The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, Book 2) by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin
0 (0%)
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
0 (0%)
Hard Contact (Star Wars: Republic Commando) by Karen Traviss
2 (40%)
Betrayal (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, Book 1) by Aaron Allston
0 (0%)
Collision Course (Star Trek: Academy) by William Shatner, Judith Reeves-Stevens, and Garfield Reeves-Stevens
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: March 24, 2008, 07:23:28 AM

Rico

I'm putting up the next book club poll.  The Duffster has been busy with work and asked me to take over the book club, for now.  A couple of things.  Please only vote if you are going to be reading the book and posting in the discussion.  Also, participation has been kind of dwindling on this so depending on how this next one goes I might drop this for awhile.  The plan now is to end the vote this coming weekend (March 23) and not start the next book until April 7th.  Hopefully two weeks will give everyone a chance at getting the book in time.

billybob476

I was thinking about this. I got the book late so I ended up being behind everyone else and therefore got behind in the conversation. maybe we are being too militant about the week/chapter schedule.

I took part in the last Star Wars Action News book club book (Truce at Bakura) and they run their system like this: 1 month to read the book. Read at your own pace.

Maybe a slightly looser schedule like that will help us participate more.

Rico

We spend about one month to read the book.  The breakdown of a certain amount per week is mainly so each of those threads won't spoil what's ahead in the book.  It's already bugged me a few times when stuff was revealed that hadn't happened yet in the section we were discussing.  The only other safe way I would know is to spend a month reading and then start talking about it the following month.  Anyway, again depending on how this next one goes I will see if we continue.

Ricardocameron

Have you guys considered or (read already), "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi?  I picked it up after hearing it recommended on Readmorescifi.com---It is very good so far...Reminiscent of Starship Troopers by Heinlein, but quite original...a good read.

BTW, Star Trek: Academy -- Collision Course(sounds awesome...This coulda been the new movie!!) sets the stage for an exciting new era of Star Trek adventure, and for the first time reveals Kirk and Spock as they were, and how they began their journey to become the Kirk and Spock we know today. http://www.amazon.com/Collision-Course-Star-Trek-Academy/dp/141650396X
www.GoldenRetrieverErrands.com
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make its own judgment." ~Dr. Zefram Cochrane

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." -Arthur C. Clarke

Rico

Couple more days to get your votes in.

jedijeff

I think this will probably take some time to grow, and find a happy medium. I know for the last book, I started a bit late, and then had to travel, so did not get a chance to participate as much as I would have liked since by the time I caught up, I had to leave for a week or so. I guess the one positive thing, is that this book club has helped me with my resolution to read more books, so reading is never a bad thing ;)

Rico

Yeah, I agree Jeff.  The only problem has been it has been dwindling in participation and not really growing.  I know people get busy and some of the books might not be everyone's cup of tea (or they have read them already).  It's a tricky thing to manage.  I know it's been keeping me reading during my lunch most days - which is a good thing.  We'll see how the next book goes.

Rico

Just a few hours left to vote this morning.

Rico

Not a lot of votes, but the winner looks to be: 

Collision Course (Star Trek: Academy) by William Shatner, Judith Reeves-Stevens, and Garfield Reeves-Stevens

We will start this book on April 7th.  So that's in about 2 weeks to get it if you want to participate.  Hopefully we will get some good participation.

Ricardocameron

Got the book, and can't wait to start.  Well, shouldn't lie...I 'dipped' into it a bit :D
www.GoldenRetrieverErrands.com
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make its own judgment." ~Dr. Zefram Cochrane

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." -Arthur C. Clarke

Rico

I have the book too.  Trying to polish off the the third book in the Golden Compass series before this starts.

Jobydrone

I'd love to participate at some point in a discussion about a classic Star Trek novel.  Not that I need an excuse, but I enjoy picking up and re-reading some of my favorites:  some suggestions are:  Federation, Imzadi, Q-Squared, Probe.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Don't forget - we are starting the reading on this next week (4/7).  If you want to join in, make sure to get your book soon.