The Hobbit

Started by Geekyfanboy, December 18, 2007, 08:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS... I'M VERY EXCITED!!!!!!  :taz

PETER JACKSON AND NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM TO PRODUCE "THE HOBBIT"

December 18th, 2007 by xoanon | Discuss

December 18, 2007

ACADEMY AWARD-WINNER PETER JACKSON AND NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM TO PRODUCE "THE HOBBIT," EAGERLY-ANTICIPATED FANTASY ADVENTURE EPIC

NEW LINE AND MGM TO CO-PRODUCE AND SHARE WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTION RIGHTS

PETER JACKSON AND FRAN WALSH TO EXECUTIVE PRODUCE TWO FILMS BASED ON "THE HOBBIT"

Los Angeles, CA (Tuesday, December 18, 2007) Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson; Harry Sloan, Chairman and CEO, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM); Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs of New Line Cinema have jointly announced today that they have entered into the following series of agreements:

* MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, "The Hobbit" and a sequel to "The Hobbit." New Line will distribute in North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

* Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on "The Hobbit." New Line will manage the production of the films, which will be shot simultaneously.

* Peter Jackson and New Line have settled all litigation relating to the "Lord of the Rings" (LOTR) Trilogy.

Said Peter Jackson, "I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line. 'The Lord of the Rings' is a legacy we proudly share with Bob and Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal fans all over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth. I also want to thank Harry Sloan and our new friends at MGM for helping us find the common ground necessary to continue that journey."

"Peter Jackson has proven himself as the filmmaker who can bring the extraordinary imagination of Tolkien to life and we full heartedly agree with the fans worldwide who know he should be making 'The Hobbit,'" said Sloan, MGM's Chairman and CEO. "Now that we are all in agreement on 'The Hobbit,' we can focus on assembling the production team that will capture this phenomenal tale on film."

Bob Shaye, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO comments, "We are very pleased we have been able to resolve our differences, and that Peter and Fran will be actively and creatively involved with 'The Hobbit' movies. We know they will bring the same passion, care and talent to these films that they so ably accomplished with 'The Lord of the Rings' Trilogy."

"Peter is a visionary filmmaker, and he broke new ground with 'The Lord of the Rings,'" notes Michael Lynne, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO. "We're delighted he's back for 'The Hobbit' films and that the Tolkien saga will continue with his imprint. We greatly appreciate the efforts of Harry Sloan, who has been instrumental in helping us reach our new accord."

The two "Hobbit" films – "The Hobbit" and its sequel – are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, with pre-production beginning as soon as possible. Principal photography is tentatively set for a 2009 start, with the intention of "The Hobbit" release slated for 2010 and its sequel the following year, in 2011.

The Oscar-winning, critically-acclaimed LOTR Trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box-office. In 2003, "Return of the King" swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the eleven categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The Trilogy's production was also unprecedented at the time.

For more information about "The Hobbit" films, please visit www.TheHobbitBlog.com.

Bryancd

AWESOME!!!! I wonder if it is going to be 2 films covering the Hobbit as I am unaware of any sequel.

Geekyfanboy

yes it's going to be two films covering the Hobbit. PJ has always said this book needed to be two films.

Bryancd

Question is does Ian Holm reprise his role as Bilbo?

Geekyfanboy

I would say no.. he's too old for the role. I know when they did the flashback in LOTR of Bilbo finding the ring they pulled his face back with tape to make him look younger.

KingIsaacLinksr

SWEEEEEET WOOOOOOT, I had always predicted that Peter would have his hand into the "real" version of the Hobbit and it came true!!  However, I have my doubts that Ian will do it.  Although to be honest, I think I would rather see a different hobbit.  Maybe thats just me.  Lets hope to a good movie.

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Geekyfanboy

We don't need to hope for a good movie.. PJ is behind it 100% it's going to be AWESOME!!!

Bryancd

I agree, Ian is a little long in the tooth.

Jen

Oh, this is GREAT news! I'm sooooo happy!
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Great, great news.  I'm not surprised at all.  New Line needs to refill it's bank account after some recent misses.  I never understood though why they think this needs to be two films?  The book is fairly short and they could certainly do it in one movie.  But PJ did great with LOTR so I trust him on this.

Geekyfanboy

Well you know PJ likes he battle scenes.. and there are a few good ones in The Hobbit, they can go on for quite a while. :)

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on December 18, 2007, 10:06:15 AM
Well you know PJ likes he battle scenes.. and there are a few good ones in The Hobbit, they can go one for quite a while. :)

lol too true.

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

I think the Hobbitt could easily be two more traditional legnth films as opposed to the 3x 3hour regular edition juggernauts of LOTR.

Geekyfanboy

I agree Bryan... a good solid 4 and a half to five hour story.

Not that I'm opposed to the 3 + hours of the LOTR movies.. I could have sat there forever watching those beautiful movies.

Bryancd

Indeed, I even prefer the extended editions for what, almost 11 hours of LOTR goodness?!