• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Space Shuttle Enterprise - cast picture

Started by Rico, August 10, 2007, 05:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Check out the blast from the past picture below at the ceremony from back in the 70's when the first test Space Shuttle was named ENTERPRISE

source:
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/67680main_enterprise_trek_full.jpg

Jen

It's funny that you posted that pic Rico. My husband and I were just talking about the Shuttle Enterprise. I was naming all the Shuttles and when I named the Enterprise he said he didn't know there was one. It was the first Shuttle wasn't it? The prototype?  I hope they name the next craft after the Enterpriseâ€"to keep the Star Trek tradition. Picard and crew can pose near the new Enterprise.  ;)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Dan M

Enterprise was the first shuttle built.  It never went into orbit.

Cool pic.  I'd never seen it in color before.

Rico

It was a training craft.  They did a number of tests with it taking it up on top of a large plane and releasing it to allow it to land and test the aerodynamics.  It is kind of a shame the shuttle the fans got named Enterprise never made it into orbit.  Hopefully the next gen shuttle will have an Enterprise in the fleet that goes into space.

Darth Gaos

It would be really cool if the next gen shuttle was named Enterprise....I think that should be a NASA tradition, naming at least one craft from each generation of manned craft "Enterprise"........well until NASA goes the way of the dodo and becomes Starfleet. ;)
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Jen

Unfortunately, I think they're working on the dodo thing. They really need some cash flow for maintaining and upgrading equipment as well as a few more employees who aren't certifiably loco. But I'm with you on the Enterprise thing.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast