• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Mass Effect

Started by PepperDude, October 28, 2007, 07:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PepperDude

I pre-ordered my copy of Mass Effect for the X-Box 360 today. This sci-fi game--developed by Bio-Ware, makers of Knights of the Old Republic--appears to be fantastic. I read a preview and the high-rated (9.75 out of 10) review on GameInformer magazine and was impressed with what was described. One of the things that I'm looking forward to is that I'm going to be forced to make hard choices that will determine who lives and what events happen. Apparently, the story will be richer than in KOTOR and there will be more choices for the player to make unlike KOTOR which pretty much gave you the option between good and evil choices.

Did I mention that the characters' voices are lip-synched and will feature the voices of Marina Sirtis, Seth Green (Austin Powers, Without a Paddle), Keith David (Crash, Delta Farce), and Lance Henriksen (Aliens, Sasquatch Mountain)?

This game will be released Nov. 20. I'll post a review several days later. Is anyone else excited about this game?

Rico

I've heard a little about it so far.  Sounds interesting.  Looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

Jen

Yep...I'm looking forward to this one too! It looks really good. They say it's on par with KOTOR as far as game length and story go. I'm going to  preorder mine too.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jobydrone

I'm getting Mass Effect the day it releases for sure.  I've been looking forward to this game for about a year now.  Screw the preorder BS though, I don't like to be tied down to a particular store or company especially when you consider everything that can happen with shipping problems and other kind of SNAFUs. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Akitu

I was ready for this game when they first started talking about what seems like forever ago. Every time I see a new trailer or other video I get happy that I pre-ordered it already.

I usually pre-order through gamestop and I've yet to have any problems about getting it on the street date. Granted it doesn't come until 4 in the afternoon but that's probably healthiest for my school work.

PepperDude

I have so much to do this Tuesday! I hope have time to get my copy of Mass Effect!

Jen

Ug...I'll have to wait until Christmas. I think David wants to buy it for me. He asked me to hold off on buying anything for myself so he has options as far as gifts go.  :)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

Ugh, with all the games coming out I am *really* wanting to get myself a 360. I hate this.

Jen

Just rented Mass Effect. Several recognizable actors lent their voices to the game:
Sounds like Seth Green- Joker (voice)
Marina Sirtis -Matriarch Benezia (voice)
Kieth David -Captain David Anderson (voice)
Jennifer Hale, who played Bastilla in KOTOR- Female Commander Shepard
Raphael Sbarge, who played Karth from Knights Of The Old Republic

I love this game. I'm only a few hours in and so far I'm very engaged in the story. The system is familiar... It's enough like KOTOR for me to understand how the system of question and answers works, but still unique enough to keep me from being bored by the same 'ol same 'ol.

The camera work on this game is awesome. The graphics are unlike any I have seen yet. It totally blows Oblivion out of the water.

The captain reminds me of Admiral Adama from BSG...I think it's his uniform. Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. I'll keep posting...

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

PepperDude

I played the game for one day two days after its release but I haven't played it since--not because I don't want too. I haven't had time to sit down and play the game for a few hours. I'm a level 7 colonial hero aiming to reach that Paragon status. The game is really good. Did you change your character's looks? Did you also start out as a hero or as a "troubled" person?

My only small gripe with the game is part of the interface. I have problems selecting my abilities and weapons with the analog stick on that circular window/interface. It takes a lot of getting used to.

Other than that, I think the game is good so far. I think the storyline is really good and VERY extensive. I can't wait to play it in like. . .3 or 4 days.  ???

I'd forgotten about the actors' voices. You're very perceptive.

Rico

Everyone playing this on the XBOX 360 then?  My son seems interested in it maybe for an Xmas gift.

Jen

Yep, that's what I'm playing on. I think it's only out on the XBox 360 right now.

I chose the hero Pepperdude. I think the orphan storyline is done to death... so I went a different route. I did change my character's appearance. I don't like how that's done. It's not as good as Oblivion's character customization. There aren't enough choices really. I guess it's a chick thing, but I wanted my female character to look like me...instead I accidentally gave her a big nose and a pasty complexion. I wish I could alter it during the game. Oh well...that's just picky stuff.

Did you change your character's appearance? Did you have the same difficulties?

The menu interface did take a bit of getting use to, but I think I caught on after a little trial and error. :)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

PepperDude

Actually, I didn't change my character's appearance because, like you said, there weren't enough choices. I was going to but I was afraid I was going to mess up my guy's looks. If you, an artist, messed up your character's look the first time, then I certainly would've messed mine up. My character, Johnny Shepard, is one handsome chap.

BTW, I think Oblivion has a better character customization because the characters are generally ugly-looking anyway. . .they look ugly to me at least.

Jen

Quote from: PepperDude on December 10, 2007, 07:55:10 PM
BTW, I think Oblivion has a better character customization because the characters are generally ugly-looking anyway. . .they look ugly to me at least.

My Oblivion character is rather attractive...  :D
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

I completed the game recently as an Adept on the Veteran difficulty setting. It took about 29 hours to do, though I didn't follow all the side plots...it could take much longer to complete if you explore more of the game. It is well done and if you like Knights Of The Old Republic, I don't think you'll be disappointed. But you may notice some similarities between the two games, namely some of the plot points.

SLIGHT KOTOR and MASS EFFECT SPOILERS:
In KOTOR, you have a fellow Jedi named Bastula in your group. Through a set of circumstances she ends up twisted by the darkside and you have to confront her.  You will have to fight her and she escapes only to cause trouble for you again further down the road...then depending on your "charm" abilities, you can turn her back to the lightside or you have to kill her. There is a scene in Mass Effect that is very similar, only you are confronting an individual who is not in your group, but apart of the same organization you are indoctrinated into. It reminded me a lot of KOTOR... The person in question asks you to join them, you try to talk sense into them, it fails, they escape and you have to fight them again later.

Like KOTOR, you have the ability to explore romantic relationships with one of two individuals in your group. I chose to see what happened when following the Kaiden Alenko story line. I was surprised by the end of that side story—unlike KOTOR, there's a suggestive movie scene at the end. It's very benign, but you may not want a kid playing through it.

Other than the plot there are several things, as far as the story is concerned, that reminded me of Knights Of The Old Republic. The voice actor who plays Kaiden, played Karth in KOTOR. I like his voice and I thought he did a good job of separating the two characters, though they do have similar personalities.

The game uses quick travel methods to get around the Citadel, in the form of a terminal that you can access next to some sort of landspeeder. It looks JUST like KOTOR. They didn't even try to hide that fact. In fact, I think Bioware just recycled that element from Knights Of The Old Republic.

If you play this game, choose a character with biotic capabilities. The straight soldier won't get you through the game, or so I've heard. Listen to the Podcast "A Balanced Player" episode BP22 and BP23, available on iTunes, for more information. The host of this show has also given very good advice, in other episodes, for Oblivion character building tactics. 

The sniper rifle and the assault rifle don't work very well...don't use them. Gaming Steve, from the "Gaming Steve" Podcast, says these items were broken on purpose, because the game was too easy to win when they functioned properly. He is a game programmer and knows what he's talking about. But don't listen to Gaming Steve's harsh reviews on this game...He has great feedback most of the time, but I think he's being a snob with regards to this game.

Despite the things I've mentioned above, the game is still VERY enjoyable and the reason for that is the AWESOME story. In fact, I love it so much I'm playing it through again as a Vanguard on the Hardcore difficulty setting. I want to see if I can achieve another ending and complete all the side quests.

FYI Drew Karpyshyn was the head writer for this game...he also helped write KOTOR I and II and he penned the Star Wars Novels Darth Bane: Path Of Destruction as well as Darth Bane: The Rule Of Two. He's a great writer and a future legend. 

The Mass Effect Sound Track is very unique. It has a futuristic sound that I find refreshing.  The ambiance sound is a little too "80's synthesizer" for me and I turned the music down because of it...but the action scenes are great! FYI...The "Spectre Induction" and "Victory" tracks are my favorites.

Check out this link to sample the soundtrack: http://store.bioware.com/products/mass_effect/soundtrack.html

So in closing, I give this game two thumbs up. I usually rent games before I play them...I did so with this one too and I decided it was well worth the 60+ dollars. If you enjoy KOTOR, buy this game. It's not as long as Oblivion, but it will satisfy your sci-fi/RPG itch.  ;)

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast