News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Re-Released Trek Movies on DVD??

Started by Geekyfanboy, March 06, 2008, 08:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

New Trek Movie DVDs Mulled?

TrekMovie.com, citing blogs, reported rumors that Paramount may be mulling new DVD releases of the 10 Star Trek movies.

Based on a post on "Troubles With Tribbles" writer David Gerrold's blog, the site reported that Paramount is planning to re-release all 10 Star Trek movies on DVD with a bonus disc of extra material, including interviews with Gerrold and others who performed as extras on Star Trek: The Motion Picture, such as fan Bjo Trimble and Chris Doohan, son of James "Scotty" Doohan.

The site also passed on a report from Digital Bits, citing anonymous sources, that Paramount may be preparing new high-definition transfers and a good digital scrubbing of the movies to prepare them for future Blu-ray release.

billybob476

This would be good for me, as I don't have them as of yet. Used to watch my dad's VHS tapes.

Geekyfanboy

well I just bought all the 2 disc special editions :(

Rico

I will only buy them again in hi-def.  Just like the new Indy DVD's coming.  Not buying them until they are in hi-def.

Jobydrone

Agreed...I treasure the two disc special editions I own of all ten movies, all bought the day they released.  I doubt I will buy them again even on Blu-Ray...DVD on a nice upscaling player looks plenty good enough for me, even on my 42" 1080P set.  The special features on those sets are comprehensive and entertaining.  I can't imagine anything could improve enough on them to make another purchase worthwhile.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Ktrek

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on March 06, 2008, 10:20:44 AM
Agreed...I treasure the two disc special editions I own of all ten movies, all bought the day they released.  I doubt I will buy them again even on Blu-Ray...DVD on a nice upscaling player looks plenty good enough for me, even on my 42" 1080P set.  The special features on those sets are comprehensive and entertaining.  I can't imagine anything could improve enough on them to make another purchase worthwhile.

I'm kind of with you on this one Joby. I also bought all ten special editions the day they came out and I'm pretty satisfied with how they look upscaled. I'm also not really sure how much more of my money I am willing to give Paramount on Star Trek material. When XI is released I'll but it of course but I have spent thousands of dollars obtaining my collection. Yea...I wish every single episode was in high def but they are watchable and I can watch any episode at any time I want. That's really all I care about. New blu-ray versions are going to have to give me a lot more perks than a few interviews with minor/nameless characters.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

jedijeff

I have all the 2 disc sets as well, I bought them pretty well when they were released, and to be honest, they were not that expensive at the time. I agree with the sentiments of the rest, that this set probably does not warrant me purchasing again, since I am happy with the 2 disc sets, and onw a lot of the movies 2 times on dvd and in some cases 3 with VHS. Hi-Def, that is a different story, but would hope if they do release them on that format, that it will be with lots of extras, and something different then what we have right now. Since I bought the first season of TOS on HD, chances are good I will get the movies when they come out Hi-Def.

Meds

Unbelievable. I bought the nice box set (dark purple with the orange badge on) and its the special edition box set and its brilliant. But here we go again releasing them again and sticking a couple of extra's on is insulting to fans. I've wanted the films and i've saved up to buy them and that's what annoys me, because i know what i'm like, i like to have all the extra bits. My Indy box set that i already have i treasure and now Emperor Lucas pops up again to create another box set in which he can make some more money to add into his death star bank account through us mere hard working fans. I wish just once they would say hey, look here's the film and we've put everything we can find onto these disks. I'd pay a bit extra for that instead of constantly paying more money out for up-dated   dvd releases. Rant over

Geekyfanboy

I'm right there with you Hawk.. I love all the extras and I hate when the release different versions with just a bit extra extras...

Meds

Its so frustrating isn't it. Star Wars was the ultimate for that, i first bought the video's, then the special video's, then the dvd's, then the box set original dvd's arghhhhhhhhhhh . And that's what makes me mad because people like you and me kenny, plus prob every person on this site can't get enough of our facts, extra's and trivia so we'll go out and fork out another £50.

moyer777

I have all the special edition discs and I really enjoy them.

When I finally get a high definition TV, I am hopefull they will have them on Blue Ray, we will see.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Meds

I'm a bit against Blue Ray if i'm honest. Purely for the fact that i've got over 400 DVD's and the thought of them stopping making them is not great. saying that though if they bought out (or maybe they already have) a Blue Ray player that plays standard DVD's i would be happy.

billybob476

I was under the imporession that blu ray players did indeed play standard def dvds.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on March 08, 2008, 06:32:58 AM
I was under the imporession that blu ray players did indeed play standard def dvds.

I think most of them do.  Where's Ktrek?  He is our Blu-Ray expert here.

jedijeff

I think they do as well, as Kevin mentioned earlier that he found the Upscaling of the Star Trek movies looked good. I am taking that to mean Blu-Ray will upscale and play standard def DVD's, I would be surprised if they did not.