• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

NASA Begins hunt for new astronauts

Started by Rico, September 18, 2007, 03:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Want to head into space?  Check this out:

Tariq Malik
Staff Writer
SPACE.com  Tue Sep 18, 3:15 PM ET

Astronaut hopefuls with the right stuff have a fresh chance to reach for the International Space Station and, ultimately, the moon, thanks to a new NASA hunt for qualified spaceflyers.

The U.S. space agency announced Tuesday that it is accepting applications for its 2009 Astronaut Candidate Class. Would-be spaceflyers have until July 1, 2008 to apply, the agency said.

"They would begin duty at the Johnson Space Center in August 2009," NASA spokesperson Katherine Trinidad told SPACE.com of the new astronauts. Based in Houston, Texas, the Johnson Space Center (JSC) is home to NASA's space shuttle and ISS mission controls, as well as its astronaut corps.

After completing basic training, members of the 2009 astronaut class could go on to fly long-duration flights to the ISS or lunar flights aboard NASA's future Orion Crew Exploration Vehicles, NASA officials said.

Trinidad said there are currently 91 active NASA astronauts training for spaceflights or performing technical duties. An additional 15 international spaceflyers are also on active duty, she added.

To be considered for NASA's astronaut corps, applicants must hold a bachelor's degree in engineering, science or mathematics and have three years of relevant professional experience, the space agency said.

While most successful applicants are veteran engineers, scientists or pilots of high-performance jets, NASA also urged educators to apply for its newest class of astronauts. Experienced teachers of kindergarten through the 12th grade level are also considered qualified, NASA officials added.

There are currently four educator astronauts in NASA's spaceflying ranks, the first of whom -- former Idaho schoolteacher Barbara Morgan -- completed her first spaceflight last month aboard the space shuttle Endeavour. Morgan participated in ISS construction during NASA's STS-118 mission in August and served as backup to the agency's first Teacher in Space Christa McAuliffe before the 1986 Challenger accident.

NASA will announce the final selections for the new astronaut class in early 2009 after a six-month interview and evaluation process.

"We look forward to gathering applications and then being able to select from the largest pool possible," said veteran astronaut Ellen Ochoa, NASA's chief of flight crew operations at JSC, in a statement.

The 2009 astronaut candidates will be NASA's first new space-bound class since 2004, when 11 new spaceflyers joined the U.S. space agency. Included in the 2004 group were three educator astronauts. A trio of spaceflyers from the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) also trained alongside the 2004 class.

To apply for NASA's 2009 astronaut class, visit here: http://www.usajobs.gov

Click here or call (281) 483-5907 for more information via NASA's Astronaut Selection Office.
VIDEO: Orbital Acrobatics Aboard Space Station IMAGES: 2004 Astronaut Class in Training All About Astronauts

Original Story: NASA Begins Hunt for New Astronauts

Visit SPACE.com and explore our huge collection of Space Pictures, Space Videos, Space Image of the Day, Hot Topics, Top 10s, Multimedia, Trivia, Voting and Amazing Images. Follow the latest developments in the search for life in our universe in our SETI: Search for Life section. Join the community, sign up for our free daily email newsletter, listen to our Podcasts, check out our RSS feeds and other Reader Favorites today!

Blackride

The question is..... Do you have the "Right Stuff"?
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Ktrek

Quote from: Blackride on September 18, 2007, 04:07:16 PM

It depends upon who you ask! My wife would say I do. I take her to the moon and back all the time! :biggrin

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Blackride

Quote from: Ktrek on September 18, 2007, 04:34:50 PM
Quote from: Blackride on September 18, 2007, 04:07:16 PM

It depends upon who you ask! My wife would say I do. I take her to the moon and back all the time! :biggrin

Kevin

nice.....lol
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.