• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Trek: Season 5 - Boldly

Started by Jen, January 20, 2008, 07:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

Isaac was lost deep in thought as he rounded a corner in the corridor when all of the sudden, a fuzzy hairball ran past his leg.  Not a half second later, another big furry thing bumped into his leg.  Being unprepared for such an attack, Isaac fell onto his rump.

"What in the world was that?" he asked aloud.  He was getting up when he heard two sets of feet padding on the floor and giggling.  As they passed around the corner, he saw two children.  They were running too fast to stop so he held out his arms to catch them.  As he caught them, the force of the two kids forced him onto his back and he felt it instantly complain.  He didn't recognize the two little things which had stopped laughing.  From the look of their ears, they were Vulcan.  They got off his chest and the girl touched his hand and looked at Isaac concerned while the boy asked, "are you alright?"  Coughing a little, Isaac responded, "yes, I'm alright."

He heard more footsteps and around the corner came Margon and Aeric. 

They stopped and both raised their eyes at Isaac and then Margon asked, "are you alright Isaac?" 

"I feel like I got hit by a train." Isaac said in between coughing.  He looked at the children then said, "it looks like I was hit by one". 

"You're lucky it wasn't a sehlat." Aeric said as he looked at the fallen ensign as Isaac tried to get into a sitting position but cringed as pain racked his body.

"My apologies Isaac, I'm afraid my cat has started this little mess." replied Margon. 

"So that was the fuzzball that ran by me" said Isaac grimacing.  "I don't suppose you know what could have hit me in the leg as it wasn't these little ones."

"I would assume that it was Laika, a dog I brought to entertain the kids." answered Aeric.

Isaac sat up and raised an eyebrow at Aeric.  "A dog." he confirmed.  "I have harmless little Sugar Gliders and there are apparently dangerous animals onboard.  Where is a Captain when you need him?" Isaac said jokingly and grimacing while still slightly coughing.

"Probably making sure that his command crew aren't bringing pets to staff meetings." Aeric said flatly as if wondering the purpose of the joke the ensign made. Normally he might have checked on the health of the ensign, but his mind was currently more focused on the children and the data that Laika's action were generating.  Isaac felt stung by the remark but said nothing of it. 

"You should go to the sickbay Isaac." said Margon. 

"I'll be alright. Besides, those pets should be caught before they do more damage." said Isaac. 

"We can gather them." said Aeric as he considered if the ensign was competent enough to look after the children. "You should wait here with the children.  She should be right behind us." 

Isaac nodded in agreement and began to gather the children together as the two officers continued down the hallway.  He looked at the two children and wondered what their names were.

He asked with a smile, "What are your names?"  The little boy looked back at him after following Aeric's departure while the little girl continued to look at Isaac concerned.  "I'm N'val and she is M'rynn.  What is your name?" replied the boy. 

Isaac answered, "my name is Isaac. Your mother's name is Commander Sevryll, correct?"  The children nodded their heads in confirmation.  "Alright then, lets start heading back to your mother then."  He worried they would just run away from him, but the boy seemed to trust him, and the girl seemed to trust her brother.

Isaac was getting up from the floor when he saw Sevryll turn a corner, walking calmly in their direction. Isaac greeted her immediately,  "Hello Commander."  Sevryll looked at Isaac and then at her children.  "Hello Mr. Starstriker, I see you've met my children."

"Yes, you could say that."  Isaac smiled through a grimace as a twinge of pain stabbed at his back. 

"Are you alright?" asked Sevryll. 

"Yea, I'm fine, I just happened to be in the way of a train."  She raised an eyebrow.  "Train?"  Isaac pointed to the two children who had run to their mother.  She nodded in understanding. 

"Come N'val, M'rynn."  Sevryll thanked Isaac... and noticed blotch of blue color at his sleeve.  An instant later, it was gone.... 'Odd,' she thought. 

"Well, if you'll excuse me Commander, I'll be on my way."  replied Isaac.  "Of course," she replied. "Thank you for your assistance," she said wondering where Margon and Aeric were.  Isaac turned around and headed for his quarters with three pairs of eyes following him.

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

X

Joint post by Just X and Moyer777

The corridor of the Akira Class starship shutter from slight random shifts in the gravity level as the lighting flickered intermittently. Aeric and Margon moved rapidly after the holographic dog and its prey as they turned into a completely darkened section of the ship.  Leaning on one of the dimly lit walls for support, the lieutenant called out to the canine that had halted before a completely shadowed section of the hallway.

"Warning depressurization detected. Deck two, section 21" Came the slightly slower than normal voice of the main computer. Only a few meters behind the two officers, the blue flicker of a containment forcefield was the only hint of possible danger.

"Laika, return." Aeric spoke towards the animal in an elevated voice. Upon hearing the command, the small dog quickly turned to face him and eagerly moved to his side.  If the computer was correct, they were losing breathable atmosphere from somewhere in the section that they currently occupied.

Margon chuckled.  "I wish I could get my cat to come to me like that.  Is it me or do I feel a slight loss of gravity?"

"He is a hologram Counselor and you are right about the gravity." Aeric said flatly, much more concerned at what the ship was doing now.

"James to engineering," Aeric said after quickly tapping his com badge only to receive a short series of chirps that informed him of an inability to contact the department. "James to Captain Quinn."

Again the lieutenant was greeted with the series of chirps that signaled a loss of communications. Reaching out with his mind, he tried to directly interface with the systems only to be met with an almost mind numbing static. Aeric quickly pulled his thoughts back to himself and looked at the councilor.

"It seems that shipboard communications are down in this section and I can't seem to mentally access them either," Aeric said as he wiped his fingers across his brow.

"Great" said the counselor sarcastically.

Laika stood almost motionlessly at the lieutenant's feet as he pushed himself from the wall. With the gravity reduced, Aeric found that his slight push from the wall almost sent him crashing into the other side. Catching himself before he impacted, Aeric turned to Margon. "It looks like we might be on our own until I can establish alternate means of communication."

Down the hall the councilor and the lieutenant could see the fingers of other crew members as they attempted to release themselves from the non-functional doors to their quarters. With the main computer not responding to his combadge, they would manually have to alter the transmission frequency in hopes of getting help.

In an almost comical moment, Mr. Mouse floated toward the counselor.  He quickly scooped the feline into his arms and embraced him.  "You ok little fella?"  The cat just clung to him.  The gravity came back on slamming objects and people to the floor.  Cries for help came from several quarters and then gravity was lost again. 

"Looks like we need to help people lieutenant.  Perhaps we could get communications working so we can beam us out of this section."  Margon tapped his com badge, but to no avail.  "Try that mental thing you do again" the counselor urged trying to smile. "I'm afraid I'm not much for frequency modifications, but I can see if people need help."

Aeric nodded to Margon as he focused his thought on the two com badges and worked to alter their transmission frequencies. What should have been a minor effort was quite taxing to the lieutenant and after several second, he had made little progress and the increasing levels of pain forced him to pause in his work.

"I'm still getting some sort of interference," Aeric said as he clung to the wall and held his now throbbing head. "I'm going to need to find tools to do this by hand."

It would take more time trying to mentally adjust the devices than it would to just find the tools they needed as they helped their trapped colleagues.  Aeric knew that if he could just get the badges adjusted, he could open a channel directly to Aurora and begin to move the injured and trapped to better sections of the ship.  Without a tricorder, Aeric had know clue how fast they were venting atmosphere, but he did have the dog.

"Laika, one bark for yes and two for no," Aeric said as he looked at the dog. "Is your connection to the Aurora still active."

One bark.

Aeric nodded slowly once his pain subsided a bit, he could use that connection to contact the shuttle. In his current state of distress, he couldn't even reach the shuttle with a direct mental connection.  "Does your sensors detect atmospheric loss?"

Two barks.

Aeric smiled as he slumped against the wall. There was still a danger, but it wasn't as critical as he first imagined. They still needed to help people and that was the priority. Aeric moved on shaky feet as he followed the councilor deeper into the darkened section. His pain would have to wait, there were people that needed them. "Laika, follow. We need to see what we can do about helping these people."

Geekyfanboy

Joint Post Startrekfanatic5 & BryanCD

Quinn quickly walked down the corridor heading toward engineering. This new development in the gel packs could be devastating to the ship if it spreads. As usual Quinn's mind was racing, he could hear the voices of the entire crew, but as he was trained he would push them down to a low mummer. Suddenly everything went quiet.

Quinn stopped in his tracks, panic started to creep into his heart. Before he could do anything the mummer was back. Quinn took a deep breath and slightly shook his head and continued down the hallway to engineering.

As he entered engineering Lt. Commander K'arath spotted him and approached. "Captain!!"

Quinn stopped and looked up, "Commander there might be a problem. I'm sure you are aware of the three infected gel packs that Ensign Took removed from jefferies tube 36 earlier this morning. K'arath nodded, "It's more serious then your average malfunctioning gel packs. They are infected with some sort of virus and replicating at extraordinary rate. I have sickbay working on what type of virus and how to fix or cure it. We need to check every gel pack on board and make sure there are no others infected. If we don't catch this soon it can have catastrophic consequences for the Tiberius

K'arth's brow furrowed as the Captains comment sunk in. Ever since their first use in the Intrepid Class vessels, he had been wary of the bio-mechanical gel packs. Anything which couldn't be repaired with a hydro-spanner or good old fashion wrench as never to an engineers liking. He couldn't very well send the warp core to sick bay, could he? He glanced over his shoulder at a clearly nervous Lt. Plummer, who had stayed well beyond her duty shift following Ensign Took's discovery. "Lt. Plummer, begin a level one diagnostic of all systems, report any anomaly's !" K'arath barked.

Quinn nodded, "Very good Commander please keep me informed of your progress."  Quinn turned to leave when suddenly the ship shook. "What was that??" Quinn asked as he turned back to K'arath.

