• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Best Stand Alone TNG Episodes

Started by wraith1701, October 17, 2007, 07:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraith1701

I'm curious about what the other forum members think are some of the best stand alone, or non 2-part episodes of TNG. 

For me, it would be a 4-way tie between Lower Decks, The Inner Light, Cause and Effect, and Yesterday's Enterprise.

Lower Decks provided a new perspective on the day to day life of the crew of the Enterprise.  I liked the fact that we were able to look at Picard and the senior officers from an ordinary crewman's point of view.  For me, it was often easy to forget that the ship had a crew of hundreds who all had a part to play in day to day operations.  This episode reminded me of this fact.

The Inner Light was for me one of the most emotionally engaging episodes of the series.  I think that Rico pointed out how bittersweet this episode is in one of the podcasts.  On one hand, Picard gets to experience falling in love, helping to raise kids, and living a fruitful life surrounded by family and friends.  Of course, at the conclusion of the episode, he realizes that it was all a fantasy; he has to live with the realization that what may have been the happiest time of his life was only an illusion.

Cause And Effect was just flat-out awesome!  I'm something of a Starship geek; I consider the Enterprise-D to be one of the stars of the show.  It was therefore cool for me to see the ship in well-executed action scenes, even though the scenes were all about the ship blowing up.  The temporal-causality loop story construct was fascinating, and I liked the idea of a time-displaced Starship-- it was cool to see a Kirk-era ship and uniform make an appearance in TNG.

Yesterday's Enterprise
is probably my favorite stand alone episode of the series.  It has a little of everything I love about Sci-Fi:  well-executed space battles, alternate timelines, and a story involving people putting aside personal concerns and risking their lives for the greater good.  Plus, we are introduced to the Ambassador Class Enterprise-C.  I love the design of the ship; mostly because of the way it bridges the gap between the Kirk-Era Constitution Class ships and the Galaxy Class.

What are some of your favorite episodes?

Jen

My Favorites:
The Inheritance-Data creates Lal. This episode was both funny and sad. While I can't say it's my all time fav, it's at the very top of my list. 

The Measure Of A Man

I Borg

The Child- Troi has a baby named Andrew. I really liked this story. I think it showed off Marina's abilities as an actress.

The Host- Beverley falls in love with a Trill named Odan. This episode had a very good twist.

Ethics-Worf is paralyzed after an accident. This one was disturbing but its still one of my favorite episodes.

The Chase

Parallels-Worf experiences a weird temporal disturbance.

The Next Phase- Ensign Ro and Geordi think they're dead

Fist Full Of Datas....hilarious.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any more right now. :)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

moyer777

Ok some of the best stand alones...

I borg (I am Hugh?)
The Most Toys (Smell that?  Bubble Gum!)
Yesterday's Enterprise (You can call me Richard)
Relics (No bloody, A, B...)
Coming of Age (Do these things scare you?)
A matter of Honor (One or both?)

Oh, so many more good ones.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

markinro

1. The Inner Light
2. Family
3. Lessons
4. Tapestry
5. Q'Pid
6. Q Who ?

Rico

"Yesterday's Enterprise" is great.  I also love "Family" & "The Inner Light"

billybob476

I don't know if I'd call Family a "stand alone" episode as it relies heavily on Picard's experiences in Best of Both Worlds. I'd almost consider Family to be Best of Both Worlds Part 3.

For me it's definitely "The Inner Light". I also really enjoy "Disaster", Troi in charge of the ship (the first time you catually din out she's a Lt commander), Worf delivering Molly in 10-Forward, Picard singing Frere Jacques, great times.

Rico

The trouble with the "stand alone" idea is nothing really is stand alone.  The impact of "Yesterday's Enterprise" has a lot to do with Tasha's senseless death in season one.  "The Inner Light" has a lot of emotion due to the fact that Picard has never been able to settle down and have a real family.  But yes, "Family" does depend a lot on "The Best of Both Worlds" set of episodes.  But I just really love that episode.

billybob476

I guess the best episodes are the ones that are really character-driven. None of those can really be considered stand alone. If you just watched "Family" without any knowledge of what came before, you'd have no idea what's going on, same with "Yesterday's Enterprise". Also any Q episodes would be a bit confusing.

jedijeff

Tapestry
Yesterdays Enterprise
Time Squared
Relics
Rascals

Jen

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

Geekyfanboy

Here's a bit a trivia... the boy who played young Picard in "Rascals" also played his Nephew in "Family"

moyer777

Yes, I had noticed that.  Pretty cool.

"he's my number one dad" 

I am very sad that Spike took TNG off their line up.  I'm going to have to get the DVD's now.  I used to DVR them and watch in the evening. 

Oh well. 

:lol2

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Geekyfanboy

There are so many great stand alone episodes and you guys have listed some of my all time favorites. Here's just a few in no particular order.

I Borg
The Inheritance
The Inner Light
Disaster
Cause and Effect
Yesterday's Enterprise
Lower Decks
Parallels
The Next Phase

And I can go on and on.