• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Back stories

Started by Jen, August 17, 2007, 10:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

I was inspired by Duffster's supplementary story that he posted in his character's profile a few weeks ago. He wrote a cool little mini story that gave us an idea of who Tain is. You should check out if you haven't yet...it's very cool.

I've been working on Sevryll's over arcing story (Joss Whedon style)...So that I'll have some idea of how to write her within the Seasons of the RPG. Hopefully this will be spread over several real-time years.  She'll eventually have a beginning, a middle and an end that I will keep to myself until its time to post something that relates to our story.

But, I'm thinking about writing her past history, in mini-stories, that will be added within her character profile thread.   I think this will help me learn more about who she is, and how she would react to things, by writing her past. Since we only get to post twice a week in the RPG, this will provide me an opportunity to scratch my writing itch while I'm "warming the RPG bench" so to speak.

If you guys are interested in doing the same for your characters, I'd be interested in reading them.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

X

Yes. I am very interested in writting a bit of back story. there are a lot of years in Aeric's life that would make for a good yarn.

Duffster

I am glad I inspired you. I have always found it easier to write a character if I take some time a write down a story or two about how they ended up with the personality that they currently have.

I plan on writing some more Tain back stories, especially since he is a bit different then any other characters I have written.

And will also be very interested in reading others back stories.

Duffstre
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

X

A quick question. Where are we posting backstory?

Jen

In your character's profile thread. Check out Duffster's character profile. He added posts within the thread. He didn't edit the original profile. :)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

KingIsaacLinksr

Well, I'm currently nearly done with the next posting of Isaac.  As for backstory...you'll hear about it soon enough.  This character ought to intrigue you guys.

If not...thats your problem :)

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jen

Just a reminder to check the character's profiles. Some of us have back stories that are continuing to unfold there—Duffster, Just X, Kinglinksr (I think) and myself, so far are the only ones. Just X posted a very interesting and revealing post about Aria's temporal disappearance.

Anyone who wants to do the same, just post a reply in your character's profiles. They're fun to read and some reveal more about the character and why they do some of the things they do. Check it out once a week or so.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

KingIsaacLinksr

Thats correct Jen, I am working on the back story to Isaac.  I'm going to reveal more as soon as I get some stuff done this week and as the RPG story moves along.

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

3 Ducks in a Man Costume

That might be interesting for a spy. I'll have to give his history some thought this week.

X

Just so we are clear, many of the things that I am putting into my backstories are not common knowledge, but more for the reader to get an idea of the character. Aeric has a ton of backstory due to his nature and much of is wasn't put into Starfleet databases due to the nature of his work.

Jen

Great job on the backstories X and Ducks. I'm enjoying them. Keep them coming.

I'm tying to build up to an introduction of how Sevryll met her husband, but I don't want to get rid of her the current bo in her backstory just yet. I think he needs to be around long enough for people to like him first. And I'm not sure I want to kill him off because that would be too cliche.   
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Geekyfanboy

I just want to say one thing about the back stories.. they are there to round out your character more but you can't expect everyone to read them, please don't rely on your back story to explain something in the current RPG role.

Jen

I've been adding parts of my backstory into the RPG when it makes sense to do so. I can't put all that detail into the story, especially if it doesn't have anything to do with the current storyline.

Really the backstories are a great place to help the writer figure out who their character is. Especially for me—as you know I like to plan things out and it helps me to figure out who my character is exactly. Other than that it's just fun to write them. Read them if you want more stories that are unrelated to the current story line. Skip them if you can't keep up. It's not required reading and Kenny's right not everyone is reading them.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

In addition to the backstories that Just X, Duffster and myself have added within our Character's profiles (Aeric James, Cedric Tain, and Commander Sevryll)... Omra and Hawkeye have added backstories to their profiles as well. When you get a chance check them out. Feel free to add your own backstories to flesh out your characters. This has helped me quite a bit in understanding how my character reacts to things. I've built a history for her and have spent time working on the different experiences she had growing up.

Let us know if you've written one by posting a heads up  here... and please comment on other member's backstories here as well.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast