• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

How fast are you?

Started by X, January 24, 2008, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Pete - Are you on Fios or wireless when you run that Speedtest?

Kevin - downloading can sap bandwidth no matter the connection you have. It tends to use as much as it can, depending on settings and various factors. Also, loading a web page involves many things besides your local connection speed.

Bromptonboy

I have to move my office - or run a network cable up to my office.  It is in the worse spot in relate to the Wifi adapter.  I am using a repeater to get that type of service! 
Truthfully it doesn't really matter - since I just use the office for work.  Any media watching is done off of devices that get good connections.
Pete

Ktrek

Pete - You're on Verizon Fios? If so those speeds are not right. The lowest should be 25/25. You're slower than a dial up. How can you stand it? If my speed was that slow I would probably disconnect out of frustration. The Fios network should be super fast. Have you tried using a different router? And also have you ran the Verizon Fios optimizer and analyzers? And can I ask how much you pay for such lousy speed?

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Any speed test done over Wifi does not represent your true internet connection speed. Run a wire Pete.

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on January 04, 2015, 05:51:29 AM

Kevin - downloading can sap bandwidth no matter the connection you have. It tends to use as much as it can, depending on settings and various factors. Also, loading a web page involves many things besides your local connection speed.

I only recently started having this problem Rico. I was able to download using VUZE up to ten files at a time and still surf the web no problem. Now it will download but won't let me access any web pages while doing so. I'm wondering if I might need to replace my modem?

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on January 04, 2015, 07:53:47 AM
Any speed test done over Wifi does not represent your true internet connection speed. Run a wire Pete.

Very true!

sheldor

Over the wireless - faster than I expected.

Bromptonboy

Yes I know - but for the desktop I use the most at home (only exclusively for VPN to work - note the test is not done when VPN is running) - it actually seems fast enough for me.  I am not gaming, or streaming content on this PC.  For some streaming devices we have, they get a much better connection - and I don't have many complaints.  Next time I have occasion to get on one of the laptops the kids use - I will do another test and post.
Pete

Bromptonboy

Here we go from a laptop in a part of the house that gets a good signal:

Pete

Bromptonboy

Ok, here we go - plugged into the network hub:
Pete

X

Got an upgrade recently

Jobydrone

Holy Shmoley that's some fast downloading Chris!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bromptonboy

Pete

Jobydrone

Here's me, wired connection on my new computer, better than I expected :)

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

This is the result from the same computer over wifi, what a huge difference!  Wired all the way from now on!