• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Top 5 Comedy Movies

Started by Darth Gaos, September 05, 2007, 11:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Gaos

With all the top 5 lists I noticed there were a few comedies that made peoples lists.  Also there were a couple of my favorite comedies quoted quite regularly in the SkypeCast from a couple of weeks ago so I figured why not a top 5 comedies list.

One difference though...don't just list the movies....tell me why you like them, nothing long just a sentence or random thought or even a line from the movie.  Without further adieu..here are my five favorite comedies of all time(in no particular order):

Duck Soup:  Groucho Marx is quite possibly one of funniest human beings to ever walk the planet.  You must listen VERY closely to him or you WILL miss jokes.  He had a beautifully quick and sly way of delivering his lines.

Airplane: A genre of movies I always describe as "literal slapstick"  This movie is 28 years old (I believe), I have seen it many, MANY times and yet I STILL laugh every time I watch.  "Surely you can't be serious?"  "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective:  "Hey Ace, ya got anymore of that gum?"  "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you to stay out of my personal affairs."  The most absurd answer to a question EVER.....MAN I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!  And that line is a fine example of why.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail:  One of the funniest and most quotable (usually by guys) movies ever.  By far the funniest of the Python movies.  "Help, I'm being repressed!!!"

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie:  The show was one of the most brilliant ever on TV and the movie was absolutely hilarious.  Unfotunately the movie suffered from a lack of proper marketing and studio execs who didn't "get" the show and insisted on editing the movie to a measly 74 minute runtime.  Still for my money some of the funniest 74 minutes ever set to film.

So there's mine...what are y'alls?
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

davekill

In no particular order...

1. J-Men Forever

Peter Bergman and Phil Proctor of "The Firesigntheatre" fame shred bad '40's and '50's serials a-la MST3K.

With so many jokes, quips, and asides thrown in - watching it once won't be enough.
---

2. Moscow on the Hudson

Robin Williams

a Russian musician defects in Bloomingdale's department store in New York and finds adjusting to American life more difficult than he imagined.

"Yesterday I bought my first pair of American shoes. They were made in Italy".
---

3. Raising Arizona

Nicolas Cage and Holly Hunter

An ex-con and ex-cop try to find happiness.

"Prison life is structured - more'n some people care for."
---

4. Repo Man

Emilio Estevez, Harry Dean Stanton, Olivia Barnes

Life as a repo man in 1980's Los Angeles, Punk Rocker era

"An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations. A repoman spends his life getting into tense situations."
---

5. Galaxy Quest

Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alen Rickman

A homage to TOS in a parody of Star Trek. The film contains numerous references to events in
the lives of the Star Trek actors.

A. Instead of ripping off the standard Star Trek "Swooosh-thweep" sound for their automatic doors, the NSEA
Protector's automatic doors were given the same "Tweeep-Clunk" sound effect as the doors in the original
version of the video game Doom

B.The NSEA Protector's serial number is NTE 3120. NTE is short for Not The Enterprise.

C.Sarris' ship closely resembles the giant planet-destroying ship from "The Doomsday Machine".

"You know, with all that makeup and stuff, I actually thought you were SMART for a second."
---

And a tip of the hat to:
Mystery Science Theater 3000 (not the movie)

During the Joel Hodgson years.

[Main character in movie gets attacked by invisible enemy]
Joel: "Oh look, they were too cheap to hire villains."

Dan M

Quote from: Darth Gaos on September 05, 2007, 11:45:10 AM

Duck Soup:  Groucho Marx is quite possibly one of funniest human beings to ever walk the planet.  You must listen VERY closely to him or you WILL miss jokes.  He had a beautifully quick and sly way of delivering his lines.

Airplane: A genre of movies I always describe as "literal slapstick"  This movie is 28 years old (I believe), I have seen it many, MANY times and yet I STILL laugh every time I watch.  "Surely you can't be serious?"  "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: One of the funniest and most quotable (usually by guys) movies ever.  By far the funniest of the Python movies.  "Help, I'm being repressed!!!"

I thought about this the other day while responding to one of those other list threads.  These were the three movies that came to mind for me.  Your reasons are dead-on.

If my children grow up without an appreciation of the Marx Bros., I'll feel that I failed as a parent.

Rico

Another tough question.  In no particular order:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Airplane
Office Space
Ace Ventura
Team America

Many others I love too.  40 year old Virgin and Galaxy Quest are great too.

Dan M

Here's a bunch of my other favorites:

Blazing Saddles
Caddyshack
Stripes
Groundhog Day
Ghostbusters
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
National Lampoon's Vacation
National Lampoon's Animal House
The Naked Gun
A Fish Called Wanda
American Pie
40-Year-Old Virgin
Wedding Crashers
Clerks
There's Something About Mary

Dragontrek

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Caddyshack
National Lampoons Vacation
Office Space
Dumb and Dumber (lots of people hate this...still)

Rico

Oh, I have to toss in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" and "A Christmas Story."  My two favorite Christmas films.  Funny every year I watch them again.

Bryancd

In no particular order:
Airplane!
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Caddyshack
Stripes
Vacation
Dr. Strangelove

jedijeff

Here are some of mine
Bill and Ted excellent adventure
40 year old Virgin
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
National Lampoons Vacation
Harold and Kumar go to White Castle
Dude, wheres my car
Trailer Park Boys: The Big Dirty

I am sure there are a few more, just can't think off the top of my head

Jen

Oh, mine are chic flick comedies...

I'm a HUGE Audrey Hepburn fan, so I have to add my favorite Hepburn movie: Charade (romantic comedy/suspense thriller) staring Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Walter Matthau. Grant plays a lier, you never know who the heck he is, as he keeps changing his name.  Hepburn and Grant are classy actors and the dialog between them is intelligent and funny. I love the banter:

Reggie Lampert (Hepburn): You're blocking my view.
Peter Joshua (Grant): Ohh... which view would you prefer?
Reggie Lampert: The one you're blocking.

The Quiet Man, Won 2 Oscars. It was directed by John Ford and stared two of my most favorite actors: Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne. This movie is GREAT!!!!!  I watch it almost as many times as Star Wars. It's a romantic comedy but my macho husband even enjoys this movie. It's got lots of Irish brawls and funny quotable scenes:

Mary Kate Danaher (Maureen O'Hara): Could you use a little water in your whiskey?
Michaleen Flynn: When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

"He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long."

"Sir!... Sir!... Here's a good stick, to beat the lovely lady."

You've Got Mail staring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. I relate to Meg Ryan's character and find the whole movie great! Especially the grocery store scene...I have avoided so many people in the store the same way she does. Yes, it's another romantic comedy, but it's another movie my husband also enjoys.

One of my favorite quotes in this movie is:

Joe Fox (Tom Hanks): The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino!

Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan): Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one. It got on at 42nd, and off at 59th, where, I assume it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake - as almost all hats are.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail It's hilarious...need I say more?

"Bring out your dead!"
"I'm not dead!"
"What?"
"Nothing. There's your ninepence. "
"I'm not dead. "
"Er, he says he's not dead. "
"Yes he is. "
"I'm not. "
"He isn't. "
"Well, he will be soon, he's very ill. "
"I'm getting better."
"No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment."
"Well, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations."
"I don't want to go on the cart."
"Oh, don't be such a baby."

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts."

Ghostbusters...I loved this movie as a kid.
""Get her." That was your whole plan, huh, "get her." Very scientific. "
"Someone blows their nose and you want to keep it? "

My Big Fat Greek Wedding- This movie is how I viewed my huge family and David's itty bitty one during our wedding...but without the gross bride's maids dresses. Awesome movie...very funny. There are way too many scenes that are hilarious to list here. The whole thing is funny.

"I've never seen my sister this happy, Ian..... If you hurt her, I'll kill you and make it look like an accident."

Meet The Parents staring Robert De Niro and Ben Stiller -This poor guy! I felt so bad for him, but I don't think I stopped laughing the entire time I watched this movie.

Greg (Ben Stiller): Oh, dear God, thank you, you are such a good God to us. A kind and gentle and accommodating God, and we thank you... oh sweet, sweet... Lord of hosts for the smörgåsbord. You have so aptly laid at our table this day... and each day, by day, day by day, by day..Oh dear Lord, three things we pray... to love Thee more dearly.... to see Thee more clearly... to follow Thee more nearly, day, by day, by day..... Amen.

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

X

Wow. This is a hard one. I've seen way too many movies but I'll try in no real order.

View Askew movies.

Princess Bride.

Taladega Nights

Evil Dead Series

Sandler's early movies.

Free Enterprise

brazilianjiujitsu1979

Ernest Goes to Camp is AWESOME  Classic
National Lampoons Vacation  Awesome...........Eddie is great
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation............Wonderful Film
Police Academy...................................................Gutenberg is classic
Blackbeards Ghost (disney)..........................Funny even now

Jen

Quote from: brazilianjiujitsu1979 on September 06, 2007, 08:50:03 PM
Ernest Goes to Camp is AWESOME  Classic
National Lampoons Vacation  Awesome...........Eddie is great
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation............Wonderful Film
Police Academy...................................................Gutenberg is classic
Blackbeards Ghost (disney)..........................Funny even now

Blackbeard's Ghost is great.

Shawn Of The Dead??? Anyone???
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Lots of good movies gang.  Jen, I didn't know you were such a fan of the older movies.  Me too!  Love John Wayne too but I don't think I've seen The Quiet Man.  I just slipped it into my Netflix queue.

moyer777

Comedy... oh boy!

1.  Rocketman (1997)   Starring Harlin Williams, William Sadler,Beau Bridges... the list goes on.
This is one of the funniest movies ever made.  Fred Randall goes to Mars.  What a great flick.

My favorite quotes:

"it wasn't me!  It was Julie!"
"It was the hairy one!"

"Uh, I ran into Gary in the hall"

"Sweet Swirling onion rings!"

"But mom, I'm almost a full (cracking voice) grown man!.. Ok, I'll take a rocket."

"Honey, I think he's packing his own underwear right now!"

"Son, the world wants to know why you look like a smurf!"

Oh man, the list goes on and on.  Sci Fi geek humor, it's a great show.

2.  The Princess Bride.  1987
A romantic comedy full of craziness and quotable lines.  I laugh as many of my friends quote this movie on a weekly basis.

let's see...

"Life is pain your highness, anyone who says differently is selling someting."

"Have fun storming the castle boys...Do you think they'll make it?-  It would take a miracle... "

"Now, if we just had a holocaust cloak-  You mean like this one?  Miracle Max said it fit me so well I could have it!"

"Welcome to the pit of Despairrrrrrrrrr.. .(clear throat) Don't even think about escaping!"

"I do not envy the headache you will have when you wake, but for now, sleep well and dream of large women"

"My way's not very sportsman like."

Oh I could go on and on.  Very fun.

3.  Monty Python and  the Holy Grail 1975
What can I say?  This is a classic.  Silly, Entertaining, Quoteable and a total gas. 

Let's see..

"How do you know she's a witch?"
"Ok, we did the hat .. and the nose, but she's still a witch"

"She turned me into a newt!"... pause... "A newt?"  pause again "I got better"

"Very small rocks!"

"Ah, but what else floats?"
"A duck!"
(crowd) ahhhhhh!

BEDEVERE:
Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?
ARTHUR:
I am Arthur, King of the Britons.
BEDEVERE:
My liege!

"Some call me...  TIM!"

Someone stop me!

4.  Muppet Treasure Island   1996
Ok, I know this is a kids movie, but it is AWESOME!  Man, the music, the jokes, they are all great.  And of course anything with Tim Curry and Kermit the frog on the same movie has to be good.

Ok, some quotes....

"would you stop it with booze already?  Your melting paint of the shuffle board!"

"Margaritas at the midnight buffet!"

Captain Abraham Smollett: [shouting flabergasted] Who hired this crew? This is undoubtedly the seediest bunch of cutthroats, villains and scoundrels I have ever seen, so who hired them?
[Everyone points at Young Squire Trelawney, who in turn points at his finger]
Captain Abraham Smollett: Your finger hired the crew?
Squire Trelawney: No, that's silly. The man who *lives* in my finger hired the crew: Mr. Bimbo.
[Holds finger to ear]
Squire Trelawney: What? Ah, yeah, he relied heavily on the advice of an excellent cook, Long John Silver.
Captain Abraham Smollett: A cook? And a guy who lives in a bear's finger?
Squire Trelawney: Exactly!
Captain Abraham Smollett: [Smollet and Mr. Erroll sigh heavily] I'm starting to worry about this voyage.
Mr. Samuel Erroll: Mm-hmm...

5.  Napoleon Dynamite 2004
The all time geek hillarious movie.  The more you watch it, the more funny it gets.  Every scene is a killer if you have a room full of people and some time on your hands.

Ok, here we go....

"Your mom goes to college!"

"My other arm!"

"Can you pull me into town?"

"Don't you wish you could ever go back?"

"Stay home and eat all the frickin chips kip!"

"Tina you fat lard, come and get some dinner!"

"With a frickin 12 gauge, what else would I use?"

"But my lips hurt real bad!"

" I caught you a delicious bass"

"This is pretty much the worst video ever made"

"it took me three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip"

AHHHHH! Stop me, this movieis addicting!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com