: The show doesn't. It's really funny. And smart. And the CW knows it.
Odds of Survival: 3

Back to You
The bad news: It didn't experience enough of an American Idol bump back in February to make it a lock for next season.
The good news: Fox is as enamored of the show as Kelsey Grammer's character is enamored of himself.
Odds of Survival: 7

Big Shots
The bad news: Horrible show + even worse ratings = buh-bye.
The good news: Lots of really talented actors are free to appear in better TV shows!
Odds of Survival: 0

Boston Legal
The bad news: That cast doesn't come cheap. And they'll come even less cheap next year.
The good news: It continues to be a solid, if not spectacular, performer for ABC.
Odds of Survival: 6

Cane
The bad news: Nestor Carbonell is back on Lost!
The good news: Nestor Carbonell is back on Lost!
Odds of Survival: 2

Cashmere Mafia
The bad news: Viewers gave it a lukewarm reception and critics give it a downright chilly one, making Mafia a likely candidate for getting whacked.
The good news: One less Sex and the City clone to clog up the airwaves!

Cavemen
The bad news: Oh, where to begin....
The good news: I can stop feeling sorry for the inimitable Julie White. She deserves better, and maybe now she'll get it!

Eli Stone
The good news: Following Desperate Housewives, it scored its highest ratings since its premiere. Even more importantly, ABC loves it!
The bad news: Eli needs to hang onto the extra viewers it gleaned from Desperate when it returns to its regular Thursday time slot tonight.
Odds of Survival: 7

How I Met Your Mother
The bad news: Rumor has it not everyone at CBS loves this show.
The good news: Ted and the gang have been on a ratings roll since their Britney bump. The laffer is also the Eye's youngest-skewing show. Translation: Wait for it, wait for it... they'd be insane to cancel it!
Odds of Survival: 8

Las Vegas
The bad news: For starters, it's been canceled.
The good news: NBC has yet to release the actors from their contracts, raising hopes for a possible two-hour wrap-up.
Odds of Closure: 2

Law & Order: Criminal Intent
The bad news: There was no mention of the show at NBC's "infront" last month.
The good news: It's still a contender at USA.
Odds of Survival: 5

Life Is Wild
The bad news: The cast and crew are already out of Africa.
The good news: CW has yet to officially cancel it. But that may be because they forgot it exists.

Men in Trees
The bad news: The audience is small...
The good news: ... but passionate. And loyal. And resourceful. It also enjoys solid support at ABC, schizophrenic scheduling aside.

Moonlight
The bad news: Another backstage shake-up has left the series without a show-runner.
The good news: Fans are batty over this vampire drama and have even gone so far as to organize a blood drive with the Red Cross to draw attention to it.
Odds of Survival: 8

New Amsterdam
The bad news: The fact that Fox trimmed its initial order for the show doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
The good news: It's held up surprisingly well ratings-wise.
Odds of survival: 6 4

The New Adventures of Old Christine
The bad news: CBS doesn't own the show. It does, however, own Rules of Engagement, and the buzz is that the network only has room on its sked for one of them.
The good news: It's the funniest traditional sitcom out there. Plus, ABC is waiting in the wings to pick it up should the Eye cancel it.
Odds of Survival: 6
Odds of moving to ABC if CBS should cancel it: 10

Reaper
The bad news: Creatively, it failed to live up to the lofty expectations we had for it after that flawless pilot. And the ratings? Hellish.
The good news: Um, the pilot was really good! And there's no denying that there's a decent show in there. Somewhere.
Odds of Survival: 4

Shark
The bad news: James Woods is a, um, colorful personality. I'll just leave it at that.
The good news: Earned solid, if not spectacular, ratings on Sunday night.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
The bad news: For as much money as Fox poured into this show in terms of promotion and special effects, it should've done better.
The good news: The network seems to think it will do better next season — it's already staffing up.
Odds of Survival: 9

The Unit
The good news: Performed consistently for the Eye.
The bad news: As expensive as it is to produce, it needs to be doing consistently better.

Women's Murder Club
The bad news: I hear the cast and crew are looking for other work.
The good news: After knocking at death's door, Club landed a new show-runner and three more episodes to prove itself. It'll have to if it wants a second season.
Odds of Survival: 4

So tell me: Are you more or less anxious now? And if you could save only four of the shows above, which ones would they be and why? The comments section is now open and ready to accept your votes. — Additional reporting by Ben Katner

jedijeff

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on April 17, 2008, 10:13:46 AM
Las Vegas
The bad news: For starters, it's been canceled.
The good news: NBC has yet to release the actors from their contracts, raising hopes for a possible two-hour wrap-up.
Odds of Closure: 2

Hmmm, I really should stop watching TV, everytime I start watching something, it kills it off. Usually it is with new shows, but I guess my curse is spreading to long running shows

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on April 17, 2008, 10:13:46 AM
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
The bad news: For as much money as Fox poured into this show in terms of promotion and special effects, it should've done better.
The good news: The network seems to think it will do better next season — it's already staffing up.
Odds of Survival: 9

Well if any luck hopefully Terminator TV series survives. But since I watch, I hope my curse does not cancel it as well ;)

Geekyfanboy

Yeah I agree Jeff.. I always said if I love the series they will cancel it.. it's the curse of all Geeks I think. :)

billybob476

Rico

They better bring "Moonlight" and "Sarah Connor" back.  Already lost "Journeyman" this year.

Ktrek

I keep looking for some news on October Road Kenny. Have you heard any rumblings?

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Darth Gaos

I did not realize that Las Vegas got the axe!!!

Oooh, my wife is gonna be P-I-S-T MAD!!!!  Especially for the fact they left the show hangin big time at the end of last season.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

spidey27

Sarah Connor "lead candidate" for renewal

Good news for fans of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Kevin Reilly, the president of FOX Entertainment, said in a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter that the freshman series is one of two "lead candidates" for renewal.

"We've already started staffing on Sarah Connor," Reilly told the Reporter. "Although it was an unusual season, it will end up finishing by far and away the strongest new drama of the season. Other shows have not gotten the traction. Just because competition is softer doesn't mean audience has to watch a show."
:spidey

spidey27

Fox boss Kevin Reilly recently told The Hollywood Reporter that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Back to You are the two most likely freshman candidates to return for a sophomore season, implying that other shows such as New Amsterdam just haven't caught on with audiences.
:spidey

Dan M

I watch four of the shows listed:
Sarah Connor
Back to You
How I Met Your Mother
Las Vegas

I hope we get a tv-movie to wrap up Las Vegas.  It was a stupid show, but you can't end it like that. 
How I Met Your Mother is one of the few sitcoms I watch.  It had better come back.
I like Back to You, but I wouldn't be upset if it got canceled.
Sarah Connor is really good, and Fox would be stupid to cancel it.  Even more stupid than they usually are when making programming decisions.

Rico

I'm almost positive Sarah Connor "will be back."  I'd say most of those show odds are pretty good.  I think networks are always way too quick with the cancellation axe.  Shows need a little time to grow and find an audience.  Hey - I didn't see that new cop show "Life" on the list.  Is that already renewed?  I hope.

jedijeff

I hope Life gets picked up as well, as I was really enjoying it, and I am one who usually does not care for police type shows. I agree with Dan and Darth Gaos, that for Las Vegas, they need to give us a 2 hours movie to end it off as they can't leave it as it is. It was silly at times, but fun to watch imho.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on April 18, 2008, 04:47:10 AMHey - I didn't see that new cop show "Life" on the list.  Is that already renewed?  I hope.

Yes "Life" has been picked up.. the list above are shows that still haven't heard if they are picked up or not.