• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Vick gets 23 months!

Started by Rico, December 10, 2007, 08:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

This story made me sick from the start.  I don't like posting this type of stuff, but I needed to vent a little.  This punishment is not nearly severe enough. Sorry, but this guy needs to go away - for a very long time.

By LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

RICHMOND, Va. - Michael Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison Monday for his role in a dogfighting conspiracy that involved gambling and killing pit bulls.

U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson could have sentenced the suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback to up to five years. Vick pleaded guilty in August, admitting he bankrolled the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation and helped kill six to eight dogs.

iceman

They should do what he did to those POOR DOGS to him.

jedijeff

Sad story indeed. It amazes me that guys like this, with all their wealth and fame would even consider doing something like this, and risk losing it all like Michael Vick will. I am surprised that His Agent and handlers would even allow him to be involved in something like this. I know they cant be every where at one time, but I would have to think they would have at least had an idea of what was going on. Hopefully other Athletes and Celebreties will learn from this.

space_invader64

I just wanted him to get whatever he would get if he were not rich and famous.

I am totally against dog fighting, though I voted to keep cock fighting legal.

Jen

And yet Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan got a few hours? They could have killed people doing what they did...

I just hope he stays in for the entire 23 months...they could reduce it further if he shows up on time and signs a few autographs for the police. I agree Space Invader, I want to see him get what any average Joe or Jane would get.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Blackride

From my understanding 23 months is a lot for this, isn't it? People do worse to humans and get less time in jail. That makes me more mad than anything.

BTW max sentence is 5 years but that is never used supposedly.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Geekyfanboy

Yes.. 23 months is a long time.. I watch Animal Cops all the time and these people do horrible things to there animals and I think should receive the same treatment, but normally they can't do anything or just get a slap on the wrist and fine... it's pretty sickening.. So 23 months I think is good for the crime. And like Jen.. I hope he stays in all 23 months.

Rico

I'm not sure what typical sentences for this are.  For me at least that isn't the point or the issue.  This was intentional cruelty to animals.  I could never be a judge or a lawyer in this type of case (or many cases for that matter). 

Geekyfanboy

Yeah I'm with you Rico.. Animals are so defenseless. I have a hard time watching Animal Cops on Animal Planet. Humans can be very cruel at times.

space_invader64

I just wanted to clear up something I said.

I did vote no on a cock fighting ban but it was not for the reasons that most did. Never been to a cock fight never raised roosters.  Don't believe in animal cruelty. I think that we should have the fewest amount of laws that we can get along with.

At the core, I don't see a chicken as a form of life as high as a dog or a horse.  More like a minnow that people fish with.  I know I could be totally wrong about this, with my experence with chickens I couldn't make myself see it as a big deal.  If it had been a dog fighting ban, i would have voted yes!

At the end of the day, the roosters are euthanized and the cockfighters are put into an overcrowed jail at the taxpayers expense.  I think since so many people think it is necessary to ban it, it should be punishable by a fine.

But dogs, cats, horses, cattle and other animals should have a higher level of protection.  For the abuse of a dog for instance, the person should do jail time.

Dogs on the other hand are a whole diffrent ballgame.  Dogs bread and trained to kill other dogs are a danger to public safety.  Even if they weren't it strikes almost everyone as sick.  Those animals could have been someones pet.  And it is unnecessary torture of an animal of a higher form of life.

Just recently, Oklahoma City banned the tattooing if fish.  And I can't for the life of me understand why this activity I never knew existed would be the focus of our elected officials.  Pardon the pun but I would think we have bigger fish to fry!

Jen

I grew up on a farm and saw many rabbits, chickens and cows that I named and played with on occasion, end up on the diner table. That was hard to deal with. Yet, I am also a hunter and fisherman...I probably wouldn't be the best person in the world to speak to this issue because of that. I see where you're coming from Space Invader, and I agree that we don't need a billion little laws clogging up our system. But things like dog fighting and cock fighting need punishments that go beyond a slap on the wrist. It's perpetuating a greater problem and someone like Vic could simply pay the fine and keep on trucking with his  seedy little underground.

Cock fighting is still a horrible event. So chickens aren't as smart as dogs...it still shouldn't be going on.

I can't stand cruelty of any type, especially for the purpose of money.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Darth Gaos

VIck looked pitiful in his black and white striped suit.  I kinda felt bad for the guy....what a shame, he had it all and whizzed it right down his leg.  Make no mistake, I have no sympathy for him, he is getting what he deserves.   Hopefully other athletes and entertinment people will look at this and realize that their "entourage" or "posse" usually do not in any way have the stars best interests at heart but their own and most of them nothing but leeches anyway.

I have also read that federal inmates have to fulfill at least 80% of their sentence.  No to mention that the State of Virginia still gets a crack at him and may make him do any state sentences consectutively so he may remain behind bars for longer than most expect.  Not to mention if he is away for longer than 3 years, he can pretty much kiss any chance at a return to the NFL good-bye.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

space_invader64

I just posted that to explain so y'all didn't think I was an animal torturer!

Nah, I would only kill something if:

1.  I have plans to make it food.
2.  It's dangerous and could hurt a person of one of the pets.
3.  It's a pest.

Everything else I pretty much let be.  Especially snakes.  I don't know why people get so freaked out about nonpoisonous snakes.  Why?  In Oklahoma, the police were called to a residence because a rat snake was trying to get in the neighbor's birdhouse.  Rat snakes are not dangerous to humans. I used to have one as a pet. So the cops shot at the snake.  They weren't paying attention to what was behind their target.  (Major Gun Safty Violation) and there was a man fishing with his 5-year-old grandson.  The boy was shot and killed.  Very sad story.

On a side note, I think that schools should be doing more to teach gun saftey.  My high school had a gun club.  I think everyone walking needs to have a healthy working knowledge of gun saftey whether you are a gun owner or not.

I'm sorry I tend to ramble and get off topic.

space_invader64

Jen, I made friends with dinner a few times too.

Jen

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast