• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

10,000 BC review/comments

Started by Rico, March 11, 2008, 04:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

I posted this over on the Extralife forum where most people had made up their mind not to see this movie based on the poor critic reviews (I hate that - a pet peeve of mine).  I always urge people to see things they are interested in seeing and ignore what critics say.  Use you own mind and decide.  Anyway, here's a copy of my post over on the Extralife forum.

Ok, folks I saw this and I have to say I think the critics are being incredibly harsh on it. First, the effects were quite good overall. Some very cool scenes that really looked nice on a big screen (I was in a pretty big theater). I think people have become a bit spoiled and jaded with all the CGI these days. This movie has nothing to be ashamed of in that area, in my opinion. The scenes with the mammoth hunt were particularly good. Loved the sabertooth tiger too. Now on to the story and the rest. Basically it's an adventure movie. Without spoiling it too much the plot is pretty basic. Now I know some will have issues with some of the liberties they take with history, language, etc. but if you can get past that you will enjoy it. Keep in mind, I'm also fine with warp speed, transporters and lightsabers, if they help tell a compelling story. I can only guess the critics rating this movie so low have not seen some of the truly stinker movies I have seen over my years as a film fan. It really is an ok film. I really think if you walked into this movie without hearing any reviews or comments before you saw that you would enjoy it. If you like a good adventure set in the past like this. So that's my take on it. Up to everyone else to decide for themselves what they think of it. But only after you see it.

Blackride

You have to admit that the people are a bit pretty :)
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

Quote from: Blackride on March 11, 2008, 05:24:26 PM
You have to admit that the people are a bit pretty :)

Yeah, if you mean they don't look primitive enough.  Especially their teeth.  Must be a few good dentists back then.  But it really didn't bother me much.

Omra

I did'nt know that they shaved back then. lol. 'The totally rad show' panned it.  They said the characters were'nt interesting enough to make you care what happened to them.

Seven7

I plan on seeing this movie tomorrow, in spite of what the critics said.  If my memory is correct, the "critics" panned the first Star Trek movie when it first came out.  Look how THAT turned out!
Seven7

moyer777

I went and saw this movie last night with Andrew, my middle son.

I thought it was ok, but wasn't really captivated by the story.  Now the Cinemotography, the effects and music I thought were great.  Some of the huge scenes in the Pharoah's city were spectacular.  Nathan was at the same theater with a group of friends and said it looked like the first Stargate movie.  I actually thought it looked better than that. 

The sabertooth tiger was way cool.   I thought they did a great job on him.  He looked like my cat Stripey on a bad day.

All in all, it's not a movie I would own on DVD but it was worth some popcorn and a couple of hours.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

Yeah, I agree pretty much with that Rick.  An interesting movie with some cool scenes and effects.

Seven7

I saw this movie yesterday, and I enjoyed it.  The sceneary was cool, (where'd they film this?), the special effects were pretty cool, and this is the first movie I can recall seeing in quite a a while, that had no sex, no excessive foul language, and no graphic violence.  Now I am not a prude by any means, but sometimes I think movie makers depend too much on the latter, sometimes making up for something they think is lacking in their production.  At times, this movie reminded me of Apocalypto, other times it reminded me of Stargate.  I kept thinking, I just know outer space is gonna come in here somewhere!  Yeah, the main plot was a little draggy, but I think the special effects made up for that.  Overall I would give this movie 2/5 starts out of 5 and I'll probably buy it when it comes out in DVD.
Seven7

jedijeff

I Finally saw this movie today, and agree with Rick and Rico's sentiments. I had a good time, thought the visuals were great, and overall thought it was a nice looking movie. Take the story for what it is, an adventure, without getting overly deep. The Sabertooth Tiger was my favorite, I was hoping to see more of him, so a bit let down he did not make an appearance at the end. I liked the teradactyles as well. Probably not a movie I will ever get on DVD, but definitely happy I got to see it in the theatre.