• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

I don't get the point of collecting

Started by Q, July 17, 2007, 10:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q

I just don't get it.  Why do you wanna pay a ton a cash for a ton of figures, or other accessories, and then let them sit around and collect dust?  Just piling a ton of collectibles seems like a big waste of cash to me if your not going to use them.  Especially if you buy the same thing like 50 times.   :dry
"If it wasn't for us [SG-1], you would have a snake up your head instead of your head up your ***." -Colonel O'Neil

Bryancd

I have dabbled in a very minor way with collecting. I would go through phases where I wanted things from a particular movie or a prop that was very iconic. I used to have a number of lightsabers, Master Replica's and pre- Master Replica fan made stuff. I've alo had a lot of different blasters from SW, Blade Runner, Logan's Run, original BSG. A Stormtrooper helmet even. Basically stuff I had always wanted as a kid but never was able to have because they didn't exist or were too expensive
Most of that stuff I grew tired of and sold back on ebay. The only thing I kept is a real graflex Luke ANH lightsaber hilt, a MR Anakin F/X saber, and art asylum and ST The Experience communicator and a bunch of mdels I made of ST and SW ships and a few Hasbro SW ships I have repainted to look more Studio Scale. That's it for me. The rest of the stuff folks collect I think is cool, but not something I would spend money on. The item need to connect with me strongly to consider buying a couple hundred dollar whatever that is just for me to stare at all day, and right now nothing really appeals that way to me.
I actually stumbled across a collecting holy grail 2 years ago when I bought from a guy his Star Wars stuff which included a complete set of the original 12 back carded SW figures, on the cards in perfect condition and which included a vinyl cape Jawa and one of only 3 double telescoping Ben figures ever found. As neat as it was to have something that amazingly rare, I sold them and took my family to New Zealand for 2 weeks. Wouldn't take that trade back for all the world. The real memories of the trip were worth so much more to me.

Jen

To each his/her own. Why do people collect art? books? movies? Why do people do anything?

It varies. Some people collect as an investment (not always a good idea), some collect for sentimental reasons, some collect because they enjoy the hunt, others enjoy displaying the items they collect. Just like books, art and movies.

Me? I've collected a few things, but my attention span as far as collecting goes, is short....which is easy on the pocket book. ;)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Q

I can understand making a profit from going on ebay lol.  But I still think some people are insane the way they can fill 3 rooms full of collectibles or more.
"If it wasn't for us [SG-1], you would have a snake up your head instead of your head up your ***." -Colonel O'Neil

Geekyfanboy

Well I have collected since I was 7 years old, I'm almost 37 so it's been almost 30 years. I collect comic books, books, magazine, trading cards, movie and TV memorabilia and of course action figures.

Quote from: Jen on July 17, 2007, 10:43:43 AM

It varies. Some people collect as an investment (not always a good idea), some collect for sentimental reasons, some collect because they enjoy the hunt, others enjoy displaying the items they collect. Just like books, art and movies.

I agree with Jen.. there are many reasons why people collect stuff. I don't collect for investment.. I can't see myself every selling off my collections. I have sold some stuff but for the most part I don't see me selling off the important stuff. I do collect stuff for sentimental reasons. I use to enjoy the hunt when I was younger but as I get older it's much easier to buy stuff online :). And of course I love to display my collection. I collect because it bring me joy. Life is hard enough and there is so little that brings joy to ones life. This is something that I love doing, I work hard for my money so I can enjoy this hobby. It's not all consuming, I have my limits, but can call me insane, I've been called worse. I enjoy the look on people's face when they enter my "toy room". I can sit in my toy room and look at something and it brings back such great memories. The bottom line is I enjoy it, it's part of who I am.

Rico

This is a long standing discussion topic here and on other forums I visit.  The real crux of the problem is those that like collecting certain things will never really be able to make others that are not that interested understand their desire or passion for a particular item.  It would be like trying to get someone to like a painting that you love and must have and they think it's junk.

When I was much younger we didn't have a lot of extra money and also there was very little around you could buy in the stores as far as merchandise from TV and movies.  So I built many of my early collectibles myself.  In those days I had a lot of free time and little money.  I spent summers constructing Trek bridge pieces, models, my own props, etc.  These days I have more money, but very little extra free time.  So I collect what I like and enjoy.  Never for profit or resale.

To me, some of the higher end stuff is like collecting fine art - which it basically is.  There are people who fill their homes with paintings, sculpture, etc. because they admire it's beauty and craftsmanship.  I feel the same way about many of the items that I collect.  Simple as that.  :)

jedijeff

I agree with the sentiments of the others as well, and agree with Rico that it is difficult to get someone to understand why a person would collect certain things.

I know for myself, growing up, my family was never rich. We were not poor by any stretch of the imagination, but my parents had to be careful with what they had. I know for myself that meant that a lot of the toys that were out when I was a kid I never got. I had Star Wars figures growing up, and a few small ships such as a landspeeder, but the higher priced toys I never got. I remember many Christmas's asking my parents for the Millenium Falcon, but every year it never being under the tree. Back in 1995, they released the Falcon again, and my parents bought it for me for Christmas ( I was 26 I think at the time). It is not the Vintage Falcon, or even a Studio Scale Falcon, and they have released a better Hasbro Falcon since, but it will always be a piece that I will keep, just for the memories that it represents. So a lot of the reason I collect is for nostalgic reasons.

I also like to collect for some other reason Jen mentioned as well. Sometimes the actual hunt for the Item proves to be more enjoyable then actual item in the end. I know there have been Items that I have hunted for, and have kept in my collection for a few years, but then sold or traded for something else. I don't really like hunting for modern toys anymore, and do more buying online for those if I do buy. But others things such as Vintage toys, I like hunting for, going to Toy Shows and Cons, flea markets and places like that in hopes of finding something. Plus over the past few years it has become a lot more social then when I started, and I have met a lot of people in my area and everyone helps each other out which makes it fun. Even meeting people online like these boards makes this fun and helpful.

Over the past few years I have gotten into some of the higher end props as well. I agree that the prices of some of these seem really high, but for me it is worth it. I have a few MR Lightsabers, and the craftsmanship on them is amazing, and look great displayed. Not saying that limited Editions is the be all, and not that I am concerned about the value, but it does feel a bit special to own something that only a certain amount of people have. I realize how people who collect prints and paintings must feel.

I guess in the end, collecting is a Hobby, just like any other hobby a person may have, and if it is something they enjoy then that is justification enough.

Locutus

If you do not understand collecting, then collecting is not for you.

I do not understand sitting in a hot parking lot with your shirt off, getting burnt, cooking hamburgers or hot dogs on a grill, drinking beer until you are dehydrated in the sun, then squeezing into a crowded stadium to watch a bunch of men in tight pants chase around a weirdly-shaped ball and jump on each other, so clearly Polo is not for me.

It's just a matter of taste, sir.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Rico

Well said Locutus & Jeff.  Again, it is very hard to explain why you like anything to someone that just doesn't see the appeal.  Some things are more universal in people liking them but I think many Sci-Fi fans tend to walk to the beat of a different drummer, so to speak.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.  :)

Q

Quote from: Locutus on July 17, 2007, 11:13:27 PM
If you do not understand collecting, then collecting is not for you.

I do not understand sitting in a hot parking lot with your shirt off, getting burnt, cooking hamburgers or hot dogs on a grill, drinking beer until you are dehydrated in the sun, then squeezing into a crowded stadium to watch a bunch of men in tight pants chase around a weirdly-shaped ball and jump on each other, so clearly Polo is not for me.

It's just a matter of taste, sir.

Lol, but it seems like a waste of cash to me... oh well

Rico

WOW!?!?!  I'm not even in the same league or galaxy as that. 

Locutus

Quote from: Q on July 18, 2007, 10:46:45 AM
Lol, but it seems like a waste of cash to me... oh well

What is "cash" but a means to an end? And what is collecting but an end? Therefore, spending cash on collecting can not possibly be a waste, since that is what cash was created for.

I ask, Mr. Q, do you buy video games? Magazines? Books? Shoes? I daresay, there are probably DVDs in your collection I could shake my head at and declare a waste, but they make you happy. (Even though they hurt the children. Why do you hate the children, Mr. Q? Why?)

While I may feel that some collections are a bit excessive and obsessive, there is always someone on a different level who could point to you and declare "n00b!" and other such epithets. I collect comics, horror figs, DVDs, Books, and other figs I think are cool. I generally leave them in package because, well, I no longer have time to stage mock battles starring Snake Eyes and the GI Joe team vs Skeletor, Darth Vader, and my 20" tall blow up Godzilla. Besides, sometimes the packaging is part of the figure; for instance, the Extra Bloody Leatherface fig.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOVIE-MANIACS-EXTRA-BLOODY-LEATHERFACE-FIGURE-1998-MOC_W0QQitemZ280079536095QQcmdZViewItem

As a horror fan, that's just cool.

Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Jen

Quote from: Locutus on July 18, 2007, 04:30:07 PM
(Even though they hurt the children. Why do you hate the children, Mr. Q? Why?)

:roflmao ...ah...ha...ha-ha... OK, I'm fine now, you can continue.  ;)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

KingIsaacLinksr

Collecting for me has never been very big....until now  :blink  Now though, I'm starting to collect N-Scale Model Train Cars, Locomotives, Etc.  I've even got a track being built at this moment by yours truely.  It is probably the MOST expensive thing I could go after......*only the best for me lol*  But hey, you know, as long as YOU are happy and your life isn't being screwed up by it, then its fine by me...as long as it isn't drugs....smoking.......drinking, etc.  lol

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr