• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

How fast are you?

Started by X, January 24, 2008, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

You definitely always want to use a wired connection - if you can.  Comcast recently bumped us up a bit too.  But not as fast as you guys.

Jobydrone

I think Comcast offers three tiers and I was paying for the middle. I might have gotten an email saying they moved me up a tier, so I could be on their fastest residential plan now.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Recently got a new Linksys router and a new Motorola Arris cable modem.  I was having a few weird disconnects with the old gear at times.  Things seem solid now.

jedijeff

What Linksys router did you get Rico? I have been looking to upgrade my router, and I was thinking of a Linksys as that is what I have currently and always had good luck with them. I was eyeing a Netgear router, it was on sale last week, but not this week, so kicking myself a bit for snoozing on it as Amazon and Best Buy ran the sale on them at the same time, and then ended the same time.

Rico

jedijeff

Yeah, that was the one I was thinking of myself. It was between that one and the Netgear Nighthawk, as like you, I would like to get a good one I can have for awhile.

WillEagle

I sell the different routers at work and I have heard some negatives about the Netgear Nighthawk. I use a Netgear and love it but it is no where near as good as the ones you guys are talking about. If and when I need a new Router I'll probably stick to a Netgear but I won't need the highest end for what I do on a regular basis. I have been playing the STO game again and for the most part I have had no issues except for a few signal drops which most of them recover before the game logs off.

jedijeff

I picked up a Netgear Nighthawk today, so will see how it goes. For the most part from what I read, it got pretty good reviews, so I am hoping that things work out for me with it. I guess at the very least, my laptop was able to connect to it, where with my previous router, it could not, without the use of USB network adapter. My Niece just came to live with us, and she has a HP laptop, which like mine could not connect, so that was my main reason I got this one. Also my Wife and Niece stream a lot of video, so this one seemed to be advertised as good for streaming.
So crossing my fingers this work out, and fortunately I was able to get it on sale at Staples, so missing out a few weeks back not as a big of a deal in the end.

Ktrek

I have a Netgear N900 router that has been really good. In my experience I have found the distance on the Netgear better than Linksys but have not tried the one Rico bought. That's like the Linksys cadillac of routers and probably more than most people need. However, if anyone is thinking about getting that router Sam's Club has them for under $200 in their stores.

Kevin 
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

WillEagle

Quote from: jedijeff on August 29, 2015, 06:50:35 PM
I picked up a Netgear Nighthawk today, so will see how it goes. For the most part from what I read, it got pretty good reviews, so I am hoping that things work out for me with it. I guess at the very least, my laptop was able to connect to it, where with my previous router, it could not, without the use of USB network adapter. My Niece just came to live with us, and she has a HP laptop, which like mine could not connect, so that was my main reason I got this one. Also my Wife and Niece stream a lot of video, so this one seemed to be advertised as good for streaming.
So crossing my fingers this work out, and fortunately I was able to get it on sale at Staples, so missing out a few weeks back not as a big of a deal in the end.
Glad you found a good deal. And you found it at Staples! I have worked there a long time!

Rico

Internet seems a tad faster today...

Bromptonboy

Pete

Rico

sheldor

Just switched to comcast.  So far - no issues.

Bromptonboy

I pay for the minimum - which is 15 I think, and my office is in a weak section of the house for signals.  All I do is tunnel into work, so I don't need a lot of speed.  :)
Pete