• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

What is this show written by Trek writers???

Started by saunders, November 11, 2007, 11:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saunders

A little quiz....without looking up the answer, what TV show had episodes written by TOS, TAS, and other sci-fi authors including:

David Gerrold ("The Trouble With Tribbles", "I Mudd", etc)
Margaret Armen ("The Paradise Syndrome", "The Gamesters of Triskelion")
Larry Niven ("The Slaver Weapon")
Norman Spinrad ("The Doomsday Machine")
Walter Koenig ("The Infinite Vulcan"...and played some guy on TOS  :laugh:)
Wina Sturgeon (Wife of Theodore Sturgeon)
Ben Bova (famous Sci Fi Author)
D.C. Fontana ("This Side of Paradise", "Journey to Babel", etc)
Theodore Sturgeon ("Shore Leave", "Amok Time")
Donald F Glut (novelization of "The Empire Strikes Back")
Harlan Ellison ("City on the Edge of Forver") Harlan didn't actually write an episode but almost did.  He was asked to do it and wrote an outline.

Rico

davekill

Is this a current series or an old favorite like "M.A.S.H."?

...is it M.A.S.H.?

saunders

It's an older show...not MASH...I'll give answer tomorrow if nobody gets it.

davekill

That's a tough one, there where so many really good old TV series.
Last guess - Wild, Wild West?

saunders

No Wild Wild West.  David Gerrold was story editor.  David brought in his Trek buddies to help write the episodes.   Although David didn't officially create the concept of the show, I think most of the ideas were his.  It is in the scifi/fantasy genre (although not a space show).  It ran for 3 season.  David was only involved in the first.  My guess would be anyone who grew up in the 70's has heard of this show and would remember it's theme song well.  It ran on Sat and had 3 main characters.

Rico

Dang - I should know this.  The kicker is Harlan Ellison.  He is pretty picky about what he works on.  Harlan worked on a Sat, morning show? 

Oh - I think I got it!  How about "Land of the Lost?"

saunders

Yes it is "Land of the Lost".  I loved the show as a kid and had picked up a couple of episodes to watch with my son.  He's 7 and loves it.  I was shocked when I recognized who had written almost every episode.   I did some internet research and found out about David Gerrold's involvement and how he had brought in the other guys.  Pretty interesting...I'm not sure there's another show out there that has so many TOS/TAS writers.

Rico

I really should of gotten the answer sooner.  I watched that show every week with my brother growing up.

saunders

Here's a good interview with David where he talks about his and the other Trek writer's involvement with the show (including the almost Harlan).
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Land-Lost/1979

Rico

Interesting interview.  And the new movie "The Martian Child" is based on his book.

moyer777

Land of the Lost...

sleestacks, Chaka, Dopey,wow, that was a show!

I liked the cool Pylons.  My fave episode was the one where they followed the journal of the guy who they thought got out of the land of the lost.  When I was a kid it was SCARY! 

Pretty cool stuff.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com