What magazines do you read?

Started by Rico, November 01, 2007, 04:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

With the information the Internet provides, I think people in general don't read as many magazines.  I guess I'm a bit old fashioned but I like something solid in my hands to read with some nice pictures in it sometimes that you get in a nice magazine.  Here's what I read:

Starlog, Entertainment Weekly, PC Gamer, Star Wars Insider, Star Trek - Magazine, PC Magazine, Maximum PC, Wizard, Toyfare, Sci-Fi Channel Mag.  and a few others on occasion.

What mags do you read?

Geekyfanboy

I pick these ones up once in a while.. Starlog, Toyfare, Action Figure Times, Star Wars Insider, Star Trek, Lost, Doctor Who, Premiere and pretty much any sci fi TV movie mag.  I have a subscription to TV Guide, Entertainment Weekly and Post.

Bryancd

Triathlete Magazine, Inside Triathlon, USAT Traithlon, National Geographic Adventure Magazine, National Geographic Travel, Running, Star Wars Insider, Star Trek Magazine.

wraith1701

I buy the typical geeky stuff-

Star Trek magazine, Toyfare, Sci Fi channel's magazine, Star Wars Insider, Fine Scale Modeler and Hobby Japan (which is more of a "mook" than a magazine, I guess).  I used to buy Wizard, but the format changed around a year ago and it is now quite lame. 

PepperDude

Most of the mags I read are kinda' geeky: Leatherneck, PC Gamer, GameInformer, Asimov's Science Fiction, Discover, Scientific American, Overdrive Magazine

Ktrek

I don't read many magazines anymore but I do collect and read:

Star Trek - The Titan publication - Whatever Star Trek mag is in print I buy. I have em all going back to number 48 of Star Trek Fan Club.

Stargate - The Titan publication - I wish someone else would do both this and Star Trek but they are the only official mags for now.

Films of the Golden Age - Quarterly mag about classic films. What can I say? I love em!

Jazz Times - The only music mag I subscribe to but I'm dropping it after they tried to screw me out of several issues.

I wish there were some better genre magazines but most of them are pretty lame and not worth the money. I would also love to see a magazine devoted to animation. One that covers classic and modern. So far haven't seen anything. I also would love to see a magazine that covers classic TV. I'd buy a subscription immediately!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

wraith1701

Quote from: Ktrek on November 01, 2007, 09:10:37 PM
I would also love to see a magazine devoted to animation. One that covers classic and modern.
Kevin

There are a few out there; ranging in quality from great to "meh".
A new magazine called Otaku USA is pretty decent, the content is written by a mix of both old and new-school Japanese animation fans, with interviews with some of the creators in Japan.  Newtype Japan is alright, but most of the content is of no interest to me. There are also several magazines that focus on animation produced in the U.S., like Animation Magazine.   

billybob476

Get was getting Information Week from a free subscription off of diggnation. I read it for a bit and then kinda stopped. How is Star Wars Insider? I've always wanted to start a subscription but I keep hearing how it isn't that good.

The IC

Wired, National Geographic, and Entertainment Weekly

Akitu

GameInformer, Official Xbox Magazine, Economist, Newtype, Animerica (when it existed - I still have three years of back issues in a box), Wired, Star Wars Insider, and Star Trek magazine.

I used to subscribe to a really well done Star Trek magazine that stop publishing a couple of years ago. I can't, for the life of me, remember its name. I still have a bunch sitting around as collectibles.

davekill

What a good question, I'm surprised at the number of mags I buy considering the time I spend online.

Subscribe to:
Wired ( I love Wired magazine!)
Mac Life, formerly "Mac addict", formerly "CD Rom today"
Photoshop User
Illustrator Techniques
Layers
Video Maker

I'll randomly buy :
Air & Space
Combat Aircraft
PC Magazine
Astronomy
Sky and Telescope
Star Trek - Magazine

Really missed - out of print:
Before and After (how to design cool stuff)
Mac Addict - in the late 90's when Cheryl England was the "editor in chief"
(more of a podcast than magazine - heavy reader participation. Wacky staff videos and reviews on included CD Rom!)
Total Movie (DVD of movie previews included)
I tried the British version "Total Film" but it was just not the same.

Oh yeah - I bought every issue of "Star Trek The Magazine" from '99 to May '03 on eBay.
I'm slowly working my way through them - a really great mag!

Boothanew

I like star trek magazine :D i collect them
You should look at my full list before judging my musical taste...i'm quite eclectic.

Jen

I buy these:
PRINT
HOW
Women's Health
Fitness
Archaeology

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast