• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Vote for the next book

Started by Duffster, December 20, 2007, 06:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the next book be for the Treks in Sci-Fi book Club

Taking Wing  by Michael A. Martin and Andy Mangels
4 (40%)
Collision Course  by William Shatner, Judith Reeves-Stevens, and Garfield Reeves-Stevens
3 (30%)
The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress  by Robert A. Heinlein
3 (30%)
The Forever War by Jack Haldeman
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Duffster

IF anyone has an idea for a Star Wars book, let me know and I will throw it on the poll.

The plan is to get the book decided in the next week and start reading the first week of January.

Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

jedijeff

I am not familar with any of those books, so whatever the majority decide is fine by me. Fell a bit behind on the Deathstar book, so hopefully I can get to the end by Christmas.

Rico

Geekyfanboy

Is it possible for you to give brief description of each book?

billybob476

I agree, the only one I am even passingly familiar with is the Heinlien book. Actually if people haven't read Starship Troopers already, I'd add that it's an amazing book and is NOTHING like the movie.

Also it's 6 bucks on amazon.

Rico

Well the Trek books I know.  The "Taking Wing" book is the first in the Titan series with Riker as Captain.  The "Collision Course" book by Shatner is his version of Kirk in his early days at the Academy (my vote - cough, cough).  The other two are SF classics.  I'll let Duffster chime in on those.

Duffster

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is  the story of how the Lunar Colony revolts and breaks away from the Earth to form its own Society. Lots of interesting political points ( you can expect no less from Heinlein) and one of my favorite Heinlein books.

Forever War is a fantastic military Sci-Fi book that deals with issues of War, the effects of long space journeys on the soldiers ( everyone has aged terrifically when they return to home), and also has it share of politics. It's a book in the lines of Starship Troupers, another excellent read.

I don't want to say too much more about them, other then the fact they are on most peoples list of Best Science Fiction Books.

Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Ktrek

Let me just say that I collect almost every Star Trek related book in print as they are released and I'm in the middle of Collision Course. If you want an interesting discussion but not a very satisfying read then vote for Collision Course. It's the first time I have ever wanted to literally throw a Star Trek book into the trash can. I can honestly say I hate this book and I don't know if I can finish it or not.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

billybob476

Well I've had good experiences with Heinlein in the past so my vote is for him.

Rico

Quote from: Ktrek on December 20, 2007, 08:11:23 AM
Let me just say that I collect almost every Star Trek related book in print as they are released and I'm in the middle of Collision Course. If you want an interesting discussion but not a very satisfying read then vote for Collision Course. It's the first time I have ever wanted to literally throw a Star Trek book into the trash can. I can honestly say I hate this book and I don't know if I can finish it or not.

Kevin

Still going to read it myself, but I don't think this thread is to review the choices.

Jen

When I finished Death Star I stared on a Star Trek novel called Sand And Stars about Spock and his father's efforts in Reunification. I figured it would be good source material for the RPG. But the Titan book sounds interesting. I've been curious about that series.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

wraith1701

Voted for Taking Wing.  I actually almost picked it up at Borders a few hours ago!

Jen, this book might provide some good ideas for the RPG as well.  I think it deals with Riker trying to negotiate talks between opposing factions on Romulus.  It seems that after the events of Nemisis, a power vacuum is left in the Romulan Empire, and conflict between opposing factions threatens to damage the stability of the Quadrant.

I never was a big Riker fan, but I'm seriously considering following this series.

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on December 20, 2007, 10:11:49 AM

Kevin

Still going to read it myself, but I don't think this thread is to review the choices.

Sorry Rico! I didn't know it was against the rules to VOICE an opinion! Feel free to read the book. I only expressed my experience about it. I hope you enjoy it, and if you don't...well, then don't say I didn't warn ya!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

PepperDude

I had a hard time choosing but I finally voted.

Rico

Quote from: Ktrek on December 20, 2007, 07:30:03 PM
Quote from: Rico on December 20, 2007, 10:11:49 AM

Kevin

Sorry Rico! I didn't know it was against the rules to VOICE an opinion! Feel free to read the book. I only expressed my experience about it. I hope you enjoy it, and if you don't...well, then don't say I didn't warn ya!

Kevin

I didn't say it was against the rules did I?  All I was saying is this isn't thread for book reviews.  I've read two of the choices already but am not sharing in this thread what I thought of them.  Feel free to create other threads in the Book section to review books if you want.