"Status!" K'arath now bellowed across the Engineering room.

"Depressurization detected. Deck two, section 21! Containment fields are holding!" came the worried response from Lt. Plummer.

K'arath looked at the concern on his Captains face as well as something else, as Quinn's hand pressed on his temple."I want a rescue and repair team dispatched now! We may have crew stranded behind the field!" K'arath bellowed.

For the second time in a matter of minutes the voices in Quinn's head went out only for a few seconds. Quinn turned to K'arath, "I need to get to the bridge now!!!" he said has he rushed through the doors into the corridors.

Jen

After they said their goodbyes, Ensign Starstriker returned to his quarters and the vulcan woman headed back to her own with two youngsters in tow. M'rynn and N'Vall walked beside their mother, as she patiently explained why they should never leave their quarters without her. Her son started to articulate his reasons for chasing the animals, when the lights abruptly blinked out in the corridor.

The willowy woman reassured her toddlers with soft words as M'rynn began to whimper quietly. An instant later, a blue force field hummed to life before them, startling the children. "I am with you. Everything will be alright," said Sevryll in a soothing tone. "N'vall...I will need you to release my hand so that I can call for help." The boy loosened his grip reluctantly before transitioning his grasp to the fabric of her pant leg.  The commander tapped her badge "Sevryll to the bridge." The combadge responded with a labored chirp, followed by static. She repeated her call and received the same response, then turned the twins in the opposite direction and quickly proceeded down the corridor. The gravity relaxed slightly, causing the children to stumble as they walked, but soon N'vall's fear was gone as he discovered he could jump further if he let go of his mother's leg. The three vulcanoids continued through the passageway until they encountered Lieutenant James and Counselor Margon.

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

KingIsaacLinksr

Isaac was just about to enter his quarters when the lights suddenly blinked out in the corridor.  He reached his door and they wouldn't open.  He immediately reached his mind out to his Sugar Gliders and they were awake and a little frightened.  He soothed them with his mind then withdrew it. 

"Ensign Starstriker to bridge"  nothing.  "Ensign Starstriker to bridge"  still nothing. 

He tried to reach out with his mind but found it blocked by interference.  'What in the world??  My mind has never been stopped by interference before.  What is the meaning of this?!' 

Deciding that the only solution was meet up with crewman, he headed in the direction that Margon and Aeric had gone.  He wondered if Aeric disliked him.  Not having invaded his mind, as it would have been unintelligent, but Aeric had been seemingly cold towards Isaac.  It might have been that he was more concerned about the dog.  Isaac could not be sure.

A minute later he found himself with Lieutenant James, Counselor Margon and Commander Sevryll and her children.  "Anyone know what is going on here?" Isaac asked.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

wraith1701

In five forward, the decibel level seemed to be steadily rising.  k'tan lifted his glass in salute to the five other gold-shirts sharing the booth. 

"Q'plah!" he shouted, then tossed back the glass of brandy.

Being accustomed to the much stronger bloodwine that was more or less a staple on Klingon ships, K'Tan felt confident that he could handle one or two more glasses before he reached his limit.  As he slammed down his empty glass, one of the officers sitting across form him finished off his own drink, then stood up. 

"I'd better call it a night," the balding man said.  "I go on duty in 10 hours; I think I better get some sleep before then."  He turned to nudge the semiconscious man slumped in the seat next to him.

"wake up, Johnson; I'll help you back to your quarters."

As the officer led his bleary-eyed friend towards the exit, the raven-haired woman on the other side of the table moved over occupy the newly vacated seat.   She took a moment to refill her glass, then smiled at K'Tan.

"My name is Tara; I work in security.  I don't think I've seen you around.  Did you just transfer here?" 

"My name is k'Tan," the Lieutenant replied.  "I recently transferred here from the U.S.S. Ranger.  I haven't really had a chance to settle into a routine yet, but my training is in Tactical and Security.  I'm sure that we will get a chance to work together before too long."

With a mischievous grin, Tara replied "I can't wait.  I just hope you can keep up," she added with a wink. 

One of the  two officers sitting next to her gave an exaggerated groan.  "Oh boy; here we go again."  He gave his comrade a friendly punch in the shoulder, then said "That's our cue, man.  Let's let these two finish off the brandy, and see if sickbay has something to head off a possible hangover."  The officers left, leaving K'Tan and Tara alone with a still mostly-full bottle of saurian brandy.

K'Tan found himself unable to tear his eyes away from the woman's face.  Although he was human, he had always considered Klingon women to be the epitome of beauty, no doubt a result of his having grown up on a Klingon world.  Human women had never seemed  to have as much spirit as their Klingon counterparts.  But there was something about this woman... 

