• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Review for Season one of Trek on HD-DVD

Started by Rico, November 19, 2007, 10:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Over at trekmovie.com they have a glowing review for Season one of the original Star Trek out this week on HD-DVD.  Can't wait until my set comes from Amazon!   :taz

Link to review:
http://trekmovie.com/2007/11/17/review-star-trek-the-original-series-season-one-hd-dvd-box-set/

Here's an HD image off these new discs (make sure to click the image to see it in full HD).  As Kor liked to say, "It's glorious!"

billybob476

Ugh, I really want this but I'm not sure I can justify the cost! Also I'd only be using the standard DVD side. But damn it looks nice!

X

I have been watching them via Xbox live in HD and I love them. I haven't seen the standard version of the enhanced and mine are only at 720p, but they are still fantastic.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on November 19, 2007, 10:52:47 AM
Ugh, I really want this but I'm not sure I can justify the cost! Also I'd only be using the standard DVD side. But damn it looks nice!

If you read the review they say the remastered versions look much better on even just DVD than the old DVD's out.  There's a comparison pic of that in the review article.

Ktrek

I have to disagree with the reviewer that the DVD remastered version looks better than the original. I think the remastered version looks like Kirk's face is too red. I have no doubt that the sfx look cleaner than the original DVDs as all the ship shots have a lot of grit and dirt but I am completely happy with how the original DVD live action scenes look. I guess I like watching the show as I saw it growing up. I'm not against the remastered version in any way as I am all for anything that will hook another generation into watching Star Trek and if new modern sfx will do it then go for it. Now if they were to tamper with the original Flash Gordon serials of the 1930s I might have a problem with that! I do think the cost of the season sets are a bit high though. Maybe in a year or two after they have sold out of their first run they will lower it within reason.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

I think you have to keep in mind the type of equipment people are viewing these shows on these days.  Any image that is blown up in size has to have a higher resolution or you loose focus.  I know I much prefer watching the enhanced remastered versions on my 60" TV vs. the old versions for those reasons.  Of course I still am fond of the old effects, but if I can only have an HD version with added new effects I'll take it.  And I'm sure the price will drop some.  Frankly on Amazon it's not that much more than I paid for the season sets of Trek the first time that cost $100 each.

Ktrek

I don't own the DVD box set and I imagine that set is likely a little more compressed than the two episode per disc set I currently own. It's for that reason I have not bought the box set even though I could use a little more space.

One gripe I would have about the HDDVD versions is that if HDDVD is supposed to have all this extra storage why in the world can't they include the original version as well? That way if you want to watch the original you have it all in one set rather than having to have a couple of sets on your shelf.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

I own both the 2 episode per DVD discs and the season sets, and now I will own these HD-DVD's (yeah I have a disease - it called Trekkitis!  LOL).  They improved the compression schemes some so the second release is really not that bad.

As far as storage on the disc it isn't as much as you might think.  It takes roughly 7-8 gig per episode for HD.  The discs will probably have about 4 episodes per disc.  That fills them.  Now, they could of put the original on side 2 of the discs but they decided to put a DVD version of the remastered episodes instead.  Probably figuring most people that wanted the originals had them already (like us).  This also will probably get more people to buy them that don't have an HD-DVD player yet.

wso32

Oh yeah, this will be one of the first DVD sets I buy when I get back to the US.  Nice article. Thanks for posting.

Blackride

I have to go buy a HD-DVD player for BSG and this. They dropped in price fast so I will go buy one. Since Paramount wont be doing Blu-Ray I will be forced to do so.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

jedijeff

I saw the set at Bestbuy the other day, and actually the price was not as high as I was expecting, and not much more then I paid for the Original Series when it originally came out. I gave my wife the head nod at if for possible Christmas gift ;) . The HD DVD players are not really that expensive either and looks like I can get one for under 300 dollars, which is not to bad. My only problem is that HD DVD players seem in short supply, so might be something I pickup after Christmas.

Blackride

Quote from: jedijeff on November 25, 2007, 06:39:41 AM
I saw the set at Bestbuy the other day, and actually the price was not as high as I was expecting, and not much more then I paid for the Original Series when it originally came out. I gave my wife the head nod at if for possible Christmas gift ;) . The HD DVD players are not really that expensive either and looks like I can get one for under 300 dollars, which is not to bad. My only problem is that HD DVD players seem in short supply, so might be something I pickup after Christmas.

You can get them under $200.00. There are lots of rumors they are going to lower them under $150.oo also.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

jedijeff

Cool, good to know, so far the cheapest I had seen one was 250, so I will keep my eyes open after christmas for the under 200 ones.

Blackride