• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Kirk Casting

Started by Blackride, September 27, 2007, 05:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackride

I am not sure if this was posted yet, but I didnt see it. I could just be blind though.

http://www.mania.com/56144.html
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

Interesting possibility.  Maybe they are getting closer.

darthcooley

Quote from: Rico on September 27, 2007, 07:01:12 PM
Interesting possibility.  Maybe they are getting closer.

I hope they are gettign closer because Xmas 2008 sure is gettign closer :dalek

starvoyage

interesting. i havent been following this. last i knew, Matt Damon was still in the running!

i saw Metamorphosis from the season 2 of the original series the other day and did some wikipedia searches on it.  i knew that the character Zefram Cochrane was also in First Contact- what i didnt know was that Tom Hanks was originally set to play the role! I can't really picture him in a Trek movie...

Rico

Yep - Hanks is a big TREK fan as are other Hollywood stars.  I do wish they would settle this casting stuff soon.  At one time they were suppose to start filming in November!

Rico

A new contender and one that seems fairly likely has come forward for the part of Kirk in the new film.  He looks the part very much - but can he play Kirk?

Story from www.trekmovie.com

This is the big one folks — 27 year-old actor Chris Pine is in talks to play James T. Kirk in the new Star Trek movie. TrekMovie.com was tipped off on the Pine talks earlier, but before it could be confirmed the story showed up at the Hollywood Reporter (which is pretty good confirmation). Pine is a relative unknown, but right now a bit of a hot commodity in Hollywood. In fact the actor is mulling over two roles (playing Kirk and a part in a new Joe Carnahan / George Clooney film) with negotiations focusing on the overlapping shooting schedules. Pine may have to choose one over the other and if he picks Clooney over Kirk, Paramount and Abrams are reported to have a number of backup options (this seems to back up our earlier report that Mike Vogel was not the leading candidate for Kirk, but was being looked at).

Pine first appeared in 2003 with some TV guest spots on shows like ER and CSI: Miami. His film debut was in the 2004 chick flick Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement and he has appeared in four other films since. According to the Hollywood Reporter, it was his 'scene stealing' role as a neo-nazi assassin in the 2007 action film Smokin Aces that has caught the attention of producers and casting agents. Pine comes from an acting family with two grandparents, both parents and a sister in the business. His father Robert Pine appeared Star Trek Voyager (Liria in "The Chute") and Star Trek Enterprise (Tavin in "Fusion"). If Pine ends up taking Trek over the Joe Carnahan film, it will be the second time that director J.J. Abrams has nabbed something away from Carnahan. In 2005 Abrams was brought in to replace Carnahan on Mission: Impossible: III...something that Carnahan did not take well.

Time will tell....

wraith1701

This guy seems to be a much better choice than Mike Vogel.  I don't know anything about either of the guys' acting ability, but at least Pine looks a little more like Kirk.  Of course, you'd have to slap in some contacts to correct the eye color.

Rico

Well it's about 99.9% confirmed now that Kirk will indeed be played by Chris Pine.  He has dropped out of an offers for the Clooney movie.

jedijeff

Thats cool, he does have a very Kirk look to him

Rico

100% Official now.  Chris Pine will be playing Kirk and Karl Urban will be McCoy.

Story here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071018/film_nm/startrek_dc

Geekyfanboy

Wow.. I guess they are not going with "no name" actors.. everyone they cast have blockbuster hits under their belts.

Rico

With the main leads yes - but they are not huge stars like the idea of Matt Damon for Kirk that we heard quite often.  I'm just confused how the ages line up.  McCoy is suppose to be older than Kirk by about ten years and Kirk older than Chekov and Uhura about ten years as well.  But the actors they have picked are not that far apart in age.  We'll see how this all works out.

billybob476

Well it wouldn't be too hard to adjust their ages a bit with make up and such.

Rico

Maybe.  But here's what you can't change with makeup.  If the movie does in fact take place just post Starfleet Academy for Kirk and Spock then Chekov would be a young teenager as well as Uhura.  Pretty hard to do that with makeup on the actors they have picked.

jedijeff

I like Karl Urban, just not sure if I can see him as Dr McCoy, but I will trust the producers that he is a good choice. Looks like things are finally shaping up, so that is great this is becoming more of a reality..