• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

I need some suggestions

Started by Geekyfanboy, March 03, 2008, 12:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

My Partner and I will be having our commitment ceremony in August of this year. I'm started to plan out some things and need help. We are trying to make it a Star Trek themed wedding. It's going to be held in our backyard so will be outside.

I need some suggestions for centerpieces and decorations.. of course we are on a tight budget so I'd prefer something I can make fairly cheaply.

Any ideas would be great.

thanks,
Kenny

billybob476

Congrats Kenny! That's great. Off the top of my head I don't have any ground-breaking suggestions. But for centerpieces you could always try to find some interesting-looking flowers that are a bit 'alien' looking. Flowers tend to get very pricey very quickly as I found out from my wedding.

KingIsaacLinksr

Don't look at me, I'm lousy with decorating.  One suggestion would be to go to a Deco Store.  They might have Star Trek/Sci Fi stuff.  I don't know what the names of the stores would be however.  Sorry I can't be anymore help. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Meds

Congrats Kenny. Well for a start you should both stand on transformer discs, any round piece of plastic would look good with some really nice red carpet around them that would make a nice bit of decoration, its a little touch but you two would know that you'd be beaming away somewhere. Instead of rings how about you use communication badges, you could easily have rings next to them as well. erm or now i don't know how you would build it but how about a holodeck control arch which you could stand under. Could be made out of ply wood easily which is quite cheap and I'm sure you could get the graphics online or you prob own some anyway. Wow star trek themed, i get married in June and Natalie won't even let me take my lightsaber with me ha ha. Hope my ideas are of some use to you Kenny, congrats to your partner as well.

Rico

Congrats to you and Harry both.  How about some of those big cardboard "standee's" of some of the characters - you know the life size ones that stand up.  Then you can put a few around and get a lot of cool pictures with Worf and Picard!  ;)

X

Where to begin?

First off. I would suggest you go with the White dress Nemisis uniforms. If you can't find somewhere to buy them I'm sure you can find some seamstress to make them.

Secondly ... Guardian of Forever. Instead of placing rings on fingers ( a practice that was created for one of the world wars to have a symbol of love), handfasting, or stepping on wine glasses, symbolically leap through a full size guardian of forever as a show of being tied together in both the past and into the future.

I'd give more ideas, but my wife needs me to help her for a few hours.

OH Klingon wedding vows! I think they rock personally.

Geekyfanboy

Thanks guys for your suggestions.. I can see I'll be living out some of your guys Star Trek Theme wedding fantasies. :)

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on March 03, 2008, 03:15:21 PM
Thanks guys for your suggestions.. I can see I'll be living out some of your guys Star Trek Theme wedding fantasies. :)

lol yea, it looks that way.  I'm afraid I'm just too young to think about "wedding" stuff and such.  But good luck nonetheless.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

X

LOL. I don't think I ever had a theme wedding in mind for me. Maybe at one point I was considering a Shaft theme wedding just to hear the song played at an actual wedding, but otherwise, I'd rather get a JP and spend the money that the wedding would have cost on stuff for the joint place and a good honeymoon.

Bryancd

Although I have no immediate ideas as to decorations, let me add my congrat's to you both! I have two clients who had a beautiful ceremony they called "A Union of Souls" where they had all of their friends and family, my wife and I included, gather at a estate in Villanova, PA for a reception and readings. I just so happen to be the stockbroker for the Philadelphia gay society elite! It was very special and I'm sure yours will be as well!

All my best to you and Harry.

:cheers

jedijeff

I wish you and Harry all the best for the ceremony, I am sure whatever you decide will be great. I wish I had some thoughts on what you should use for decorations, but cant think of much. Maybe get ballons in Star Trek colors Red, Gold/Yellow and Blue

Ktrek

Maybe you two could have the ceremony at the Star Trek Experience in Vegas? That would give you a backdrop and setting already in place. A great vacation spot to boot and probably inexpensive tickets from L.A.! Anyway, I wish you both well!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Darth Gaos

Well  that was odd...computer just hiccuped.  Anyway, I have no idea as I have the creative mind of a carrot apparently.  However I did want to offer you and Harry our most sincere congratulations and wish you guys a long and happy life together.  Haven't you two been together awhile already?

EDIT:  Good Lord what is it with me and this computer this morning?!  Fingers...not...working...correctly...need ...more...sleep....stupid work
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Ktrek on March 03, 2008, 08:08:34 PM
Maybe you two could have the ceremony at the Star Trek Experience in Vegas? That would give you a backdrop and setting already in place. A great vacation spot to boot and probably inexpensive tickets from L.A.! Anyway, I wish you both well!

Kevin

We thought about doing it on the bridge of the Enterprise at the Experience but we have family coming in from Austria and we don't want to have folks travel to Vegas. Also we really want to share this experience with friends and family and if we keep it local we can share it with more people.

Jobydrone

I'm surprised noone has suggested a traditional Betazoid ceremony.  That's the first thing that came to my mind.  Then again, most families are a bit TOO traditional for a traditional Betazoid ceremony. 

For centerpieces, you can't go wrong with Hallmark Star Trek Christmas oranaments.  I just did a quick search on Ebay and found 255 of them, ranging in price from 99 cents to $25.  Depending how many tables you are planning, this might get a little expensive but there are some fantastic ornaments out there as I am sure you know, and they will be keepsakes for a long time after the wedding day.

I like Ric's idea of the standees.  That would make for some interesting pics for the album for sure.

You can easily create starfield backdrops for photos by melting drops of wax on white cotton bedsheets, getting creative with your design creating planets, stars, comets, and galaxies in the wax if you want, then dyeing the sheets black.  When the sheets are dry, take them to a drycleaner to get the wax out, then you can hand paint designs of your choice on the white planets/stars/etc that are left wherever the wax blocked the dye from seeping into the sheet.  The result are beautiful hand painted batik starfield backdrops for all your pictures.

Whatever you do, make sure you make the whole experience fun and not a source of stress if you can help it.  You'll treasure the memories for the rest of your life.  Good luck and congrats! 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx