• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Heroes (might contain slight spoilers)

Started by Geekyfanboy, March 03, 2006, 10:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

I do think they should of actually explained on the show why it was that Peter couldn't fly away on his own.  It's nice that in articles, online, etc. that producers & writers explain things but they shouldn't really have to if they have done their job well.  One other thing.  They said many times during the episodes that Claire was the only one that could get near Peter if he started to "blow."  But in the finale Nathan just swoops in, picks him up and flies away.  Kind of a slip up I would say.  Still really enjoyed the episode, but I think they broke some of the "rules" they had been setting up all along.

Geekyfanboy

I was never one for nitpicking episodes to death.. that's huge in the Star Trek world and it always bothered me. 

With a series like this there is a certain amount of suspension of disbelief (in case you don't know what this is. here is a definition... Suspension of disbelief refers to the alleged willingness of a reader or viewer to accept as true the premises of a work of fiction, even if they are fantastic, impossible, or contradictory. It also refers to the willingness of the audience to overlook the limitations of a medium, so that these do not interfere with the acceptance of those premises. According to the theory, suspension of disbelief is a quid pro quo: the audience agrees to provisionally suspend their judgment in exchange for the promise of entertainment.)

That last sentence is key here.. Heroes has been nothing but entertaining, I gladly suspend my judgment and the minor and I do mean minor flaws in some of the episodes.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on May 22, 2007, 10:01:53 AM
I do think they should of actually explained on the show why it was that Peter couldn't fly away on his own.  They said many times during the episodes that Claire was the only one that could get near Peter if he started to "blow."  But in the finale Nathan just swoops in, picks him up and flies away.  Kind of a slip up I would say.  Still really enjoyed the episode, but I think they broke some of the "rules" they had been setting up all along.

Who's to say they won't explain this in the second season... the story is far from over.

Bryancd

Although I agree in kind, Kenny, I do think the show is not beyond somne criticism. I really enjoy Heroes, but it's not perfect. I actually perfer it when folks enjoy a piece of entertainment and can also discuss it in a critical way. I don't think that's nitpicking and makes for a good discussion. I actully get more annoyed with effusive, gushing, unbriddled praise, there's always room for improvement. Besides, if we all just agreed we wouldn't be a community....we would be a cult! ;)

Locutus

Quote from: Rico on May 22, 2007, 10:01:53 AM
I do think they should of actually explained on the show why it was that Peter couldn't fly away on his own.  It's nice that in articles, online, etc. that producers & writers explain things but they shouldn't really have to if they have done their job well.  One other thing.  They said many times during the episodes that Claire was the only one that could get near Peter if he started to "blow."  But in the finale Nathan just swoops in, picks him up and flies away.  Kind of a slip up I would say.  Still really enjoyed the episode, but I think they broke some of the "rules" they had been setting up all along.

IMHO -- They might've mentioned this in an episode, but it got cut for time. A throw away line that they couldn't fit into the episode. I don't know, but it sounds like they had too much story to tell and were limited by the medium. I just figured he was so focussed on controlling the reaction, that he couldn't focus on anything else.

As far as Nathan flying him away; when Ted went nuclear, there were other people there, just Claire is the only one who could get close enough without dying, and I think that's what's important. Nathan sacrificed himself. Claire would not have, she would have been fine. Anyone could have gotten close to Peter until he really started going up, and that's when Nathan stepped in.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Bryancd on May 22, 2007, 10:25:30 AM
Although I agree in kind, Kenny, I do think the show is not beyond somne criticism. I really enjoy Heroes, but it's not perfect. I actually perfer it when folks enjoy a piece of entertainment and can also discuss it in a critical way. I don't think that's nitpicking and makes for a good discussion. I actully get more annoyed with effusive, gushing, unbriddled praise, there's always room for improvement. Besides, if we all just agreed we wouldn't be a community....we would be a cult! ;)

I agree with you 100% Bryan, I like discussing episodes or movies and sometime just take the opposite opinion just to get a little argument going.   :biggrin

Locutus

Quote from: Bryancd on May 22, 2007, 10:25:30 AM
Besides, if we all just agreed we wouldn't be a community....we would be a cult! ;)

What's wrong with being in a cult? Hail, Xenu!
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

markinro

I'm surprised it wasn't a 2 hour finale but maybe they will open the season with 2 hours.   All I have heard is the first 3 minutes of next year will be the last 3 minutes of the finale.   This is one of those times Hero's power would come in real handy.  I hate waiting.

Rico

Don't get me wrong Kenny - I enjoyed the episode and I'm trying to not nitpick.  Just wish a bit more was there to answer a few things.  I'm sure they will have more answers and even new questions next year.  It's just several months away.  In the meantime, we will just have some fun speculating a bit.  ;)

Geekyfanboy

I hear ya Rico and I wasn't complaining about you or anyone critiquing the show.  I was on the Heroes boards all last night and it's a love it or hate it episode. I just got tired of reading everyone's complaints (some very valid) and then I come here and more complaints and I snapped :wacko I guess it's easier for people to complain about something then say what they liked.  I wonder why that is.. I guess it's just human nature to complain.  :biggrin

Edit!!! I just realized how ironic this post is.. It's me complaining about complaining... okay I'll shut up now!!  :old_bash:

Rico

One thing I always try to do is just let others have their opinion.  Usually you won't be able to change it anyway.  I usually talk about these things because sometimes I think I might of missed some clue in an episode or past shows that would answer some of my questions and I'm hoping someone might of caught something.  I think we still all agree here it's definitely a very fun TV show.

Locutus

(OK, time for some sort of distraction to calm the nerves ...)

KEYS everyone! Look at the shiny keys!

markinro

Last time I remember this much talk/speculation like this was at the end of Matrix Reloaded.  So glad we have all these summer shows to pass the time and of course -- WoW.  :boxing

MrOsterman

Okay so some additional thoughts:

First, any TV show requires one major investment and it's in the most precious of resources:  Time.

If I watch the entire run of Heroes next season I'm looking at 24 hours of my life (if I watch with commercials) given up to this form of entertainment.  If at the end of those 24 hours I'm left feeling unsatisfied with the investment then I'm going to be ... annoyed.

Why would anyone stop watching a TV show becuase they didn't like the ending?  Simply put becuase they don't feel they got their "Time's" worth out of it.  It's like getting to the end of a novel and going "Eh? That's how it ends?".  Then your friend comes up and says "Oh!  You gotta read the next book in the series, it explains it all!"  Why?  You didn't like how this one ends.  Why make the investment.

Now we love the show and we'll watch it no matter what, but I understand people feeling that 1 hour a week is precious time.  For a teacher that's an hour of lesson planning (I don't do good planning while watching the tube), or for a parent that's a hour reading to their kid.  While 9-10 is probably after most kids are in bed... you get my drift.

I also have to agree with Rico on the "tell the full story; don't rely on the web/ interviews/ commentaries to do it for you".  I love commentaries and I find the Kiera Knightly one for Pirates I to be the funniest thing I've ever listened to.  But when people say "It doesn't make sense without the commentary" then I see that as a short coming on the part of the writers.

I think the story worked but I honestly didn't *believe* that Nathan was there to sacrfice himself.  I simply couldn't not suspend my disbelief because it felt out of character for him and we saw nothing shifting him to this new outlook on life and death.  I think it was a great plot twist but I would have prefered to have cut the scene with Charles and given us some time to see a conflicted Nathan.  Maybe we didn't see him tell his mother "no, I'm going after him" but at least put the seed in our mind.

*shrug*  To each their own, and as you said, opinions are opinions (I've been the dissenting voice around these parts before).

I'll give it another season but I'm not sure I'm going to be glued to my set next time like I was here.

Mr. O

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: MrOsterman on May 22, 2007, 02:03:30 PM

I think the story worked but I honestly didn't *believe* that Nathan was there to sacrifice himself.  I simply couldn't not suspend my disbelief because it felt out of character for him and we saw nothing shifting him to this new outlook on life and death.  I think it was a great plot twist but I would have preferred to have cut the scene with Charles and given us some time to see a conflicted Nathan.  Maybe we didn't see him tell his mother "no, I'm going after him" but at least put the seed in our mind.

Did you really not see the signs that there was a major fight going on in Nathan's head on what to do... it was clear as day for me, especially at the end when Claire, Mama Petrelli and Nathan were in his office and Claire gave her speech before jumping out of the window. You could see it in his eyes the struggle that was going on. That's one thing I love about Heroes.. the inner struggles most of the characters have. Nathan went from not so nice guy to being a good guy back to being a not so nice guy and finally scarficing himself to save the person he loved.  Nothing is every black and white in the Heroes world.. things are more of a shade of gray.