Free Firefly/Serenity E-Book download

Started by Duffster, February 28, 2008, 07:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duffster

I just finished reading an unauthorized Firefly novel by the great author Stephen Brust. I gotta say I thought it was fantastic! He really captured the feel of Firefly. The best part is he released it under the Creative Commons license...so it's FREE!!!!  Enjoy!!

http://dreamcafe.com/firefly.html

Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Geekyfanboy

Well I'm not normally into Fanfic.. but since you give it your approval Duffster.. I'll give it a try.. I love Firefly.

Duffster

I agree with you on the Fan fiction, I don't read much of that. But Stephen Brust is a really good professional author. I've read a few of his books and really enjoyed them. I was quite surprised he did this, but it was a pleasant surprise.

I think you will enjoy the story.

Duffster
Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

wraith1701

The way I understand it, Brust was given the OK to write a Firefly book, but Whedon later decided that he didn't want anyone other than himself writing stories about the 'Verse (for the time being). 

Anyway; I think that instead of scrapping the book, Brust decided to go ahead and put it out there for free.

By the way; if y'all are hungry for Whedon-penned tales of the 'Verse, there is a comic mini-series written by him coming out March 12th called "Better Days"!

wraith1701

I know I've seen this mentioned somewhere on the forum, but I can't find the thread. 

A new Firefly novel called My Own Kind Of Freedom is available for free download HERE under a creative commons license.

Not simply Fan Fiction, My Own Kind Of Freedom is a novel written by professional Sci-Fi author Steven Brust, who's most recognizable works include short stories written in anthologies about Robert Asprin's Thieves' World, Neil Gaiman's Sandman and Terri Windling's Borderland Series.

Brust had the OK from series creator Jos Whedon to write the novel, only to have Whedon later decide that he didn't want any additional stories set in the Firefly Universe published right now (perhaps out of fear of contradicting upcoming storylines?).  Anyway, instead of trashing the book, Brust has released it for free download.  If any firefly fans out there are hungry for more tales from the 'Verse, this might be a good quick fix.

-Eric

***EDIT***

There's the tread!  Thanks for moving the post to where it belongs.   :)