At first glance, she was, quite simply, stunning.  Her hair, which flowed around her shoulders like a waterfall of shimmering black silk, seemed to call out for him to touch it.  As she smiled at him, he was taken aback by her gleaming, pearly white teeth, which provided a striking contrast to the deep, coffee-bronze tan of her flawless skin.  As she playfully arched an eyebrow at him, K'Tan felt as though he was drowning in her shimmering, dark-blue eyes.

But it wasn't just her good looks that had K'Tan in a daze.  The woman seemed to have the heart of a warrior.  Something about the way she carried herself; something about the fearless, joyful manner in which she seemed to embrace life reminded him of the fierce pride embodied by many Klingon women.  It reminded him of his lost love, K'Lara...

K'Tan was brought out of his daze by the sudden, insistent snapping of Tara's fingers just inches away from his face.  "Snap out of it buddy," she said with a smile.  As K'Tan smiled back sheepishly, she tacked on " Maybe you need to take it easy on the drinks."

K'Tan chuckled softly.  "I assure you; it would take more than a couple of glasses of saurian brandy to put me out.  I was just thinking about an old friend.  You sort of remind me of her."

Suddenly, the lights in the lounge flickered, then went out. 

The jovial bantering of the patrons abruptly ceased, leaving a stark silence echoing in the tomb-dark room.

Seconds later, the lights cut back on, revealing dozens of puzzled, anxious faces looking around in confusion.

"What the hell?" Tara said, rising quickly from her seat.  She tapped her combadge.   

"Stass to Security Chief Manrique." There was no response. 

She tapped the badge a second time. "Stass to Lt. Tain." 

Once again, her call was met with silence. 

Tara slapped the cap back on the bottle of brandy, and slid it across the table to K'tan. 

"Consider this a 'welcome aboard' gift.  Sorry to cut things short, but I need to report to security." 

Shedding her previous jovial, carefree demeanor, Tara seemed suddenly cloaked in an air of cool professionalism.  As she headed towards the exit, K'Tan couldn't help but steal a last appreciative glance at her. 

K'Tan stood, tucking the bottle under his left arm, and made his way to the exit as well.  Suddenly, the ship gave a brief but violent shudder. 

As shouts of fear and alarm rang out in the lounge, K'Tan tossed the bottle to a passing waiter and spun to address the  crowd. 

Raising his voice to carry above the din of confused voices, K'Tan called out,  "Everyone, please remain calm." 

As the crowd turned to face him, he donned a mask of calm confidence; an expression that was totally at odds with the apprehension he felt growing in his gut. 

"The Tiberius is one of the most well-designed ships in the fleet.  It would take a hell of a lot more than a little interstellar turbulence to threaten her structural integrity," he added with a smile.   

As he scanned the room, K'Tan tried to make eye contact with each of  the uniformed personnel scattered throughout the crowd. 

"I'm certain that the Captain and the command crew have the situation well in hand.  Unfortunately, intra-ship communications seem to be temporarily offline.  Enlisted personnel might want to check in with their department heads to see if there are any updates.  Everyone else, please; enjoy your meals."

As the din of the crowd started to return to normal, K'Tan resumed his march to the exit. 

I may as well see if I can be of assistance somewhere, he thought as he stepped out into the corridor.

Jen

Ryla analyzed the results of her second test; they were the same as the first, except the aggressiveness of the organism  had increased exponentially. The Trill twisted a lock of hair as she recorded the outcome, and tapped her combadge, "Dret to Doctor Peterson." The badge made an awkward retort of off-key chirps, followed by silence... She bit her bottom lip then tried again only to receive an equivalent response.

Doctor Dret exited her cramped office and strode onto the floor of Sickbay. "Doctor Lucas, my badge seems to be malfunctioning. Can you use your's?" He met her pleasant face with an unenthusiastic gaze and tapped his badge dramatically—it made a similar noise before falling silent. Reticent, Lucas turned his attention back to his work; ignoring the cheerful blond once more.

"I'll take that as a NO," she said sardonically. "Well, Doctor Peterson asked me to keep him apprised of my progress on the virus...I'll have to inform him in person." Lucas grunted in reply as Doctor Dret left Sickbay.

Ryla was about to announce her presence at Peterson's door when the deck shuddered beneath her feet. A low rumble quickly followed the quake, as the lighting flickered about her in the corridor. The petite Trill threw a hand against the doorframe to keep her balance and attempted to signal Peterson by pressing the door chime...just like the combadges, it refused to operate.

She rapped her knuckles on the door three times, "Doctor Peterson? Sir? It's Ryla Dret..." A stirring within his quarters met her ears before the door cracked open. Ryla strained as she helped Peterson manually force it wider.

"It looks like our fear of a bio pack epidemic has become a reality, Dret." Said the CMO in a gravely voice. The physical exertion caused Casey's head to pound once more and he wandered back into his quarters and lowered himself in a chair. He looked like a hermit to Ryla, for had grown a Five O'clock shadow, his hair was a mess and he was still wearing his wrinkled, sloppy sleepwear.  He squeezed his eyes closed as a stab of pain struck his temples.

Ryla frowned in reaction, "Sir, let me treat your headache—come back to sickbay with me... after we take care of the pain, I'll show you the results of the second test on the contaminated gel packs." Peterson nodded and they headed to Sickbay together.

As they approached the transparent double doors of the medical bay, Ryla could see that Doctor Lucas was standing at her station. "The power seems to be functioning in this section," said Casey as the doors hissed open. When Lucas noticed their approach, he casually left her station and returned to his own. Ryla's eyes followed him as she picked up a medical tricorder and a hypospray. The CMO took a seat at his desk, and watched as Ryla checked on her station. She looked into her microscanner then abruptly rose wearing an expression of shock. She shot Doctor Lucas a glare and quickly crossed the floor to confront him. Peterson strained to hear their conversation, but Ryla kept her voice smooth and low.

"What were you doing at my station Lucas?" she whispered through grit teeth. "The Molecular surface of the virus is showing protein spikes... so now it's a Rhinovirus?  You expect me to believe it just morphed into a simple cold? You replaced it, didn't you? Why?"  Doctor Lucas feigned a look of shock... then his face transformed into an expression of pain. He attempted to swallow a cough, but it erupted violently and he leaned against the table to brace himself. The Trill noticed that the sweat that had beaded on his forehead earlier was now coming down his face in salty streams. Working her jaw in irritation, she flipped open her medical scanner and passed it over the sickly man. "You're running a high fever. Let me help you lay down." She reached for his arm, but he pulled it away with a tug and moved to the other side Sickbay, coughing and choking as he walked to his office. The Trill eyed him suspiciously before returning to Doctor Peterson.

She scanned the Chief Medical Officer as he sat in his chair. "Doctor Lucas is ill and so are you, sir. Your symptoms are not the same, but you both have the virus that has infected the gel packs." Ryla prepared a hypo and administered a pain reliever to Casey. "This should take care of the pain.  The scan indicates you've been partaking of alcohol. Don't drink the brandy anymore... it will only make things worse doctor... you should know that." She favored him with a knowing smile before asking him to get into a biobed.

He started to protest but she fixed him with an iron expression, "Fine, but just until the pain goes away." He said with a smirk.

As Peterson laid back, they both heard a clanging in the back of Sickbay. "I'll check on it...you rest." Peterson's eyes were beginning to get heavy. What he didn't know was that Ryla had administered a long-lasting pain relieving sleep-aid.

Doctor Dret entered Lucas's small office to find him face down on the floor. Ryla immediately called out for a nurse and they carried him to another biobed. By the time his head hit the pillow... he was dead. Ryla Dret slowly closed her tricorder and cast a troubled glanced up at the nurse and then towards the unconscious Doctor Peterson... She had no idea how long the CMO had before he too succumbed to the virus.

"We should test ourselves, " she said in a nervous tone to the nurse.

Two scans later, and Ryla found them both to be virus free. "We need to inform the Captain, but the comm. system is down... I need you to find him... tell him that we may have a larger situation on our hands."
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Duffster

Tain made his way towards Sgt Mike Tarents quarters. Normally that would be an easy thing, but with the lights flashing on and off, and the ship shuddering, it proved to be difficult. Tain rang the chime, but there was no answer. He knew Tarent was in there, as he he had called off his shift complaining of not feeling well. Tain banged on the door.

"Mike... you in there?", yelled Tain.

After no answer he used his security code to bypass the lock. He walked in the room and was met with the sight of Sgt. Mike Tarent lying awkwardly on the floor. Tain ran over to his fallen friend.

"Mike!!! Come on Mike, get up!", said Tain as his mind raced. Tain saw right away there was something horribly wrong. He check his friends pulse, and pulled his hand away in surprise. The cold that Tain felt from his hand shot directly to his heart. The only person left in the galaxy that Tain considered family lie dead on the floor in front of him.

Tain almost broke his comm badge with the vicousness of his strike.

"Sickbay!!! This is a medical emergency! Send an emergency med team to this location immediately!!"

Tain could barely hear the acknowledgement over the roar that was building in his head. He knew what it was, as he'd dealt with it since he was a child. Overwhelming, uncontrollable rage. He fought it as best he could while waiting for the medical team.

He looked down at he dead friend and something happened that Tain hadn't experienced since he was a child. Tain had actually begun to think that it was physically impossible for him. It had never happened during all the death and carnage he had experienced in all his years in the Fleet. Not once while viewing the atrocities that supposedly advanced species inflicted on each other.

As he looked down at his friend, one single tear rolled down Cedric Tains face.
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Geekyfanboy

Quinn was heading toward the turbolift when he pressed his comm badge. "Quinn to Sevryll... Captain Quinn to Commander Sevryll" Nothing happened.

He entered the turbolift and said "Bridge" The computer doubled chirped but the doors did not close. Quinn said once again "Bridge" but still nothing happened.

