Inheritance... now a four book series

Started by Geekyfanboy, October 30, 2007, 12:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

I love the first two books so I think this is great news..

`Inheritance' series will now be 4 books

NEW YORK - Christopher Paolini's million-selling "Inheritance" fantasy series, originally planned as a trilogy, is being extended to four books, publisher Alfred A. Knopf announced Tuesday.

The first two books, "Eragon" and "Eldest," have sold more than 12 million copies worldwide. The third book, currently untitled, will come out next fall.

"I plotted out the `Inheritance' series as a trilogy nine years ago, when I was 15. At that time, I never imagined I'd write all three books, much less that they would be published," Paolini said in a statement.

"When I finally delved into Book Three, it soon became obvious that the remainder of the story was far too big to fit in one volume. ... In order to be true to my characters and to address all of the plot points and unanswered questions Eragon and Eldest raised, I needed to split the end of the series into two books."

KingIsaacLinksr

Sweet!!!  I love these books so another one will be great!  Woot!

King Linksr

Besides...I have no Harry Potter to look forward too /cry
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

I also really enjoyed them.  Sorry the movie didn't turn out a bit better and do more at the box office.  I know the books have elements from other series and even Star Wars, but I find them a lot of fun to read.

Geekyfanboy

"I am pleased to tell you that the title of Book Three in the Inheritance cycle is Brisingr. Sometimes one's first thought is best, and so it was with naming this book. After many months of trying to sum up a complex story in a single word, it struck me that I had had the name all along. For reasons that will become clear when you read Brisingr, this title is perfect.

Brisingr is an Old Norse word for "fire." As you may remember, in Eragon, Brom uses the word brisingr to start a fire. This is the first time Eragon hears an ancient language word, a word of magic. Later, when Eragon is cornered by Urgals in Yazuac, he shouts "Brisingr!" to great effect (see Eragon—chapters "Revelation at Yazuac" and "Admonishments").

Both elements of the cover, the gold dragon Glaedr and the title, touch on Eragon's inheritance. With his painting, John Jude Palencar has captured the dignity and wisdom of Glaedr, and Random House has again designed an awesome book cover.

More exciting news is on the horizon . . .

May your swords stay sharp!

Christopher Paolini (author of the Inheritance cycle)

Rico

Cool!  I wonder when book three will be out?

Geekyfanboy

I'm hoping that piece of news is announced next.. now that the final book has been split into two.. the first half must be close to being done... can't wait to read it.

Geekyfanboy

I just found the official press release.. the release date is Sept. 20th... can't wait....

For release Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 9:00 a.m. EDT

ALFRED A. KNOPF BOOKS FOR YOUNG READERS UNVEILS
TITLE AND COVER FOR BOOK THREE IN CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI'S
#1 BESTSELLING INHERITANCE CYCLE

BOOK THREE IN THE INHERITANCE CYCLE WILL HAVE A
FIRST PRINTING OF 2.5 MILLION COPIES

New York, NY (January 16, 2008)—Following the #1 bestselling novels Eragon and Eldest, the third book
in Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle will be titled BRISINGR, it was announced today by Nancy
Hinkel, Publishing Director of Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Random House
Children's Books. BRISINGR (BRIS-ing-gr), an Old Norse word for fire, will be familiar to fans of the
cycle as the first word in the ancient language that Eragon hears. The jacket for BRISINGR has been
illustrated by the renowned John Jude Palencar, illustrator of both the Eragon and Eldest covers.
"BRISINGR is one of the first words I thought of for this title, and it's always felt right to me," said
Christopher Paolini. "As the first ancient-language word that Eragon learns, it has held particular
significance for his legacy as a Dragon Rider. In this new book, it will be revealed to be even more
meaningful than even Eragon could have known."

BRISINGR will have a first printing of 2.5 million copies, the largest initial run ever for a Random House
Children's Books title. Originally slated for release on September 23, 2008, the book will now go on sale at
12:01 a.m. on Saturday, September 20, 2008. Hinkel explains, "After the initial announcement of Book
Three's release, we received an outpouring of requests from booksellers hoping to host midnight launch
parties. We have responded to their enthusiasm by advancing the date, and we know fans will welcome the opportunity to celebrate the publication together."

BRISINGR will be published simultaneously in the United States as an audiobook by Random House's
Listening Library division. Michelle Frey, Executive Editor with Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young
Readers, who worked with Paolini on Eragon and Eldest, is the editor of BRISINGR.

Both #1 New York Times bestsellers in the United States, Eragon and Eldest have also been international
sensations. To date there are 50 foreign-language licenses for Eragon alone, and together Eragon and
Eldest have sold 12.5 million copies worldwide. In its first week on sale in North America in August 2005,
Eldest sold more than 425,000 hardcover copies, making Eldest the greatest single-week sale ever recorded for a Random House Children's Books title—hardcover or paperback—and the fastest-selling title in the publisher's history.

KingIsaacLinksr

FINALLY some news!  Thanks Kenny.  Looks promising.  I can't wait for it to come out!

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

Fans of the Eragon (or Inheritance series) by Christopher Paolini can get a chance to see the author as he tours the country for the release of the third book in the series, "Brisingr."  I'm going to try and go when he is in my area on Sept. 29th.

Here's the list of places, dates, etc. for the tour...

http://www.alagaesia.com/tour_2008.htm

Geekyfanboy

I just finished the third book Brisingr... I have to say the middle through the end was FANTASTIC.. started off a bit slow but another great addition to the Inheritance series.. now we wait another few years for the fourth and final book.

Rico

Still reading.  About midway and really enjoying it.