• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Attic of my Mind # 5

Started by Rico, November 28, 2007, 03:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Got show # 5 up for AOMM.  This one is about the "fun" of going out on 'Black Friday!"

http://www.atticofmymind.com/podcasts/Attic_of_my_Mind_5_Customer_Service.mp3

davekill

Good topic...

I'm with you on the poor service and high priced items at radio shack.
How can an overpriced electronics chain  store survive in a world of techno savvy geeks, Are there that many gullible "marks" left to keep their doors open.
In the old days I went to my local Radio shack for tech advice as much as their unique products. Back then I knew the guy behind the counter shurely only worked there because he or she was "at one" with the resistors and diodes, mics and science kits that where their inventory. A true Uber Geek!
Last time I was in, they tried to sell me a $110.00 HDMI cable and the guy had to read the box before he knew what it was.   :o Yikes!

If I knew you where looking for a IEEE 1394 6 to 4 pin interface cable or "computer to cam 'firewire'", I would gladly have given you one of mine - I don't know how they  accumulate.

KingIsaacLinksr

Sadly, I almost got gyped on a firewire cable for my external hard drive.  It cost me $31 to get it.  I didn't get it....  It was also from Staples. 

Great podcast.

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

KingIsaacLinksr

FYI, its because Radioshack is losing business that they are inflating prices.  To make up for losses.

King Linksr

KingIsaacLinksr

Last comment.  I loved your ending song.  I agree that lately customer service seems to be 2nd on the priority list.  Fred Meyer actually has it in their rules that you are to help out customers ONLY if you want to.  So obviously you don't get much help.  Walmart is the same way.  Only local businesses really give a care about their customers.  I know there are chains and such that will be nice and etc but the majority of the time....no. 

King Linksr

Rico

Glad you guys liked this one.  Yeah, it's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Stores loose business, raise prices and lay off workers and the customers continue to suffer for it - so they loose more business.  Like I said on the cast, I try to buy online when I can.

King - yeah that ending song is a favorite of mine.  Make sure to check the podcast notes over at www.atticofmymind.com for the details of all the songs I use on the show.  That song was used in the very cool movie "Donnie Darko."

Bryancd

Actually, the understaffing issue's are as much an effort by stores to keep overhead down as it is the current low level of unemployment. Service jobs are often hard to fill as people have more employment choices.

As far as "Mad World", I perfer the original Tears for Fears version. :)

Rico

"Low level of unemployment?"  Bryan what country do you live in?  At least in my state it's pretty bad.  Many people with no jobs, losing their homes, etc.  Think they would be happy to work - anywhere.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on November 29, 2007, 06:32:22 AM
"Low level of unemployment?"  Bryan what country do you live in?  At least in my state it's pretty bad.  Many people with no jobs, losing their homes, etc.  Think they would be happy to work - anywhere.

Easy there, chemical boy, now you are in my pond! ;)

That would be the Dept. of Labor latest US National Unemployement rate for October which is 4.7%. To put that into context here are the recent yearly averages for the US:
2002 5.8
2003 6.0
2004 5.5
2005 5.1
2006 4.6
So you can see that nationally unemployement is at a relatively low historic level. Regional levels will vary, certainly with the issues the automobile manufacturers have faced the last few years will mean a city like Detroit will have higher averages, but we all don't live in Detroit...thankfully. ;)

Rico

I am not in your pond.  But I do know about the area I'm in.  I live and shop here - in Michigan.  Below you will see what it is like here.  If you think people are not dying for work here and in much of the midwest you haven't been following the national news.

Bryancd

Yes, as I said the automotive industry, which you should know is the primary employer in Detroit, have been slashing worforces for the past 2 years, thus the rise in unemployment. Nationwide, the trend is different. My comment was just to contribute to your thread, not to argue with you.

Rico

I'm very well aware of the situation here.  And it is bad.  My podcast is based on what I see, local to me of course.  Obviously for others it could be different.  I'm happy if you have better luck in stores than I do.

Bryancd

Oh no, I find the same thing here as far as customer service and have walked out of a few resturants due to lack of service. I'm not shy about that either and we have a pool of inexpensive labor from south of the border doing a lot of manual labor jobs. All I am saying is that from a macro-economic standpoint, the understaffing of business is often attributable to a relatively low unemployment rate where these type of low paying jobs go wanting for bodies to fill them. Individual results and observations will vary .  :boxing

space_invader64

Studies show that Americans are willing to pay more if the customer services is better.  Netflix treats their customers really well and they are kicking the crap out of blockbuster, who really messes us around.

I think Wal-Mart could end up being the next AOL.  As in the giant that fell flat when they didn't take care of the customers.  Ah AOL, how the mighty have fallen.

Wal-Mart is abandoning they philosophies that made them the giant.  They act is if they don't care if you shop there or not.  I really think that people will get tired of them and shop elsewhere, pay more for people to take care of them than getting ignored by people who don't give a hoot.  Sam Walton taught his employees not to meet the expectations of the customer, but to exceed them.  More and more I leave Wal-Mart a very disopointed customer and ex-employee.  I personally dumped my stock because I worry that it will stop growing and start a decline.

KingIsaacLinksr

I agree Space-Invader.  I avoid Wal Mart at all times if possible.  I'll only go there if its an emergency.  (food or something)  But even that is rare.  Its sad how chains give up on their customers.  Online nowadays is better.  Heck, Ebay is better than shopping at Walmart or Fred Meyer. 

Its sad....

King Linksr