Quinn exited the turbolift and thought to himself "This is going to be a long day". Just then Nurse Galloway approached him out of breath. "Sir, Doctor Lucas is dead, Doctor Peterson is very ill and Doctor Dret needs to see you immediately." Quinn stared at the panicked nurse then began to run down the corridor towards sickbay.

As he was running his comm badge chirped "K'arath to Captain Quinn", Quinn slowed to a fast walk and pressed his comm badge. "Go for Quinn", "Sir we have bypassed the infected gel packs and currently have communications back up. We are still working on the other issues, we should have them up and running in now time.." Quinn began to run again "Thank you Commander please keep me informed of your progress."

Quinn turned the corner and entered Sickbay, there were 20 to 25 people in there, some lying on biobeds and some sitting on the floor. Quinn approached Doctor Dret. "Report Doctor"

Bryancd

"Acknowledged!" K'arath replied to the Captain who had already shut off his combadge. He looked around Main Engineering which resembled in many ways the circulatory system of a very large animal. The rerouting of primary systems had resulted in gel pack connections which stretched across the floor, hung above their head, even wound their way around the warp core. Although effective temporarily in restoring main systems, the chaos of the fix rubbed him the wrong way. Emergency teams had been sent to the effected section to initiate more permanent on site repairs. The situation remained tenuous and he hoped Sickbay could come up with a cure for what was ailing his ship.

Jen

joint post by Jen and Startrekfanitic5
---

"Report Doctor," said Quinn as the doors to Sickbay closed behind him.
Ryla presented the Captain with a grim expression and gestured to the patients. "Everyone of these individuals has been infected with the virus that contaminated the bio gel packs. With the exception of two, the majority of the victims are telepaths...twenty in all. Two of those individuals are human, and both are dead; possibly due to protracted exposure to the virus or weakened immune systems." She walked to biobed to monitor a new patient. Quinn watched her step away, and followed her a second later. 

Ryla brushed the hair from an unconscious man's face as she continued, "because of larger number of telepathic patients, I believe the pathogenesis began in one of them. It's too soon to know for sure, but I believe the initial route of entry for this virus, was through telepathic contact. It's just a guess, but it's possible the virus spread through a ship-wide mental probe, which infected the remaining telepaths as well as the bio packs. This virus is replicating and mutating at an alarming rate, and I believe it has now become airborne and is quickly spreading among non-telepaths. Sir, It won't be long before this 'situation' will become a full-blown epidemic."

A thought suddenly struck the Trill: Quinn was a telepath too. She lifted her tricorder and examined him. The medical device whirred as she passed it over the captain. She bit her lower lip and lifted her gaze from the device to meet his green eyes, "sir... you're infected as well."

Quinn looked into Ryla's eyes. "Yes I know I have been infected, my telepathic abilities have been dropping in and out the past few hours. But other then that I feel fine."

Doctor Dret looked frayed as she stated wistfully, "my specialization is Obstetritics, not Infectious Disease... I don't know if I can cure you or anyone else, Captain."

Quinn smiled down at Ryla," I only choose the best people for my ship... I have faith in you Lieutenant." He narrowed his eyes in thought then raised his brows as the answer came to mind,"I might be able to get you some assistance." Quinn pressed his comm badge "Captain Quinn to Aria James", a soft voice could be heard over the comm sounding a bit confused.

Aria replied,"this is Aria, Captain".

"We are in  need your assistance in sickbay Miss James, please come immediately and see Doctor Dret... Quinn out."

Quinn turned to Ryla, "Aria is a special crewmember and should be of some assistance to you. Please keep me informed of your progress.. I must find my first officer." With that Quinn turned and exited sickbay.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Duffster

Join Post by Duffster and Bryancd

Tain barely made it to the holodeck. The noise in his head was deafening. He could barely think long enough to punch in a security override on the controls, and utter the command to begin holo program Tain-alpha-2. The program was one he came up with, along with Mike Tarent, to help him through bouts like the one he was experiencing. Not only was it an incredibly gruesome program, it lowered the safety lockouts to their minnimum. You wouldn't die if you made a mistake in the sim, but you might feel like you want to afterwards.

The holodeck changed to show an arena floor.

"Level and audience preference?", asked the computer pleasantly.

Tain was barely able to speak.

"Level 10, no audience", whispered Tain.

"Sir, the danger constraints of this program allow a level of no more then 8"

"Belay that lockout, override code Tarent-beta-omega, immediately!!", bellowed Tain.

"Override complete, Level 10".

Tain took a deep breath and advanced towards the figures in the arena, his face had the look of death itself.

Ensign Dunn had just finished his first on ship assignment, assisting in the rescue of the crew stranded behind containment fields after the ship malfunction. Exciting stuff, he mused. As he walked back towards his quarters his combadge chirped to life.

"Lt. Manrique to Ensign Dunn."

"Dunn here, sir, " he responded to the Security Chief
"There has been a report of a disturbance in Holodeck 2, go check it out."

"Aye, sir," he sighed. Security detail was beginning to more closely resemble camp councilor.

He turned and walked the short distance towards Holodeck 2. As he came around the corner, he heard what sounded like an epic battle going on behind the door. A few crewmembers were milling about listening. Dunn stepped up and keyed in his security override code to open the locked door. Hopefully he wouldn't be walking in on some Klingon exercise program run amok. He stepped through the door and froze. Before him was the largest Orion he had ever seen, covered in green blood, and with a rage in his eye's that chilled him to the core. He almost forgot to breathe.

Through the haze of his rage Tain saw the doors of the holodeck open and a young ensign step in. Tain had just ordered the program to restart it's cycle again. He was bruised, battered and bleeding, but the roar in his head  had not yet subsided. As the computer phased in the next opponents, Tains brain awoke from the hold that the rage had upon it, and he saw the danger.

"Ensign!!! Get that door closed now!!! The safety features on this sim have been overridden!", Tain roared.

The Draman soldier that the holodeck had created saw Tains distraction and took advantage, he brought his energy whip around and landed a viscous lash across the Lieutenants back. Already tired, Tain sunk to one knee in pain and let out a roar of pain

Acting quickly Dunn slammed the controls of the holodeck to close the doors, and ran towards the Draman.

"Freeze program!!", yelled Dunn.

"Override program in effect, passcode required", reported the computer.

Dunn leaped over the kneeling Lieutenant and landed a flying kick to the Dramans face. The menacing soldier dropped in a heap. Dunn noticed the holodeck program phase two more creatures into the arena.

"Lieutenant!", yelled Dunn at the Orion. "Whats the passcode, you're hurt and I need to stop this program?"

Tain heard the young ensigns through the haze of pain he was experiencing. He looked up to see the opponents anvancing on the Ensign. To his credit the young man looked ready to take them on, although he had a worried expression on his face.

"Freeze program, passcode Delta-Orion-Mike", croaked Cedric Tain through his bloody lips. Cedric rose unsteadily to his feet and stop swaying.

With a voice that sounded like two pieces of rusted iron grating together Tain addressed the ensign.

"Just who the heck do you think you are ensign!! What gives you the right to open that door."

Tain glared at the Ensign, who quickly came to attention.

"Sir, my name is Ensign Dunn, and the reason is that I was ordered by Lt. Manrique to investigate the disturbance from in this holodeck. Since there have been multiple ship malfuctions and multiple members of the crew in sickbay, I thought it prudent to override the security code and do my job, Sir!"

Tain looked over the Ensign standing ramrod straight. As the words Dunn spoke sank into his brain he felt the rage start to fade away. He felt sickened by his weakness. Here the ship was in danger, and he was in the holodeck. He still felt the sting of his friends death, as an almost physical pain, but he knew he was past the worst. All that was left now was the task of dealing the with loss. He knew work was the best cure for that.

"Well Ensign, I guess you do have the right, now don'cha. It looks as though I might be needed out there, so we should probably head out of here."

Tain took a step and almost fell.

"Umm.. I think I might need a bit of help Dunn. I think our first stop needs to be sickbay"

Dunn steppover to the big Orion and steadied him by taking the mans arm across his shoulder to provide support.

As the headed out the door Tain looked down at the Ensign.

"Now don't you be thinking this means were gonna be dating or nuthin like that!"

The look on Dunns face almost made Tain laugh
www.thehugonaut.com

X

Joint post by Just X, Moyer777, Jen, and Kinglinksr

The counselor bent down and greeted the children.  "Hey there my little zoo keepers"

The children giggled.

"I have a little job for you if you choose to accept it."  he mused.

The children were fascinated with whatever Margon was saying since all attention was on them.

"I need you to catsit Mr. Mouse.  Do you think you would watch him for me while I help some others on the ship?"

Margon looked at Sevryll and she nodded in agreement.

"Yes," said N'vall. "He won't bite us will he?"

"No", said the Bolian, "he isn't afraid anymore.  I've calmed him down."

The children took the cat and began to play.

"Don't let him go now, keep him with you."  Margon turned his attention to the Lt and Commander.

Aeric sighed in relief as the systems began to recover from the disruption, but he knew that it wouldn't last. Something was tragically wrong with ship and simple patches were not going to keep the ship running forever. They would need to put things on track.

"Aurora to Aeric," a throaty female voice came from his com badge.

"Aeric  here." He said as he smiled at the restoration of communications. "It seems that we are experiencing a few problems. What's the status with the ship?"

"All systems are functions within specifications, but I have noticed a lot of systems problems aboard the Tiberius." Aurora said as the lieutenant looked to the others with relief in his eyes. "I am adapting the communications systems here to serve as a router for your future communications. I also believe that you should check the primary quantum reactor, I'm detecting a few problems with the power containment field."

"Thank you, Aeric out." He said then turned his attention to the others. "I don't think that this was an isolated event. Mentally, I'm getting serious feedback from any attempts to contact the systems and that's never good. Sevry-, I'm sorry, commander, would you like to assist me in stabilizing the reactor before containment fails and we explode?"

Aeric didn't mind the company of the councilor and tolerated the presence of the ensign, but he needed someone that he could trust to work with him at the levels required for success. There were still people to the infirmary, but he knew that he and the commander could put their skills better use elsewhere.

Margon looked at Starstriker, "You want to assist me ensign?  Let the scientists do their magic, you and I, we can go help some folks who need some TLC." 

Isaac nodded his head in agreement.  "Sure, lead the way Margon."

Sevryll glanced at her children and then up at the Lieutenant as the other officers moved out of site. The commander needed Dennis to watch M'rynn and N'vall while she worked, but she couldn't trust the ship's systems to keep his program activated. The hologram her husband programmed was an unauthorized Section 31 guard dog of sorts. If she told Aeric about Dennis, the Captain would be the next to learn of him and that could be problematic to say the least. She could feel apprehension welling up inside of her, which in turn caused her blood pressure to rise and her head to throb. She closed her eyes to will away the pain, and carefully informed Aeric of her unique quandary.

Aeric nodded slowly and spoke quietly to the commander. "I don't think that having a custom hologram is illegal, so I don't see a problem. I do have something that Aurora, Aria, and I are working on, but they still need some adjustments. If Aurora can upload the data from Laika, she can get the orbs operational in the hour."

With another tap of his com badge, Lt. James gave his holographic assistant detailed instruction on her next assignment. They were needed in the reactor room, but it wasn't safe there for the children. Aurora was instructed to transport the children and Laika back to the ship. Though not specifically instructed, Aurora would also include the feline in those she would be transporting to the ship. From there she could install the final algorithms and personally deliver the second orb and the children to their babysitter.

wraith1701

After leaving five-forward, K'Tan broke into a slow jog towards the nearest turbolift.  As his bootsteps echoed softly through the deserted corridor, his mind swam with questions.  What, exactly, was going on? 

Despite his earlier words of encouragement in five forward, he couldn't squash a growing sense of worry.  With the multiple redundancies built into even the simplest of modern starfleet craft, there shouldn't be any issues with lighting , communication, or inertial dampers.  Something had to be seriously wrong for three unrelated ship's systems to be affected almost simultaneously.  He thought back on the quirky replicator in his quarters. 

Make that four systems, he amended.

K'Tan still had almost 48 hours of down time before his next shift was scheduled to begin, but he couldn't suppress an urgent need to do something. 

K'Tan's attention was diverted by a slight commotion coming from around the bend in the corridor ahead.  He quickened his pace, and came upon a cluster of people grouped near the entrance of one of the ship's holodecks.  A group of uniformed onlookers were watching as an enormous, gore-slicked Orion man wearing a tattered and bloody uniform was led from the room.  He limped slightly, leaning on the shoulder of another security officer. 

That must be Lt. Tain, K'Tan thought, remembering stories of the hulking security officer's battle prowess.  He must have been working off some steam in the holodeck.  K'Tan quickly took in Tain's battered, disheveled appearance.  Man; that must have been a hell of a program, he thought.

As the two officers slowly made their way down the corridor, K'Tan stepped into their path, and squared his shoulders. Despite Tain's hunched posture, K'Tan still had to look up to meet the man's eyes. 

"Excuse me, Lieutenant.  My name is Lt. K'Tan; I was transferred here a few weeks ago.  Currently, I man the ships Tactical Console during beta shift, but I can serve as relief security as well."

The green-skinned behemoth eyed K'Tan silently; he appeared to have quite a bit on his mind.  In addition to the battle-rage that K'Tan had often seen burning in the eyes of his Klingon comrades back home, there seemed to be traces of grief clouding the man's fierce stare.  K'Tan got the impression that he was somehow intruding on a private moment. 

After softly clearing his throat, He continued.  "I couldn't help but notice that the Tiberius seems to be experiencing some technical difficulties.  I have some free time before my next shift begins; do  you think Chief Manrique could use a hand?"

Duffster

Tain looked at the human that had just stepped in front of him.  He shook his head in surprise at the K'Tans eagerness.

"Well Lt., as you can see I need to make a quick little visit to the sickbay. After that I will be heading down to security to try and get an overview of what's going on."

Tain took a deep shuddering breathe and straightened up. He removed his arm from around Ensign Dunns shoulder.

"I think that's enough lolligagging around for me, I can make it on my own from here Ensign. You can report to Manrique that the disturbance is taken care of, and it won't be recurring. "

Tain walked to the Turbolift, as he did he looked back over his shoulder.

"Lieutenant K'Tan, I am sure we can use your help. If you want you can accompany be to sickbay, and we can talk about how we can use your abilites, and how we can make use of you before we see Manrique. We can also try make a quick assessment of the situation down there. Otherwise you can accompany Ensign Dunn back to security and talk with Manrique immediately."

Tain entered the Turbolift.

"Ensign Dunn, thanks for your help. Lt...Does it look like I have all day??", said Tain with a grin.
www.thehugonaut.com